And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Spurs didn’t / couldn’t beat Chelsea for 16 years, 13 years of that was prior to Roman buying us in 2003. I think that’s a pretty good indicator that our ‘money’ played no part in that.

Then add in a few FA Cups, Community Shields, Cup Winner Cups, League Cups, Full Members Cups, Super Cup, League Titles and a Double thrown in for good measure, ALL before Roman, I think people get obsessed by the myth that we were unsuccessful as a football club on the pitch prior to Roman’s arrival, and yet we were, and possibly punching well above our weight, but those trophy’s and records all prior to 2003 don’t lie, but hey, let’s not let facts get in the way of some people’s obsession of us and our ‘money’ 😏

You've won 22 major titles in your existence. Spurs 17. So unless you're gonna convince me you've won less than 5 since roman took over. Your history was comparable. At the time you were taken over you were done. You'd had a good run and were a good prospect. I've also never said you had no history, But you had no financial clout and played on a beach. Without Roman your success wouldn't have continued. That's not myth.

Your head to head wins doesn't mean a thing in regards to club size.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Is it not 15 out of the 22 major trophies have arrived since Roman took over the club ? Spurs have won 1 out of their 17 major trophies since Roman arrived

So looking at the “major” trophies Spurs were a considerable amount ahead of Chelsea before Roman arrived. Didn’t Chelsea go something like 20 years or so from the 70’s until late 90’s not winning anything beyond a second div title ?

So yep Chelsea did have success before Roman - small success compared to a lot of teams but the arrival of Roman gave Chelsea the majority of their success

Why ‘major’ in inverted commas, what don’t you recognise as a major trophy, aren’t all trophy’s an indication of success?

The only trophy I’d agree to remove from any of our stats would be the 2 community shields, that still leaves 11 well won trophy’s prior to Roman.

I have never disagreed that Romans or any investors money wouldn’t or hasn’t influenced the success of any club, why wouldn’t a business owner invest and put money into their club/business, whether that be from their own personal wealth or securing a loan, if any owner wants their business/club to be successful, they’ll invest in it to make it more competitive and thus yield the profits and success from that investment in the future years, its basic business practice, why should football just because it’s a sport be any different.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Why ‘major’ in inverted commas, what don’t you recognise as a major trophy, aren’t all trophy’s an indication of success?

The only trophy I’d agree to remove from any of our stats would be the 2 community shields, that still leaves 11 well won trophy’s prior to Roman.

I have never disagreed that Romans or any investors money wouldn’t or hasn’t influenced the success of any club, why wouldn’t a business owner invest and put money into their club/business, whether that be from their own personal wealth or securing a loan, if any owner wants their business/club to be successful, they’ll invest in it to make it more competitive and thus yield the profits and success from that investment in the future years, its basic business practice, why should football just because it’s a sport be any different.

Most people recognise major trophies as European, the countries leagues or top flight trophies. Div 2 titles, St. Johnstone’s paint, Euro super cup or charity shield don’t count.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Needs a spurs loss, arse win and an 8 goal swing...You think that's going to happen?

Erm, you posted 5mins ago when the match has well finished, I posted as Brighton equalised, that put Arsenal on 67, Spurs 70, hence if Arsenal won last match and Spurs lost they’d both have 70, but Arsenal would still stay in 5th due to goal difference, I think you’ve read my post wrong, as I clearly stated this scenario and that GD could be key to keeping Arsenal in 5th, no mention of them being able to overcome a 8 goal difference!

D

Deleted member 15344

Major trophies -

Top League title - Prem or First Div until Prem came
FA Cup
League Cup

European Cup/ CL
UEFA Cup/ Europa League
Cup Winners Cup

They are the major Club trophies the top teams play for. And before Roman arrived Chelsea won 7 of them Spurs 16

No one has disputed what happened when Roman arrived but before that Chelsea in terms of success were behind a lot of teams including the likes of Spurs.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It’s 8 then, but like I’ve said, I’ve never disagreed that Romans investment in his business/club hasn’t made a difference, any business with good targeted investment should bring a return, and we’re seeing that now with an excellent structured business model that’s brought in record profits for the last 2 financial years.

Things change, especially in business, and football is now big business, and those that want to hold onto the past wrapped in their comfort blankets will fall by the wayside, that’s the cruel reality of world sport, across many sectors now, not just football, it’s no good moaning or complaining about it, it’s here, it’s gone too far to change, but getting back to the case in point, it was stated ‘no amount of money will make Chelsea bigger than Spurs’, well that’s simply not true, and no doubt is why Levy has invested, by way of loans, to build a new 1bn+ stadium, I say good luck to him, but personally I think they should have waited until they built a winning a team and were challenging for titles first, not sure when they last won a ‘major’ trophy, can’t be bother to Google it, but I think the stadium is premature imo, for reasons I have stated prior, in that, I think with no honours again and with no substantial increase in wages for their stars, I think some will get restless, and then what!

We can all look back at history, Liverpool’s is undeniable, it’s a thrilling end of season battle now going to the last games, but another empty treasure chest and can you maintain the same football next season, or will the fall from such a high be too much for some? We won the titles back to back with 90 points plus both years, like you’ve said, this summer and all it’s issues will be interesting, can you build on what you’ve achieved, or will others not be so far off the race as they’ve been this season, but one thing I’m sure of, whether key players go or not, of which I think achieving CL was key, Chelsea will figure more next season than they did this one, irrelevant of bans etc, even if we lose the appeal.

D

Deleted member 15344

What makes you believe that Chelsea will be able to make a step forward ? You are one that is very vocal for the manager to leave ? Do you still believe in that - without being able to buy players and the high chance of Hazard going that doesn’t leave much in the squad - big issues in every department and even though Chelsea have a lot out on loan the majority are on loan for a reason. Chelsea with Hazard having a superb season have stumbled over the line it’s hard to see how next season Chelsea will figure more ? CL is always key to a team -but need to be able to buy players and right now Chelsea can’t. And I don’t think it helps with Roman being absent at the moment

Klopp has shown that he has been able to build on the previous season - each summer he has gone out and bought players that have taken us a step forward and I have no doubt he will do it again this summer even if on a smaller scale than previous years , but I expect City will improve as well and it’s very hard to see how the four teams below can improve that much - 23 points between 2nd and 3rd - that’s a big gap to breach.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another shocking performance and another kick in the supporters gonads.

The good thing is Ole can now hopefully look for replacements and get some of the crap out of the club.

Time for other fans to get the digs and banter in we deserve nothing else.

Do laugh at the Liverpool fans that talk of it taking years for us to get back to the top,although I did say it about them and it came true.

A little off tangent but football actually these days nearly brings me to tears(not literally) but I’m actually beginning to hate it.

The cheating,diving,feigning injury,trying to get fellow professionals sent off,poor officiating etc is just killing the game.
Yes it will continue because the money in the game is too big and the stakes too high.
Totally agree with the last bit.
I don’t go much anymore , lost a bit of love for the game..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very poor from both Arsenal and United and both managers have a huge operation in the summer to clear a load of dead wood. I wonder how many players they will get rid of and who comes in? I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility for Arsenal in particular to miss out again on a CL place next season as well

On a side note, good news for Chelsea as Frankfurt got mullered https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48169910

Also good to see Harvey Elliott set a record https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48169910 Word has it he's a real talent in the making and hopefully he'll get game time in the championship and start to make progress

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Football is big business now and as with any business if you don't invest in the future your business will fall behind the competition and stagnate, I think most fans even the most bitter Chelsea fans will admit that Levy is no mug, to move to a new stadium with nearly double the capacity although risky makes good business sense to me, especially as THFC are owned by a big investment company that Levy has investments in.

The cost of the new ground was near 1 billion but the total loans covered for the build was around 537m.

As a business Spurs recently posted world record profits of 113million eclipsing Liverpools profits of 106m for the same financial year, the wage bill is probably half that of the other top 5, whilst this might tempt players away the future, especially with quilfing for C/L again looks good to me.

But we must invest to strengthen the squad now and I think the money is there to fund this.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the comment every team has got them” is part of the problem. I dont think every team has. Its like saying “it evens itself out over the course of a season”. If one team scores 150 goals over a season and one scores 50. Hows it gonna even itself out. Simple maths dispels that. What every team does not have is a serial diver. Argue amongst yourselves who they are.
But the game is changing, VAR is proof of that. Yet some folk don't want it. Why? If it proves a lot more of the decisions are correct. Then next year we can talk about Football on here
( coz its a football thread) and not iffy decisions. Same with diving. If diving is helping to win games, retrospective bans and if needs be point deductions need to be part of our beautiful game. Coz at the moment it is starting to look Pig ugly.
I can’t agree about every team I think they all do it.
But in the main it’s the teams that are on tv most of the time that get called out.
I will watch the games if I am not doing anything else.
But won’t go out of my way to watch anybody except the reds.
Retrospective action dosnt help the team they dive against but a “reversal “of the match result might get their attention. Or points deduction and given to the team that suffered from the dive.
Only a suggestion other punishments are available!
But we know it won’t happen.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I count the Simod Cup as a major. Unlucky to be beaten by Man Utd in the Watney Cup.

We have also won the Championship twice, so that is three majors in total. We also hold the record number of points in the Championship, 106.

Lost count of the Berks Bucks and Oxon cups we have won.

Good to support such a successful team.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Football is big business now and as with any business if you don't invest in the future your business will fall behind the competition and stagnate, I think most fans even the most bitter Chelsea fans will admit that Levy is no mug, to move to a new stadium with nearly double the capacity although risky makes good business sense to me, especially as THFC are owned by a big investment company that Levy has investments in.

The cost of the new ground was near 1 billion but the total loans covered for the build was around 537m.

As a business Spurs recently posted world record profits of 113million eclipsing Liverpools profits of 106m for the same financial year, the wage bill is probably half that of the other top 5, whilst this might tempt players away the future, especially with quilfing for C/L again looks good to me.

But we must invest to strengthen the squad now and I think the money is there to fund this.

a lot of that could almost be what was written about arsenal when we moved from highbury to the emirates, the key is adapting to what happens going forward rather than sticking to the outdated plan (as arsenal tried to when the landscape changed greatly)

levy is shrewd theres no doubt but theres some big hurdles ahead in terms of whether you manage to keep key players and strengthen where needed whilst having to pay higher wages etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I count the Simod Cup as a major. Unlucky to be beaten by Man Utd in the Watney Cup.

We have also won the Championship twice, so that is three majors in total. We also hold the record number of points in the Championship, 106.

That's the epitomy of clutching at straws but arguably still more successful than my mob

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I did mention this the other day re City being the most valuable team In The prem now. Also mentioned that all three teams at the top have some of the biggest stadiums in the league but fans and peanuts in financial contributions was mentioned. It is but Spurs wage bill was highlighted. Unfortunately Spurs being on the rise comes with the comments of no history, oil money 😉 etc etc. Me I see it as a healthy challenge to the status quo of an old top four. Finally Spurs have qualified for the champs league again, Utd haven't. Money aside why would Erikson etc want to play Eurpa football when so utds players ( Pogba) are looking to leave.
PS the club that was quoted as being the best run in the prem league was Burnley.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
a lot of that could almost be what was written about arsenal when we moved from highbury to the emirates, the key is adapting to what happens going forward rather than sticking to the outdated plan (as arsenal tried to when the landscape changed greatly)

levy is shrewd theres no doubt but theres some big hurdles ahead in terms of whether you manage to keep key players and strengthen where needed whilst having to pay higher wages etc

Your right up to a point but I'm unsure the outdated plan you mention is relevant to Spurs.

One of the important decisions going forward is to keep Poch. and the best players, now Levy is no fool and he knows how important this is for the near future, but I'm sure if some silly money would come for Kane or Erickson they would go.

Also what's vital is to keep quilifing for C/L and as it stands at the moment Spurs are more likely to attract the better players than Arsenal or Chelsea, big blow for Arsenal to miss out on top four, and with Hazard likely to be gone in the summer and the owners problems and possible transfer restrictions I can only see Chelsea on the decline.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Silverware of the highest order Rich! We, the Mighty Eagles, have the Zenith Data Systems cup, it doesn't get better than that!