And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 15344

Is there a team in the PL that wouldn't have VVD? Any team that wouldn't be better with him in it? That's usually a decent way to judge if a player is 'all that'

VVD imo would walk into the starting line up off any team in World Football - that’s how good he is. The best CB in Europe imo

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Was VVD any good for Southampton?
Because I can’t remember the love fest for him then.
Quality player,but I’ve never known the media blow so much smoke up a players arse.

He was immense for a year. Then blatantly downed tools. His attitude stunk the place up.

Will be intriguing of Liverpool don't win anything in next year or two and barca come knocking.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it really crazy ? This is a player that has turned a top 4 team into a title challenging team - he has made a backline the best in the league - his stats are unreal for a CB, this season not one single player has managed to dribble past him. He is fully deserving of his plaudits and put any complaints down to sour grapes and being a tad jealous

He’s had a great season but thats all it’s been, plus, except for City the standard of teams this year is as bad as I can remember.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
He’s had a great season but thats all it’s been, plus, except for City the standard of teams this year is as bad as I can remember.

You need to have a look at historical PL tables then. 3rd this year will be mid 70’s. I believe only season has 3rd been 80 points.

The also rans are as good/bad as they ever were. It just doesn’t suit your narrative.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slight over reaction I feel. Good but definitely not THE best in Europe.

Who would you say is Homer,someone this year who has been immense all year.

I haven’t seen a better centre back for a long time potentially.
This year he has been superb all round,he has also helped others around him improve.

He imo has the potential to be up there with the best the P/L has had,he will have to do it over many seasons though.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would definitely have de Ligt as one of the best this season and in my opinion ahead of VVD.

Hard to tell, the Dutch league is hardly a top league compared to the Spanish, Italian and English leagues

When he gets his move away in the summer I’d be interested to see how he does. I’m sure he will be great but like VVD couldn’t really be deemed a top top player until he got in a top team

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just think of the standard they’re playing at week to week. De Ligt might have the potential to be better but no way he’s proven it this season.
I disagree. Just look at the performances he has put in during the CL run and in particular the second leg in Turin. I admit VVD has come on immensely this season and has the potential to be the best but I personally don't think he is yet. Just my point of view

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I disagree. Just look at the performances he has put in during the CL run and in particular the second leg in Turin. I admit VVD has come on immensely this season and has the potential to be the best but I personally don't think he is yet. Just my point of view

Ok based on that how many times have you actually seen him play a full 90 minutes.
I suggest your basing it on one or 2 games

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It wasn’t that Villa players believed they were entitled for the ball to go out - it’s the fact the Leeds player acted as if he was going to put the ball out due to player who was clearly injured after a foul , so the Villa players sensing that the Leeds playing was acting as if he was going to put the ball out stopped reacting - the Leeds player suddenly went for walking the ball out to releasing a player who was offside as well. It was nothing to do with them feeling entitlement for the ball to go out

The referee also has a part to play - it was a clear foul on the Villa player for a start and he did look in pain and was taken off , then the officials had also stopped hence the Leeds player who was offside was allowed to continue and then when he sent a player off despite clearly not seeing the incident - but then i saw who the referee was - Atwell and that says it all.
1. I don't think he acted like he was putting it out of play at all. He just paused in possession thinking about what to do and then saw the pass up the line.
2. If he was offside, he wasn't flagged by the lino so that's the officials fault, not either of the two teams.

Villa just made a huge mistake and then had a tantrum about it, Leeds then played into their hands by giving them the goal back.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was VVD any good for Southampton?
Because I can’t remember the love fest for him then.
Quality player,but I’ve never known the media blow so much smoke up a players arse.
I mean, he was obviously good enough for Liverpool to spend £75mil on signing him, which was an astronomical amount let's not forget.

And lastly, Sergio Ramos is still the best centre back in Europe for the time being.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

So, a guy who plays for a team who have conceded more that Liverpool and in a mickey mouse league is better than VVD because you saw him play 2/3 games 😂😂😂

Liverpool have gone from conceding 40/50 goals a season to 20 now. The keeper will have helped. But they difference was clear second half of last season even with a dodgy keeper.

BTW. Let's not forget that you thiught calling him the best in Europe was an over reaction and yet managed to name 1 other defender....

D

Deleted member 15344

For me these are the current top 4 CB’s in Football

VVD
Koulibaly
Varane
Ramos

Laporte is prob the next and will replace Ramos and De Ligt will need to do it consistently over a whole season at a top club in a top league

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would definitely have de Ligt as one of the best this season and in my opinion ahead of VVD.

Are you serious? De Ligt has been very good for Ajax in the CL and has the potential to be fantastic, but right now I'd put him behind VVD, Varane, Ramos, Koulibaly, Pique, Chiellini, Laporte, Umtiti and Marquinhos at the very least, as well as possibly Orban. No way he's the best CB in Europe yet.