And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
All a touch confusing

Football and players always gets a bad name mainly down to the way players and managers act - diving etc. Yet here we have an incident where morally it felt wrong that Leeds scored because of the way the players were acting and Villa players stopped - so we have a manager who himself has been part of incidents deciding that it felt wrong and morally does a good thing by allowing the team to score. So for me that should be looked at as a good thing and the actions should be highlighted - yet people are being critical of it ?!?

I also see Sterling got the FWA for Player of the Year - now Sterling has had a good year but others have had more productive ones - Salah , Hazard , Mane , Aguero Ed. but it seems that the FWA have come out and said that they also take into account players conduct off the field - that seems to be the first time I have heard that and it seems that they are looking to give him an award for his good work of the pitch in regards trying to tackle racism - but should that be part of a Footballer of the Year Award ?

Bitterness oozing out of you. Sterling has been a better player than Salah this year, and I say this as someone who couldn't be more critical of Sterling where it's deserved, especially his performances for England last year in the World Cup. I truly think if he had showed up, England could've won the World Cup.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Voted for by the same knowledgeable bunch that put Pogba in the PL team of the year.....says its all.

The players voted Pogba into their team of the year.

The football writers picked Sterling.

"says it all"

Bitterness abound from the Liverpool fans today. Why can't you be happy that so many of your players are even in the discussions for these awards?!

D

Deleted member 15344

Bitterness oozing out of you. Sterling has been a better player than Salah this year, and I say this as someone who couldn't be more critical of Sterling where it's deserved, especially his performances for England last year in the World Cup. I truly think if he had showed up, England could've won the World Cup.
Bitterness 🙄 really ?

You think it’s bitterness that I think Sterling got the award because of his stand to racism ? Any of the players named including Sterling and VVD plus Son are worthy winners , some players have produced more for their team and indeed are more crucial for their team Hazard being a perfect example - take him out of Chelsea and they are mid table , take Sterling out and City still challenge for title.

I applaud Sterling for his stance off the field and indeed at Montenegro and if you wanted to look back you will see I have always rated and stood up for him when many slated him - it’s got nothing to do with bitterness and I’m unsure why you just used Salah as a comparison when other names where mentioned

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I feel that Sterling has been really consistent all season, which can't be said for too many of the other options. Hazard had that really quiet spell around November, Salah also had a couple of goal droughts where his contribution was questioned, Mane didn't really hit form until the turn of the year. But Sterling has been consistently good all season. That's what puts him ahead of the others.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So we’re not aloud to slate Sterling when he underperforms for England,and now he gets an award for playing well for club and it’s not deserved 🤷‍♂️

Some people are never happy 😆

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There was a big Hoo Har because sometimes in a fast moving game, the Ref occasionally got it wrong and made a bad decision ......

So they bought in VAR so the ref can’t make a mistake as everything it looked at in slo Mo and correct judgements made

And now there is another big Hoo Har

Make your flippin minds up footie fans

Grrrrr

Ah say it's 2019 who says Hoo Har, don't you mean big "bost up"

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Was VVD any good for Southampton?
Because I can’t remember the love fest for him then.
Quality player,but I’ve never known the media blow so much smoke up a players arse.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Disagree with that. I remember a few years ago there was a real spate of time being wasted where players were kicking it out, only for the 'injured' player to hop right back to his feet, and the FA I believe dictated that going forwards players should refrain from kicking the ball out and the referee would stop the game for any serious injuries. The Leeds left back to me looked like he was wondering what to do, then saw the pass on up the line and played it, and then that lad scored a really good goal as well, which the defence tried to prevent and couldn't. I don't think Villa have any grounds to be as angry as they were at all. Leeds should never have given them a walk-in goal either, I think that's total rubbish. You should not have to put the ball out when you've got a decent attack going - if you're deep in your own half with nothing on and you want to put the ball out for someone then fine, crack on. Players should never be vilified for not doing it though.

Come what may people are never going to agree with what went off. Re a decent attack going off. The ball was with the left back who was in his own half. And there in lies the problem for me. During the City Utd game, City kicked the ball out coz Rashford went down injured. It was the right thing to do and nowt was said. Later in the game Utd believe it or not we're in a half decent position when a City player went down, Neville is screaming that Utd should not of kicked the ball out. Tosser, he never said that in the first half when City did it. Why does it matter if you are in a decent position. One thing I will agree on is said injured player running around like Bambi once he has been touched by the magic sponge. If a player wants to stop a game for a minute, stand on the sidelines for a minute waiting to come on. Simples. Once more we are talking about players cheating which is affecting the game like diving, fake elbows etc etc. More importantly for me though is if play does not get stopped how do we know if a player is injured or hurt, and there's a massive differance. A couple of years ago KDB went down injured towards the end of a game, opposition keeper tried to pick him up as he thought he was play acting. He had six weeks off with a knackered knee. Bilesa's name was mud early on this season for er cheating of all things. Think his actions are a step in the right direction. A good decision from " dirty Leeds" me finks.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I feel that Sterling has been really consistent all season, which can't be said for too many of the other options. Hazard had that really quiet spell around November, Salah also had a couple of goal droughts where his contribution was questioned, Mane didn't really hit form until the turn of the year. But Sterling has been consistently good all season. That's what puts him ahead of the others.

As a neutral 😉 I think Bernado Silva has been more consistent than Sterling this year.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Reet, last post and am off to the range.

Would like to see these awards at the end of the season.

Stirling could finish the season as a treble winner.
VVD could finish with an excellent double.
Stirling could finish with the Crappyboo cup.
VVD could finish with nowt.

My point is we are at the cutting edge of the season, players could slip and end up with egg on there faces. Players could make title winning saves or score hat tricks. Players could be injured for the last four or five games.

These awards are done to early.

D

Deleted member 15344

I strongly disagree that Leeds goal was 'morally wrong'. The error was made by Villa's players, who mistakenly believed they were entitled to have the ball put out for treatment of an injured player. Leeds giving them a goal was simply letting them off the hook because they made a song and dance about it. I'm mainly being critical of Villa. I can understand Leeds trying to do the right thing, but I don't believe they did anything wrong in the first place.

Did you hear the cacophony of booing from Elland Road as their team allowed the walk-in goal? Clearly precious few of them felt there was any injustice that needed correcting.

Conduct or no conduct, Sterling has been absolutely fantastic and fully deserves a player of the year award. If I was giving out player of the year I'd probably have Van Dijk first and Sterling 2nd. Bernardo Silva or Hazard 3rd. But Sterling has been sensational, end of.

It wasn’t that Villa players believed they were entitled for the ball to go out - it’s the fact the Leeds player acted as if he was going to put the ball out due to player who was clearly injured after a foul , so the Villa players sensing that the Leeds playing was acting as if he was going to put the ball out stopped reacting - the Leeds player suddenly went for walking the ball out to releasing a player who was offside as well. It was nothing to do with them feeling entitlement for the ball to go out

The referee also has a part to play - it was a clear foul on the Villa player for a start and he did look in pain and was taken off , then the officials had also stopped hence the Leeds player who was offside was allowed to continue and then when he sent a player off despite clearly not seeing the incident - but then i saw who the referee was - Atwell and that says it all.

D

Deleted member 18588

It wasn’t that Villa players believed they were entitled for the ball to go out - it’s the fact the Leeds player acted as if he was going to put the ball out due to player who was clearly injured after a foul , so the Villa players sensing that the Leeds playing was acting as if he was going to put the ball out stopped reacting - the Leeds player suddenly went for walking the ball out to releasing a player who was offside as well. It was nothing to do with them feeling entitlement for the ball to go out

The referee also has a part to play - it was a clear foul on the Villa player for a start and he did look in pain and was taken off , then the officials had also stopped hence the Leeds player who was offside was allowed to continue and then when he sent a player off despite clearly not seeing the incident - but then i saw who the referee was - Atwell and that says it all.

Just play to the whistle, otherwise you are just pandering to those teams who just wish to waste time or break the flow of a game.

This is something that Dean Smith has now encouraged two clubs to do, Brentford and now Villa.

Also the challenge that injured Kodja wasn't a foul but that's immaterial.

Play to the whistle.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If people saw the Leeds Villa game they would have seen that not long before this incident Villa had kicked the ball out of play as a Leeds player was lying on the floor ‘hurt’. It was expected then to be reciprocated and we know what ensued

D

Deleted member 15344

Crazy isn’t it?

Is it really crazy ? This is a player that has turned a top 4 team into a title challenging team - he has made a backline the best in the league - his stats are unreal for a CB, this season not one single player has managed to dribble past him. He is fully deserving of his plaudits and put any complaints down to sour grapes and being a tad jealous