And, we’re off.......2018/2019

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They'll get another chance to try again next season. (y)
But is that really enough? We seem no further forward from Wenger when top 4 was the ultimate goal and nothing else. They are light years behind the squads of City and Liverpool and even Spurs. I think United will have a massive clear out but also the cash and inclination to spend and the ability to attract better players than Emre and Arsenal can

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But is that really enough? We seem no further forward from Wenger when top 4 was the ultimate goal and nothing else. They are light years behind the squads of City and Liverpool and even Spurs. I think United will have a massive clear out but also the cash and inclination to spend and the ability to attract better players than Emre and Arsenal can

With regards to the bit in bold - that's a question for Arsenal fans to answer.

The old days of the top 4 being guaranteed every year with the occasional upset of one of them missing out has gone, with Man City and Spurs breaking that model. It's now 4 from 6 qualifying for the CL with Liverpool and Man City seemingly taking two of those places at the minute with the other four fighting it out for the other two places.

That's not to say that situation won't change with either Chelsea or Man Utd (in my opinion being the more likely clubs of the four) taking a step forward and making it 3 or 4 clubs battling for the title. Or even Liverpool falling away if they don't win anything and their best players leave to challenge for trophies or the Man City owners getting bored and walking away if they can't win the CL in the next couple of years. I'm not convinced that Spurs or Arsenal have the desire or spending power (from their owners) for them to be up there year in, year out, challenging for titles.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
There was a big Hoo Har because sometimes in a fast moving game, the Ref occasionally got it wrong and made a bad decision ......

So they bought in VAR so the ref can’t make a mistake as everything it looked at in slo Mo and correct judgements made

And now there is another big Hoo Har

Make your flippin minds up footie fans

Grrrrr

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Manager has only been there one season. It is predominantly Wengers team still. Emre needs to be allowed to create his team with his players.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Manager has only been there one season. It is predominantly Wengers team still. Emre needs to be allowed to create his team with his players.

Absolutely.

It’s not that these players are all bad, far from it, but they are Wenger players and they are no doubt being coached differently. Personally if Wenger was still there with the same players and 1-2 that he would have brought in they would have made top 4 IMO.

That’s not saying Emery is a bad coach, it’s just that he will need more of his own style players to get the team moving forward.

People also forgetting how solid Arsenal looked earlier in the season before losing Holding and then Bellerin.

With a fit squad and 1-2 strong additions in the Summer Arsenal will be up there next year no doubt about it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely.

It’s not that these players are all bad, far from it, but they are Wenger players and they are no doubt being coached differently. Personally if Wenger was still there with the same players and 1-2 that he would have brought in they would have made top 4 IMO.

That’s not saying Emery is a bad coach, it’s just that he will need more of his own style players to get the team moving forward.

People also forgetting how solid Arsenal looked earlier in the season before losing Holding and then Bellerin.

With a fit squad and 1-2 strong additions in the Summer Arsenal will be up there next year no doubt about it.
Is that the same Wenger who has hamstrung Arsenal with the stupid wages he sanctioned for Ozil?

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a big Hoo Har because sometimes in a fast moving game, the Ref occasionally got it wrong and made a bad decision ......

So they bought in VAR so the ref can’t make a mistake as everything it looked at in slo Mo and correct judgements made

And now there is another big Hoo Har

Make your flippin minds up footie fans

Grrrrr
Sorry wrong thread. Could the mods please move to random irritations thread. Grrrrrrr 😂🤣👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
After watching the vid I think the problem is because the Leeds player quite clearly kicks the ball away so Villa can knock it out and get the injured player seen to. The other Leeds player seems unaware of what's happening so carries on and scores. The argument about whether teams should or shouldn't kick the ball out is a bit irrelevant in this case, personally I applaud players who kick the ball out, it shows a degree of empathy for a fellow player who could be seriously injured.
Disagree with that. I remember a few years ago there was a real spate of time being wasted where players were kicking it out, only for the 'injured' player to hop right back to his feet, and the FA I believe dictated that going forwards players should refrain from kicking the ball out and the referee would stop the game for any serious injuries. The Leeds left back to me looked like he was wondering what to do, then saw the pass on up the line and played it, and then that lad scored a really good goal as well, which the defence tried to prevent and couldn't. I don't think Villa have any grounds to be as angry as they were at all. Leeds should never have given them a walk-in goal either, I think that's total rubbish. You should not have to put the ball out when you've got a decent attack going - if you're deep in your own half with nothing on and you want to put the ball out for someone then fine, crack on. Players should never be vilified for not doing it though.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Disagree with that. I remember a few years ago there was a real spate of time being wasted where players were kicking it out, only for the 'injured' player to hop right back to his feet, and the FA I believe dictated that going forwards players should refrain from kicking the ball out and the referee would stop the game for any serious injuries. The Leeds left back to me looked like he was wondering what to do, then saw the pass on up the line and played it, and then that lad scored a really good goal as well, which the defence tried to prevent and couldn't. I don't think Villa have any grounds to be as angry as they were at all. Leeds should never have given them a walk-in goal either, I think that's total rubbish. You should not have to put the ball out when you've got a decent attack going - if you're deep in your own half with nothing on and you want to put the ball out for someone then fine, crack on. Players should never be vilified for not doing it though.

Spot on.

Did it suit Leeds to draw the game in terms of play off opponents?

D

Deleted member 15344

All a touch confusing

Football and players always gets a bad name mainly down to the way players and managers act - diving etc. Yet here we have an incident where morally it felt wrong that Leeds scored because of the way the players were acting and Villa players stopped - so we have a manager who himself has been part of incidents deciding that it felt wrong and morally does a good thing by allowing the team to score. So for me that should be looked at as a good thing and the actions should be highlighted - yet people are being critical of it ?!?

I also see Sterling got the FWA for Player of the Year - now Sterling has had a good year but others have had more productive ones - Salah , Hazard , Mane , Aguero Ed. but it seems that the FWA have come out and said that they also take into account players conduct off the field - that seems to be the first time I have heard that and it seems that they are looking to give him an award for his good work of the pitch in regards trying to tackle racism - but should that be part of a Footballer of the Year Award ?

D

Deleted member 18121

I also see Sterling got the FWA for Player of the Year - now Sterling has had a good year but others have had more productive ones - Salah , Hazard , Mane , Aguero Ed. but it seems that the FWA have come out and said that they also take into account players conduct off the field - that seems to be the first time I have heard that and it seems that they are looking to give him an award for his good work of the pitch in regards trying to tackle racism - but should that be part of a Footballer of the Year Award ?

Voted for by the same knowledgeable bunch that put Pogba in the PL team of the year.....says its all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
All a touch confusing

Football and players always gets a bad name mainly down to the way players and managers act - diving etc. Yet here we have an incident where morally it felt wrong that Leeds scored because of the way the players were acting and Villa players stopped - so we have a manager who himself has been part of incidents deciding that it felt wrong and morally does a good thing by allowing the team to score. So for me that should be looked at as a good thing and the actions should be highlighted - yet people are being critical of it ?!?

I strongly disagree that Leeds goal was 'morally wrong'. The error was made by Villa's players, who mistakenly believed they were entitled to have the ball put out for treatment of an injured player. Leeds giving them a goal was simply letting them off the hook because they made a song and dance about it. I'm mainly being critical of Villa. I can understand Leeds trying to do the right thing, but I don't believe they did anything wrong in the first place.

Did you hear the cacophony of booing from Elland Road as their team allowed the walk-in goal? Clearly precious few of them felt there was any injustice that needed correcting.

Conduct or no conduct, Sterling has been absolutely fantastic and fully deserves a player of the year award. If I was giving out player of the year I'd probably have Van Dijk first and Sterling 2nd. Bernardo Silva or Hazard 3rd. But Sterling has been sensational, end of.