And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Fortunately for City we got the result. That handball was as blatant as you could get yet the ref never saw it. That happens. But under VAR thats a penalty. The right decision will be given and we will be talking about the game itself and not the wrong decisions in a game.
I said after the Spurs game i am all for VAR and i stand by that. Unfortunately cheating, poor referees and a combination of other things are killing the game. Technology like the kind used to correctly give a goal today and the same technology that proved Liverpool were millimetres from scoring v City ensures the correct decisions are made.

D

Deleted member 16999

Fortunately for City we got the result. That handball was as blatant as you could get yet the ref never saw it. That happens. But under VAR thats a penalty. The right decision will be given and we will be talking about the game itself and not the wrong decisions in a game.
I said after the Spurs game i am all for VAR and i stand by that. Unfortunately cheating, poor referees and a combination of other things are killing the game. Technology like the kind used to correctly give a goal today and the same technology that proved Liverpool were millimetres from scoring v City ensures the correct decisions are made.
I don’t like it, all or nothing for me.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Precisely the point.

A terrible injustice? Really? It only looked a pen when it’s slowed right down. It’s impossible to move your body towards an object without moving your arms aswell.

VAR will be the death of this beautiful game.

No this is precisely the point. VAR will kill the game as a spectacle to watch live. The passion will be gone because whenever anything happens instead of reacting naturally (losing your ***) you will just be looking at the Ref with his finger to his ear.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone see what happened in the Leeds v Villa match? The Leeds goal was apparently controversial and so they allowed Villa to walk a goal in. Did Leeds need to do it? Was it the right thing?
No, I think it's total rubbish. There's nothing that says you have to put the ball out, and if it's a head injury or serious one the ref should be stopping the game..I really disagree with this mandated putting the ball out for injuries rubbish. If you've got nothing on and you want to put the ball then do so, but I don't think people should be angry if you don't. Just get on with the game.

D

Deleted member 18588

Why “badly”? There wasn’t any obvious errors today.

It’s only appeasing the tellyclappers.

Abso bloody lutely!

I grew up both playing and watching realising that the ref was right even when he was wrong.

The mistakes that they might make were no more intentional than the keeper who let in a soft one or the striker who blasted one over the bar from four yards out.

Unfortunately many in the television audience don't seem able to accept that the game is played and officiated by humans.

As we have already seen VAR officials can make mistakes so is the technology that much different from the current system.

BTW I wasn't really suggesting Lukaku had a first touch 😉

D

Deleted member 15344

Money is killing the game

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
No this is precisely the point. VAR will kill the game as a spectacle to watch live. The passion will be gone because whenever anything happens instead of reacting naturally (losing your ***) you will just be looking at the Ref with his finger to his ear.

You can lose your sh1t as you put it when the ref calls it, and it will be the right decision. Easier to swallow for all concerned.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You’re happy for any contentious decision to be reviewed?

Football isn’t a stop start game, VAR will turn it into that. Yes, Time will be added on but football relies on continuity, intensity, end to end attacks etc.

Mate it was a penalty claim, when is VAR supposed to be used?

Maybe each team should have 2-3 each, a bit like tennis but to say no VAR at all is wrong IMO.

In a ideal world I wouldn’t want VAR either but we live in a world of crappy refs and cheats.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, I think it's total rubbish. There's nothing that says you have to put the ball out, and if it's a head injury or serious one the ref should be stopping the game..I really disagree with this mandated putting the ball out for injuries rubbish. If you've got nothing on and you want to put the ball then do so, but I don't think people should be angry if you don't. Just get on with the game.

After watching the vid I think the problem is because the Leeds player quite clearly kicks the ball away so Villa can knock it out and get the injured player seen to. The other Leeds player seems unaware of what's happening so carries on and scores. The argument about whether teams should or shouldn't kick the ball out is a bit irrelevant in this case, personally I applaud players who kick the ball out, it shows a degree of empathy for a fellow player who could be seriously injured.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wow. Only catching up with the games after being out all day. How close was the City goal? De Gea's value must be dropping by the day. On a separate topic, what on earth happened at Elland Road. That seemed farcical and some ugly scenes but I guess the decision was right having seen Villa had kicked it out earlier but poor from Jannson who still wanted to stop Villa scoring. At least it won't impact the play off situation

D

Deleted member 1740

Putting rivalry aside, I genuinely felt for City fans that night. Celebrating a winning goal in the dying seconds of a game of that magnitude only for it to be overruled 2 minutes later, those type of celebrations are what match going fans love and look forward too. The raw emotion and joy exploding in that split 2nd is a special feeling.

Instead, we’ll end with a game like American Football taking forever and no doubt ad breaks in between reviews will be added for more sponsorship etc.

D

Deleted member 1740

You can lose your sh1t as you put it when the ref calls it, and it will be the right decision. Easier to swallow for all concerned.

No you can’t, it’s raw emotion and joy in a split 2nd. Nobody knows how they’ll react to a last minute winner. And those match going fans are getting shafted £60+ a game for tickets

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn’t really work like that at the ground though does it - VAR is going to kill that instant reaction when teams score a goal and it’s going to ruin it for thousands.

So what’s worse?

Ruin it for the thousands in the stadium or for the millions of fee paying viewers at home and abroad?

And ultimately cost the club a cup or a place in the league next year?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The media don’t allow this no more, 3 transfer windows seem to be the level of judgement.

I wouldn’t worry about competing with City, you’ve struggled to compete with Arsenal,Chelsea and Spurs this season 😉

We have to set our sights higher than those three .................................. surely!
I can't see Spurs or Arsenal moving forward next season and Chelsea will lose at least one top player without being able to replace him, so they're potentially stuffed for next season too.
City are the ones we must aim at purely because they are currently the best out there.

D

Deleted member 1740

Doesn’t really work like that at the ground though does it - VAR is going to kill that instant reaction when teams score a goal and it’s going to ruin it for thousands.

Yeah but the 300m telly clappers/viewers around the world will be happy

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
No you can’t, it’s raw emotion and joy in a split 2nd. Nobody knows how they’ll react to a last minute winner. And those match going fans are getting shafted £60+ a game for tickets

Imagine paying £60 and getting done by a last minute penalty, getting home only to find that the f@@@@@r dived.

Wish you had VAR then I bet.