And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
After Brighton's "performance" yesterday I'm getting closer to wanting Cardiff to stop up, and I can't be wanting a Warnock side to do well. Complete anti football.

Also, we never committed a foul all game, that can't have happened before?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After Brighton's "performance" yesterday I'm getting closer to wanting Cardiff to stop up, and I can't be wanting a Warnock side to do well. Complete anti football.

Cardiff have to go down. Then they must be refused entry to the premier league again until they stop praying for sala and start paying for sala

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
My issue was the brutality of the take out. It wasn't just a block it was a full on body check. I wouldn't have sent him off for preventing a goal scoring opportunity, I would have sent him off for the wrestling check.

I think it looks worse beciase of the speed. For me it’s a block, the fact it was done quickly doesn’t make it any worse.

It’s calculated, but he was turned inside out and had one option.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I had the misfortune to witness Brighton in action earlier this year. It made my eyes bleed. They systematically set out to make sure nothing happened at any point in the game from the first minute to the last. I suspect that those praising Chris Houghton have never watched 90 minutes of his team performing. I seem to remember that Norwich supporters, who maybe have more refined sensibilities than Brighton's lot, campaigned for him to leave a few years ago. I can see why.

JGolfer

Visit site
Of course, you and City have been by far the 2 best teams. But had 10 of the best 11 players? not for me

Keeper could be one from several, none been standout for me, not convinced Id have Trent Alexander Arnold in and I certainly wouldnt have Fabinho in there of your side

I think the issue we have in the UK is we put too much emphasis on the team did if you took out TAA and put in wan-bissaka of Liverpool's teams you would give the position to Wan-Bissaka in team of the year same for chilwell/digne for Robertson.

I'd put Wan-Bissaka in at right back. Chilwell or digne at left back.

I'd take out agureo and put in hazard. I think people have forgot how good he has been this season because 1. Chelsea have been poor 2. We expect it of him.

NBA Is a good example of how we should build a team of the year. It's very rare you will see the majority of their 1st 2nd 3rd team of the year dominated by the 1st and second best teams. Because winning is the standard of how good a team is. Not a player.

Side note also why I think VVD should be player of the year. Not only has he been standout he has made the Liverpool defence look better than it probably is. He has elevated them all. But if you took them out I think you would see how average their defence is.

Same for Ronaldo at Madrid they kept winning so kept assuming it's fine soon as he left. You saw the issues they had going forward.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watching it this morning and that should have been a red for Ward Prowse - it was close to a clear goal scoring opportunity but that was also very clinical and deliberate as well as potentially dangerous.
I agree ,very similar to the foul that took Origi out on Wednesday he ended up hurt and had to go off.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
My TOTS would probably be:

Ederson

TAA
Van Dijk
Laporte
Robertson

Pogba
Eriksen
B Silva

Sterling
Aguero
Mane

Alisson
Wan Bissaka
Digne
Fraser
Son
Salah
Hazard

Tough to leave Gylfi off the subs bench but had to pick Fraser, he's had a superb season.

D

Deleted member 15344

My TOTS would probably be:

Ederson

TAA
Van Dijk
Laporte
Robertson

Pogba
Eriksen
B Silva

Sterling
Aguero
Mane

Alisson
Wan Bissaka
Digne
Fraser
Son
Salah
Hazard

Tough to leave Gylfi off the subs bench but had to pick Fraser, he's had a superb season.

Pogba 😲 seriously ? Based on a handful of games when OGS took over ?! And alongside two attacking mids so he is the sitting DM ?!?
Surely a mistake

Im not sure if even Utd fans would put him ?!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a hypothetical TOTS, the team isn't going to play a match, so there's no need to pick a balanced midfield or make tactical choices. I just picked who I viewed to be the best players in each area.

As for Pogba. 13 goals, 9 assists in 30 PL appearances is a hell of a return for a central midfielder that was stifled creatively for half the season. I rate him incredibly highly.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's a hypothetical TOTS, the team isn't going to play a match, so there's no need to pick a balanced midfield or make tactical choices. I just picked who I viewed to be the best players in each area.

As for Pogba. 13 goals, 9 assists in 30 PL appearances is a hell of a return for a central midfielder that was stifled creatively for half the season. I rate him incredibly highly.
Aren’t 9 or 10 of those goals from the penalty spot ? And assists - always a very hard stat to use but would you really see him have a better season as say Fernandinho for example ? Even players like Winks , Neves , Moutinho have had more impact across the whole season - Pogba was nowhere for the season until OGS - had a good little spell but then goes missing again and I also rate him very highly in a midfield where he can be left to roam- but in a team of the year this season ?! Is it best in terms of ability or who has played the best ?

Wolf

Visit site
Aren’t 9 or 10 of those goals from the penalty spot ? And assists - always a very hard stat to use but would you really see him have a better season as say Fernandinho for example ? Even players like Winks , Neves , Moutinho have had more impact across the whole season - Pogba was nowhere for the season until OGS - had a good little spell but then goes missing again and I also rate him very highly in a midfield where he can be left to roam- but in a team of the year this season ?! Is it best in terms of ability or who has played the best ?
I think what you point out here is the exact issue of all TOS that get created they're purely subjective and the stats can be viewed as to how the creator of the team interprets it and how highly we rate players from our own point of view.

I wouldnt have Pogba anywhere near my choice of TOS or in any team as I don't like him but then that's my bias as well I guess.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had the misfortune to witness Brighton in action earlier this year. It made my eyes bleed. They systematically set out to make sure nothing happened at any point in the game from the first minute to the last. I suspect that those praising Chris Houghton have never watched 90 minutes of his team performing. I seem to remember that Norwich supporters, who maybe have more refined sensibilities than Brighton's lot, campaigned for him to leave a few years ago. I can see why.
I haven't seen much of Brighton so I can't fully comment on Hughton. However, the comment you make is one I agree with. Pundits look at results and think fans should be grateful. Fans see their team week in week out and want more than pure survival. It's the argument rolled out to justify Allardyce, Pullis and other killers of joy. Houghton to the outsider has done a good job in terms of promotion and survival. Whether it is a good job as entertainment is an entirely different matter.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I haven't seen much of Brighton so I can't fully comment on Hughton. However, the comment you make is one I agree with. Pundits look at results and think fans should be grateful. Fans see their team week in week out and want more than pure survival. It's the argument rolled out to justify Allardyce, Pullis and other killers of joy. Houghton to the outsider has done a good job in terms of promotion and survival. Whether it is a good job as entertainment is an entirely different matter.

Pulis... the current Middlesbrough team wouldn't get relegated irrespective of Pulis being there, there's too much skill in the team for that. But as for promotion... the goalscorers in that team aren't the best, and playing a system that doesn't give them much of a chance sees even fewer goals. Its football to hang yourself by - its so negative it makes a dose of the flu sound exciting.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

This 100%👍

When Allardyce was at West Ham it was absolute dirge, the worst football I had seen in 40 years. And when he left idiots like Richard Keys were going on like he was guardiola! “Be careful what you wish for” “ who do you think you are?” Etc. I would honestly rather be relegated than have him or any manager like him at my club.