And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 1740

Depends how you measure “improvement” I think others mean the only table that matters is the final one.

Its all down to interperation.

Some will only use the final league position to measure improvement, yer know the old "table never lies" brigade.

I think that table that LP has posted shows how much teams have improved on a points basis.

Spurs havent invested in new players yet they've not regressed. Match going fans may see an improvement in the play that the table doesnt show.

Arsenal have increased points and dont seem to be playing any worse than some of the hidings/Performances they took under Wenger.

Everton look a different side under Silva than Allardyce, id have guessed Silvas stats were better.

We've improved points wise but more importantly we're not conceding goals left right and centre, style has changed slightly but we're more solid than we have been in recent seasons.

Some have previously questioned whether Klopp has improved us because we finished on less points than years before etc.

D

Deleted member 16999

Its all down to interperation.

Some will only use the final league position to measure improvement, yer know the old "table never lies" brigade.

I think that table that LP has posted shows how much teams have improved on a points basis.

Spurs havent invested in new players yet they've not regressed. Match going fans may see an improvement in the play that the table doesnt show.

Arsenal have increased points and dont seem to be playing any worse than some of the hidings/Performances they took under Wenger.

Everton look a different side under Silva than Allardyce, id have guessed Silvas stats were better.

We've improved points wise but more importantly we're not conceding goals left right and centre, style has changed slightly but we're more solid than we have been in recent seasons.

Some have previously questioned whether Klopp has improved us because we finished on less points than years before etc.
I like the table, but like you say it’s down to interperation.

No shock Homer dismissed it,:rolleyes:

I’m surprised with Silva tbh, it was only a few weeks ago on here we had people showing he was behind Allardyce points wise at that time, forgetting the fact we’ve conceded less and the football being played is better.

I could see us having more points but being lower in the table come the end of the season and I’m sure the usual suspects would find an angle to that.

I don’t think Chelsea fans will care it shows they have improved. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 1740

Unfortunately football is all about points, playing good football isnt a necessity.

D

Deleted member 1740

Improvement on a points basis assumes every other team is exactly the same, which is nonsense. That table proves nothing except to make Liverpool fans feel better.

😂😂😂😂

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Disappointing result for us yesterday especially not scoring against an Arsenal team that can’t defend.
Fair play to them adds to a very exciting run in.
Results around us also helpful.
Neck and neck at the top and looking at the remaining fixtures you would favour Liverpool.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Disappointing result for us yesterday especially not scoring against an Arsenal team that can’t defend.
Neck and neck at the top and looking at the remaining fixtures you would favour Liverpool.

Hypothetically, if City and Liverpool are the only two realistically that are going to win the title, they both have tough games to play. But I think they both have banana skin games to play. city v palace and Liverpool v Southampton.

Got to say am enjoying the top six battle at the moment.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hypothetically, if City and Liverpool are the only two realistically that are going to win the title, they both have tough games to play. But I think they both have banana skin games to play. city v palace and Liverpool v Southampton.

Got to say am enjoying the top six battle at the moment.
I think City and Liverpool will be unbeaten at home,so imo it will be the away results that decide.
As you say it will be enjoyable to watch

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Favour Liverpool for top 4 you mean?

D

Deleted member 15344

Well I thought it was an interesting stat looking at the way teams are performing comparing this time last season to now - for me when you look at the bare stats it’s not far from what we are seeing anyway, some teams have made improvements this season and it’s showing in Regards the amount of points they are getting - some made changes and it’s worked , some aren’t really improving from those changes and some have gone backwards. It’s a good pointer and for me I expect the fans of those teams feelings will reflect the stat

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well I thought it was an interesting stat looking at the way teams are performing comparing this time last season to now - for me when you look at the bare stats it’s not far from what we are seeing anyway, some teams have made improvements this season and it’s showing in Regards the amount of points they are getting - some made changes and it’s worked , some aren’t really improving from those changes and some have gone backwards. It’s a good pointer and for me I expect the fans of those teams feelings will reflect the stat

I get what you're saying but surely the figures for the likes of United will be skewed given the start under Mourinho and resurgence under OGS. For me though the league table is the true barometer and fans feelings will be based far more on their current form and league position now than on how it looked last season. For example Huddersfield were doing nicely last year but ask their fans about their feeling now and it would be a different story and doesn't need your table to reflect the state they are in. Everton are no different to the points they had last season but would their fans feel they've moved forward?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is devoid of context though. Spurs for example are shown as having the same points as we had at this stage last season - but now we still have the top two teams away from home to come, whereas last season that wasn't the case. So contextually we are doing worse. Because we had the same points but over less difficult fixtures.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
[QUOTE="HomerJSimpson, post: 1969706, member: 489"Everton are no different to the points they had last season but would their fans feel they've moved forward?[/QUOTE]

When you compare us to the Allardyce version then hell yes :ROFLMAO:.

These stats are a bit like possesion stats, interesting but don't tell the full story. Treat them like that but no more.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
[QUOTE="HomerJSimpson, post: 1969706, member: 489"Everton are no different to the points they had last season but would their fans feel they've moved forward?

When you compare us to the Allardyce version then hell yes :ROFLMAO:.

These stats are a bit like possesion stats, interesting but don't tell the full story. Treat them like that but no more.[/QUOTE]
Which is my case in point. You're happier with the football played, but not necessarily the results but you're no better or worse off but feel like it's been a better season because of the style you've played. As you say, it doesn't really tell the full story.

D

Deleted member 16999

I get what you're saying but surely the figures for the likes of United will be skewed given the start under Mourinho and resurgence under OGS. For me though the league table is the true barometer and fans feelings will be based far more on their current form and league position now than on how it looked last season. For example Huddersfield were doing nicely last year but ask their fans about their feeling now and it would be a different story and doesn't need your table to reflect the state they are in. Everton are no different to the points they had last season but would their fans feel they've moved forward?
But you dismissed the table out of hand without any context in your first reply, isn’t that exactly the same of what you claimed the table does.

As Lord T says, it’s a snapshot and most teams can use it both positively or negatively, it’s something to discuss or ignore, nobody made you respond.