And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yes but when yo go the game, believe me your sense of injustice from a bad ref decision is magnified a lot more, than just sat in front of the telly, and I include me in this for when I watch the away games on the telly these days.

30 minutes later , your onto "whats for tea, missus", whereby when your at the match the whole journey home (whether 30 minutes or 5 hours gives you time to stew on it, and it affects your weekend a lot more. Especially when trophies, relegation, champions league places are up for grabs. Yes, Liverpool fans are a bit more desperate at the moment - wouldnt you be if you were in a genuine title race after 30 years of being used to it very season.

Not a dig on non-matchgoing fans, but believe me, you have it a lot easier.

True....I'm still bitter about Sammy Lee being off side in 1981 League Cup Final :(....As wiki says Controversial referee, Clive Thomas, bizarrely allowed the goal to stand :mad::mad::mad:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Of course that annoys the hell out of me. The Pickford error that gave you the derby still hurts but I also don't forget the Gomes header that should have put us ahead. People will remember Pickford for that but they wont remember the miss.

If the ref rules out the 94th minute goal don't forget you had 93 other minutes to do something about the game. I used to play a lot of team sports and that was always drummed into me, experience of playing confirmed it. The result of a game is largely down to you and your team mates, the opposition as well. Don't let the match get into a position where the ref decides it and if he does then suck it up.

Football supporters are largely irrational, remember one incident but forget 10 others. I try my damndest not to put all the blame on the ref though. That is the crucial bit.

LP - Are you still gonig on about that :sleep:. Okay, I'll say it again. You posted the ref had a shocker, you also posted the ref was inept on a separate thread. No one else is really seeing it that way. You are clearly implying the ref impacted the result of the match. Other people have talked about their matches from last night and the night before without mentioning referees. Feel free to play with the meanings of words but it is pretty evident what you are implying. Not worth writing an essay about.

I think you'll find that a lot of premiership games are decided by 1 goal, or two - so think you being very naive if you think that one bad decision shouldnt make too much of a difference.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Were did I actually quote you? Or are you playing the poster?

And we’ll just have to disagree because I can assure you the hurt is 100% the same.

You said "but that doesn’t mean their opinion is any less valid" as if that is either what I have said, or implied.

And what can you compare it against - if you dont regularly go the match, you only have one experience.

I go 99% of home games, now rarely go away games, and watch on the telly (experience both sides). I've also been to over 500 away matches in the UK and Europe, so also have experience of that.

Its weird that considering you try and stay off this thread these days - just 2 subjects bring you back - Everton and one other club.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Footie banter [back in the day] was largely restricted to the works tea room and most [albeit begrudgingly] deferred to those that were there... Unless, of course, it was a derby and folk from both sides were in attendance... Then the 'banter' could roll into Tuesdays tea break...

Preaching to the converted mate, I'm 48.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting that Spurs would send Nkoudou out on loan given they're so short on attacking players. He's featured recently for them, putting in the ball that led to Harry Winks winner against Fulham, so seems bizarre they'd let him go without having anyone lined up to fill the gap in the squad.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting that Spurs would send Nkoudou out on loan given they're so short on attacking players. He's featured recently for them, putting in the ball that led to Harry Winks winner against Fulham, so seems bizarre they'd let him go without having anyone lined up to fill the gap in the squad.
Yea I thought it was a bit unlucky for him as well when he'd just finally got a chance, haha. But with Son back now I suppose chances would still be a bit limited for him.

Still hoping we might sign a midfielder. Chance would be a fine thing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you'll find that a lot of premiership games are decided by 1 goal, or two - so think you being very naive if you think that one bad decision shouldnt make too much of a difference.
I'm saying that there are so many other influences within your control as a team, or purely football related, ie the other team. Worry about them, concentrate on them, don't fixate on the ref. Clearly the ref can influence, we can all pick a match out where that has happend, but there are so many other instances in a game that are within a teams control that the ref should not be the overiding influence.

If we were to pick a game, any team, and watch it through I'm sure we could both find instances where a player could have done something better to create or score a goal, or prevent a goal. The number of those instances would far outweight any refereeing error, massively outweigh. Those get overlooked, unless it is a howler of a miss or David Luiz style defending, but they are there still. They just don't make great punditry moments for tv to focus on them though.

I'll take you back again to a Mark Hughes point I made elsewhere. He would start every press conference with a moan about the ref, 'I don't like to complain about the ref but....' Stoke last year and Southampton this year were not at the bottom of the table because refs were ganging up on Hughes. They were there because they and he were pants. Constant blaming of the ref, not the once every 10 games moan, is an excuse, a diversion from the real issue.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm saying that there are so many other influences within your control as a team, or purely football related, ie the other team. Worry about them, concentrate on them, don't fixate on the ref. Clearly the ref can influence, we can all pick a match out where that has happend, but there are so many other instances in a game that are within a teams control that the ref should not be the overiding influence.

If we were to pick a game, any team, and watch it through I'm sure we could both find instances where a player could have done something better to create or score a goal, or prevent a goal. The number of those instances would far outweight any refereeing error, massively outweigh. Those get overlooked, unless it is a howler of a miss or David Luiz style defending, but they are there still. They just don't make great punditry moments for tv to focus on them though.

I'll take you back again to a Mark Hughes point I made elsewhere. He would start every press conference with a moan about the ref, 'I don't like to complain about the ref but....' Stoke last year and Southampton this year were not at the bottom of the table because refs were ganging up on Hughes. They were there because they and he were pants. Constant blaming of the ref, not the once every 10 games moan, is an excuse, a diversion from the real issue.

Spot on.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I agree with most of what you say .
But if a ref can’t see someone stand on your foot from 10yds after getting himself in the best possible position then he shouldn’t be in the prem or any other pro league.
Most decisions are arguable but that was so blatant.
And at 1-1 that’s him deciding the outcome in a tight game that could have gone either way.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree with most of what you say .
But if a ref can’t see someone stand on your foot from 10yds after getting himself in the best possible position then he shouldn’t be in the prem or any other pro league.
Most decisions are arguable but that was so blatant.
And at 1-1 that’s him deciding the outcome in a tight game that could have gone either way.

maybe if the refs thought players were being genuine rather than trying to con them at every turn they may give these sort of decisions rather than risk looking stupid for giving a penalty for a dive again. time the players and managers took more responsibility but hey ho never gonna happen

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Arsenals loan signing is a bit meh. His record is no better than a few of the kids we have put out on loan. Shouldn't have bothered.
Don’t really get this loaning out players .
If they were good enough they would be playing for their own club.
Can understand young lads getting game time ,but you are a top prem team?