And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We didn’t take our chances because Shmichael made some great saves.
Too a large extent that is my point. I wasn't having a pop at the scoreline or the fact that you didn't win, blimey you are 5 points clear at the top. My point was that the result is down to both teams, good or bad. The impact of the ref is largely nominal. The saves by Schmeicel were more relevant, a misplaced pass here, a missed tackle there, a scuffed shot. All of those regular football moments impact more than one decision by a ref. Fans remember the refereeing decision, pundits love to analyse them, but the games are won and lost by the players out there.

Siewert on Tuesday didn't blame the ref, he complimented Pickford. He was the difference, not a refereeing decision. (not for one moment saying that Klopp blamed the ref)

D

Deleted member 16999

Sky subscribers can be the most passionate ones going, but they arent also paying £700.00 plus all associated costs, not playing golf on that particular day (probably) and many many more reasons.

Its the bigger financial as well as emotional spadework that the match goers put in that generally means it hurts more.
Yes we know, no one ever, ever says current match goers (whether that be ST holders or 1-2 games a season people) have more invested, but that doesn’t mean their opinion is any less valid or it hurts any less.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Too a large extent that is my point. I wasn't having a pop at the scoreline or the fact that you didn't win, blimey you are 5 points clear at the top. My point was that the result is down to both teams, good or bad. The impact of the ref is largely nominal. The saves by Schmeicel were more relevant, a misplaced pass here, a missed tackle there, a scuffed shot. All of those regular football moments impact more than one decision by a ref. Fans remember the refereeing decision, pundits love to analyse them, but the games are won and lost by the players out there.

Siewert on Tuesday didn't blame the ref, he complimented Pickford. He was the difference, not a refereeing decision. (not for one moment saying that Klopp blamed the ref)

What about in the 93rd minute of a 94 minute game a ref doesnt give, or rules out a winning goal?

No effect?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes we know, no one ever, ever says current match goers (whether that be ST holders or 1-2 games a season people) have more invested, but that doesn’t mean their opinion is any less valid or it hurts any less.

Nowhere have I said that an opinion is less valid - not the first time you've put words in my mouth.

Hurts less? Generally? Absolutely!!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was a whole lot easier, being on the terraces, before Sky came along with multiple replays [from all angles] allowing those sitting in the warm [at home] to challenge matchgoers myopic view of what actually happened :(...

The matchgoers can come home though and also see the same replays.

The non-matchgoers cant unless they have a Dr.Who/Star trek time machine/transporter.(y)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

This my post from last night

Well we didn’t take full advantage but we didn’t lose

Leicester back line were immense and we just didn’t create enough even though Schmichel made some great saves from Firmino

Thought the ref had a shocker - could have been a red card by letter of the law ( but could see why he didn’t give it ) , should have been a penalty

Tough game in tough conditions- take the point , increase the gap and move on now

Maybe a bit of nerves creeping in but still a long way to go yet

Do you see that post as blaming the ref ?

This is another comment about the ref

But the ref missed a lot last night , the foul on Maddison , which was a free kick and there were others through the game - think overall he had a poor performance and its not his first

Now you appeared to make an assumption based on my posts that I was blaming the referee for not winning - is that what you really get from those posts

No on stated the result was down to the ref - you have made that assumption up all by yourself why ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What about in the 93rd minute of a 94 minute game a ref doesnt give, or rules out a winning goal?

No effect?

Of course that annoys the hell out of me. The Pickford error that gave you the derby still hurts but I also don't forget the Gomes header that should have put us ahead. People will remember Pickford for that but they wont remember the miss.

If the ref rules out the 94th minute goal don't forget you had 93 other minutes to do something about the game. I used to play a lot of team sports and that was always drummed into me, experience of playing confirmed it. The result of a game is largely down to you and your team mates, the opposition as well. Don't let the match get into a position where the ref decides it and if he does then suck it up.

Football supporters are largely irrational, remember one incident but forget 10 others. I try my damndest not to put all the blame on the ref though. That is the crucial bit.

LP - Are you still gonig on about that :sleep:. Okay, I'll say it again. You posted the ref had a shocker, you also posted the ref was inept on a separate thread. No one else is really seeing it that way. You are clearly implying the ref impacted the result of the match. Other people have talked about their matches from last night and the night before without mentioning referees. Feel free to play with the meanings of words but it is pretty evident what you are implying. Not worth writing an essay about.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Nowhere have I said that an opinion is less valid - not the first time you've put words in my mouth.

Hurts less? Generally? Absolutely!!
Were did I actually quote you? Or are you playing the poster?

And we’ll just have to disagree because I can assure you the hurt is 100% the same.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
The matchgoers can come home though and also see the same replays.

The non-matchgoers cant by a Dr.Who/Star trek time machine/transporter.(y)

Footie banter [back in the day] was largely restricted to the works tea room and most [albeit begrudgingly] deferred to those that were there... Unless, of course, it was a derby and folk from both sides were in attendance... Then the 'banter' could roll into Tuesdays tea break...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s obvious your not having it but would say watch it again.
The ball faded about two yards and would have finished in the penalty area.
The CBS are flat footed and had no chance of catching him.
What do you mean would have finished? Nobody stopped the ball did they? So it either got there or it didn't. Just watched it again, the ball rolls towards the left corner of the 18 yard box but doesn't quite make it in.

The point is, yes Mane would have got to the ball first, running at an angle towards the corner flag, but you can't say for certain that the defence wouldn't have got between him and the goal, therefore he can't send him off. Remember that Maguire is running just as Mane is, but stops immediately when he trips him and hears the whistle go. Obviously if he doesn't trip him he doesn't stop running.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting to see some Arsenal fans moaning that not for the first time Lacazette has stayed on his feet when theres been contact in the box night before last

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What do you mean would have finished? Nobody stopped the ball did they? So it either got there or it didn't. Just watched it again, the ball rolls towards the left corner of the 18 yard box but doesn't quite make it in.

The point is, yes Mane would have got to the ball first, running at an angle towards the corner flag, but you can't say for certain that the defence wouldn't have got between him and the goal, therefore he can't send him off. Remember that Maguire is running just as Mane is, but stops immediately when he trips him and hears the whistle go. Obviously if he doesn't trip him he doesn't stop running.
The ball was in line to go in the penalty area not going wide as has been said .it was only the snow that prevented it.
If your Strikers can’t score from that angle you need a new one.
He brought him down deliberately nowhere near the ball.
Mane bends his run around Maguire “ he even said in his interview he didn’t see him coming”
He needs glasses for a top CB that’s just poor.
It went through Evanses legs so he was wrong footted a bit.
It’s all subjective that’s just how I seen it and the replay just reinforces my first thought.
But you disagree that’s fine.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just read through the last four pages and there's loads I could say, but ave not got a day spare to nswer the responses. But some posts have put a big smile on me face.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's like Wenger never left!

"Boss, we desperately need a centre back. Or three."
"How about another diminutive midfielder? That'll do."

Does feel that way, Emery clearly trying to get a midfielder or two that can offer some width so he can play the formation he prefers (whilst letting Ramsay go and trying to get Ozil out the door too)

Could do with clearing out some of the other excesses too but expect that will wait until summer

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Newcastle doing the best business of the day so far. New left-back + the talented Almiron. Reckon Almiron will be a very decent signing, the sort of player they need.