And, we’re off.......2018/2019

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
maybe if the refs thought players were being genuine rather than trying to con them at every turn they may give these sort of decisions rather than risk looking stupid for giving a penalty for a dive again. time the players and managers took more responsibility but hey ho never gonna happen
He’s still got to use his eyes and judgment.
Maybe it’s not the managers but the powers at the top.
Just tell the managers and players “ if you dive you are off” that will stop it.!
They havnt got the will to do it.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
maybe if the refs thought players were being genuine rather than trying to con them at every turn they may give these sort of decisions rather than risk looking stupid for giving a penalty for a dive again. time the players and managers took more responsibility but hey ho never gonna happen

Totally agree.
Players are constantly trying to con the ref,which obviously makes his job so much harder.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No maybe he’s a factor in the outcome of the game.
That’s the point LT is trying to make. (I think).

Didn’t your players make any mistakes in the game?
Yes of course.
All players do.
So do refs but some are so bad that’s why they get flagged.

Robbo tackle for their goal was really poor ,going nowhere ,no need.
VVD for the goal left his man.

If nobody made mistakes it would be 0-0 every game.
But most teams rely on the ref for correct decisions and it could mean the title or for some relegation by losing just one point.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He’s still got to use his eyes and judgment.
Maybe it’s not the managers but the powers at the top.
Just tell the managers and players “ if you dive you are off” that will stop it.!
They havnt got the will to do it.
Disagree. Hard to make a 100% accurate call based on a one view, two second opportunity so hard to be critical of his judgement. Definitely think it's the responsibility of the manger and the clubs to control their players and stop them diving. It'll never be a straight red card offence but once a star player gets a yellow for simulation and another for another foul which results in a ban and a crucial loss, either in that match or the one they are banned for, then perhaps it'll male a difference. The issue is both the manager/players and the officials are simply waiting for VAR and it'll simply become a tool to answer any marginal decisions to the detriment of the game

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Yes of course.
All players do.
So do refs but some are so bad that’s why they get flagged.

Robbo tackle for their goal was really poor ,going nowhere ,no need.
VVD for the goal left his man.

If nobody made mistakes it would be 0-0 every game.
But most teams rely on the ref for correct decisions and it could mean the title or for some relegation by losing just one point.

If you think a refereeing decision cost you the league then you are deluded.
The team that won the league would also av had some dodgy decisions through out the season,and you will av had some favourable decisions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you think a refereeing decision cost you the league then you are deluded.
The team that won the league would also av had some dodgy decisions through out the season,and you will av had some favourable decisions.
Spot on !!!
So refs are influencing the results with those “dodgy decisions”

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Disagree. Hard to make a 100% accurate call based on a one view, two second opportunity so hard to be critical of his judgement. Definitely think it's the responsibility of the manger and the clubs to control their players and stop them diving. It'll never be a straight red card offence but once a star player gets a yellow for simulation and another for another foul which results in a ban and a crucial loss, either in that match or the one they are banned for, then perhaps it'll male a difference. The issue is both the manager/players and the officials are simply waiting for VAR and it'll simply become a tool to answer any marginal decisions to the detriment of the game
He stood on his foot right in front of him, he couldn’t have a better view.

they are like spoilt children.
Look at Saha he was fouled so decides to make his point with his hands .
Then mock the ref with sarcastic applause.
To make it worse he did it again before he left the pitch.
If the refs don’t give a foul because he dived last week ,that’s just two wrongs

I wonder if he gets a bigger ban for being a petulant child ,I dought it.
But agree with you on the VAR.

D

Deleted member 16999

You said "but that doesn’t mean their opinion is any less valid" as if that is either what I have said, or implied.

And what can you compare it against - if you dont regularly go the match, you only have one experience.

I go 99% of home games, now rarely go away games, and watch on the telly (experience both sides). I've also been to over 500 away matches in the UK and Europe, so also have experience of that.

Its weird that considering you try and stay off this thread these days - just 2 subjects bring you back - Everton and one other club.
We know all your about your football history as you’ve quite often posted it on here! It’s very commendable. You will quite often mention armchair supporters compared to those who go to games when discussing opinions.
Were’s the line on who’s opinions more valid?
I have praised your honesty and Stu’s after the games, but yet I’m the one putting words into your mouth.
As for me discussing Everton, I haven’t mentioned them today and on saturday I simply posted a fact after Stu had got confused as to who had been slashed, you brought Everton into the thread today when you answered Lord T, why single him out, did you ask the Man Utd or Spurs or Arsenal fans the same question?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
He stood on his foot right in front of him, he couldn’t have a better view.

they are like spoilt children.
Look at Saha he was fouled so decides to make his point with his hands .
Then mock the ref with sarcastic applause.
To make it worse he did it again before he left the pitch.
If the refs don’t give a foul because he dived last week ,that’s just two wrongs

I wonder if he gets a bigger ban for being a petulant child ,I dought it.
But agree with you on the VAR.

The ref should av said “sorry old boy couldn’t be certain,and with your reputation I thought I’d give the benefit of doubt to the other team”.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they had VAR when the little Argentinian beat Shlton in the air history may be different.
It’s a fantastic tool in the hands of tools.
I am undecided on it until they get their act together.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
We know all your about your football history as you’ve quite often posted it on here! It’s very commendable. You will quite often mention armchair supporters compared to those who go to games when discussing opinions.
Were’s the line on who’s opinions more valid?
I have praised your honesty and Stu’s after the games, but yet I’m the one putting words into your mouth.
As for me discussing Everton, I haven’t mentioned them today and on saturday I simply posted a fact after Stu had got confused as to who had been slashed, you brought Everton into the thread today when you answered Lord T, why single him out, did you ask the Man Utd or Spurs or Arsenal fans the same question?

Anyone seen his 🧸😂

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It seems daft to me that the pundits on last night and some on here were adamant that Mane would have outpaced Evans and Maguire, I wouldn’t think the ref would take into account how fast individual players are.

I think he made the right decision taking into account the position of the players and the direction the ball was going.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It seems daft to me that the pundits on last night and some on here were adamant that Mane would have outpaced Evans and Maguire, I wouldn’t think the ref would take into account how fast individual players are.

I think he made the right decision taking into account the position of the players and the direction the ball was going.

I'd have thought that a ref SHOULD take it into account. If its a counter attack and for some reason gary cahill finds himself in the box. Is he more likely to score than say Kane? Imo a ref should assess it fully and that includes who the players involved are.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The ref should av said “sorry old boy couldn’t be certain,and with your reputation I thought I’d give the benefit of doubt to the other team”.

We had a fantastic ref at my boys' U10 match last weekend. Probably mid to late teens and doing it to make a few quid each weekend. He got some things right and some things wrong (in my opinion) but the best bit was when the ball crossed the goal line after a challenge between two players and the ref said "I've got no idea who touched it last so I'm going to give a goal kick". Both sets of supporters applauded him.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd have thought that a ref SHOULD take it into account. If its a counter attack and for some reason gary cahill finds himself in the box. Is he more likely to score than say Kane? Imo a ref should assess it fully and that includes who the players involved are.

But the game should be about all divisions not just the high profile P/L , the refs won't know how fast players are in the lower divisions so consequently can't judge players on a individual basis and the game must be the same for all.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Just catching up on MOTD, did anyone else notice the David Luiz 2 footed jump in on Brooks before he scored Bournemouth’s second goal?

No real contact, but certainly looked to fall into the dangerous category for me.