And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
But the game should be about all divisions not just the high profile P/L , the refs won't know how fast players are in the lower divisions so consequently can't judge players on a individual basis and the game must be the same for all.

Lower divisions also don't have var. I think its a bit naive to wan't them all treated the same. The basic rules can govern the sport, but even if you go down the lower leagues. In my example, i'd expect any striker to have a higher chance of finishing a chance compared to a cb.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm saying that there are so many other influences within your control as a team, or purely football related, ie the other team. Worry about them, concentrate on them, don't fixate on the ref. Clearly the ref can influence, we can all pick a match out where that has happend, but there are so many other instances in a game that are within a teams control that the ref should not be the overiding influence.

If we were to pick a game, any team, and watch it through I'm sure we could both find instances where a player could have done something better to create or score a goal, or prevent a goal. The number of those instances would far outweight any refereeing error, massively outweigh. Those get overlooked, unless it is a howler of a miss or David Luiz style defending, but they are there still. They just don't make great punditry moments for tv to focus on them though.

I'll take you back again to a Mark Hughes point I made elsewhere. He would start every press conference with a moan about the ref, 'I don't like to complain about the ref but....' Stoke last year and Southampton this year were not at the bottom of the table because refs were ganging up on Hughes. They were there because they and he were pants. Constant blaming of the ref, not the once every 10 games moan, is an excuse, a diversion from the real issue.

Yes there are lots of things that you "think" you can control, I'm sure some sides work all week on them and they can be snatched away by one bad decision, or even worse one cowards decision by a ref, as has happened against the bigger teams over the years.

Yes over a season you generally finish were you deserve, but it still doesnt stop you moaning about decisions after a particular game.

Look at Burnley, no pen for 18 months is it, remember when your own Everton sent a video to the refs bosses when one of your forwards couldnt buy a pen.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We know all your about your football history as you’ve quite often posted it on here! It’s very commendable. You will quite often mention armchair supporters compared to those who go to games when discussing opinions.
Were’s the line on who’s opinions more valid?
I have praised your honesty and Stu’s after the games, but yet I’m the one putting words into your mouth.
As for me discussing Everton, I haven’t mentioned them today and on saturday I simply posted a fact after Stu had got confused as to who had been slashed, you brought Everton into the thread today when you answered Lord T, why single him out, did you ask the Man Utd or Spurs or Arsenal fans the same question?

There's new blood to brag to.(y)

Again, I havent said any point of view is more valid or not. (y)

I have said that non-matchgoing fans dont feel the hurt as much and I'll start by that in the main. Its easy saying get over it when it isnt your team and you dont put the same hard yards in.

I brought Everton into it with LT, as guess what he's an Evertonian!!!!!! If he would have supported someone else I would have said that team.

D

Deleted member 16999

There's new blood to brag to.(y)

Again, I havent said any point of view is more valid or not. (y)

I have said that non-matchgoing fans dont feel the hurt as much and I'll start by that in the main. Its easy saying get over it when it isnt your team and you dont put the same hard yards in.

I brought Everton into it with LT, as guess what he's an Evertonian!!!!!! If he would have supported someone else I would have said that team.
5 or 6 people were discussing the Ref though, you chose Lord T and yet my posting about you lot is raised when in fact I have not mentioned the decisions from the match last night.
You obviously have an issue with me, I have absolutely no issues with you, I’ll not reply to your posts, that way you can be guaranteed I won’t be putting words in your mouth.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
5 or 6 people were discussing the Ref though, you chose Lord T and yet my posting about you lot is raised when in fact I have not mentioned the decisions from the match last night.
You obviously have an issue with me, I have absolutely no issues with you, I’ll not reply to your posts, that way you can be guaranteed I won’t be putting words in your mouth.

Yes all were talking about the ref and the decisions from last nights game, but LT was talking about a generalisation about "just get on with it" and was what I picked up, as didnt agree with.

You dont do semantics well do you? Maybe a good reason that you always dont "get" what I say. Sound, your choice.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Yes there are lots of things that you "think" you can control, I'm sure some sides work all week on them and they can be snatched away by one bad decision, or even worse one cowards decision by a ref, as has happened against the bigger teams over the years.

Yes over a season you generally finish were you deserve, but it still doesnt stop you moaning about decisions after a particular game.

Look at Burnley, no pen for 18 months is it, remember when your own Everton sent a video to the refs bosses when one of your forwards couldnt buy a pen.

If only you knew the half of it fella!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I know mate, Ive always said that the smaller teams get a raw deal.

All this "it evens itself out over a season" is the biggest load of rubbish in football.
I agree it doesn’t even itself out over the season.
But some decisions you get,some you don’t.
Some whinge about it more than others.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Tbf this last however many pages have contained more posts from people complaining that someone (kind of) complained. Mountain and molehill

I did day I had read the last four pages and found them quite amusing, plus I didn't have three days spare to comment on said posts. It seems another couple of pages have been added to it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lower divisions also don't have var. I think its a bit naive to wan't them all treated the same. The basic rules can govern the sport, but even if you go down the lower leagues. In my example, i'd expect any striker to have a higher chance of finishing a chance compared to a cb.

My point was nothing to do with var it was about weather a ref should make a decision based on a players speed, Robbie Savage kept banging on about no one was going to catch Mane.

Referees decisions should be the same across the board and my point about the lower leagues is valid and renders Robbie Savages view irrelevant.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So Fulham activated a release clause with Bordeaux for Youssouf Sabaly and then the French club apparently went incommunicado and would make contact with Fulham despite calls and emails to the point where the deal didn't go through and despite the player passing the medical. I thought these release clauses were contractual agreements with the club and player and so will the player have a breach of contract claim with Bordeaux? Either way we can't sign him now which is a annoying. If we triggered the clause does that mean he's no longer a Bordeaux player? Where does that leave him as a player? Is he now clubless?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
My point was nothing to do with var it was about weather a ref should make a decision based on a players speed, Robbie Savage kept banging on about no one was going to catch Mane.

Referees decisions should be the same across the board and my point about the lower leagues is valid and renders Robbie Savages view irrelevant.

You wanted all players judged equally across levels, which is admirable. But there are clear distinctions as you go up the ranks. Players will be more we’ll known. You sound like fergie complaining about grey shirts and not knowing who to pass too. Players will look for the right person to pass to, and refs should know if a player will win a foot race and take that into account.

The point re VAR is that different levels have different rules.