And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 16999

Nah thatll just cause more controversey when the fans dont get the decision for them.

Who regulates it? how many questions do they get? What type of questions? Can the answer be challenged? Theres too many variables to cause even more chaos.

If a fan needs decisions explaining then he or she needs to learn the rules.

For me Sky need to remember they dont own football.
It’s got nothing to do with fans not knowing the rules, it’s understanding why the refs do or do not implement them.

BBC and BT are just as bad as Sky these days.

D

Deleted member 1740

It’s got nothing to do with fans not knowing the rules, it’s understanding why the refs do or do not implement them.

Of course it is. If you need decisions explaining then clearly you dont know the rules. Theres only a couple of outcomes on every decision, we seem to forget that decisions are made in the refs opinion. Example, Maguires foul, its either a professional foul/red card or a foul/yellow card. I know in the refs opinion he thought the latter, that's it.

Can you think of a decision that you didn't know why he'd given it?There cant be that many.

BT/BBC are as bad but SKY seem to peddle controversey that bit more.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Refs have a tough job to do as it
is. i dont expect refs to get every call right but what i do expect is fairness and consistency. They have to make a decision in a split 2nd.

Positioning is key, example i was in the Kemlyn wednesday and thought Maguire was a sending off, Liverbirdie was on the kop and thought it was a yellow, we both seen the same challenge yet both had different opinions on it. We need to accept it and move on.

I think we need to clear out the poorer refs, the media and Sky/BT/BBC need to stop questioning and over analysing every decision refs make. Its killing the game.

I dont think theres a bias from refs towards a club like there was in the 90/00's.
We were on the halfway line and I thought it was a red.
We could see the whole situation and the CBS were not catching him.
But my take on professional ( unprofessional) fouls hasn’t changed if you hack someone down nowhere near the ball it should be red.
Nothing to do where the ball goes ,covering etc.
Maguire had a great game mom and knew what he was doing.

I just don’t get a shirt pull in the box nothing 5 seconds later a shirt pull outside the box is a foul when the ref has seen both.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Back in the day when I first started playing hockey the umpires would join both teams in the bar after a game. The first 10 minutes or so were spent deconstructing decisions. They would explain why decisions were given, we would point out times where we thought the decision was wrong. The umpires would hold their hands up and smile if they accepted a wrong decision was made although most were right and we as players learnt more. The mantra was, we give decisions honestly, we try to get them right but we wont get them all right. It was beneficial to all parties and was a great experience for me starting out as way of understanding officials. The best officials work with the players, the worst work against them.

My point here is that it would benefit all, if like rugby for example, we understood why a decision has been made. We might not agree with it but if we knew the reasoning then fans would accept it more. Education during the game.........(I know what people would say, you can't mike up the refs, too much bad language etc but I think the benefit would outweight this and the language would soon change)

D

Deleted member 1740

Back in the day when I first started playing hockey the umpires would join both teams in the bar after a game. The first 10 minutes or so were spent deconstructing decisions. They would explain why decisions were given, we would point out times where we thought the decision was wrong. The umpires would hold their hands up and smile if they accepted a wrong decision was made although most were right and we as players learnt more. The mantra was, we give decisions honestly, we try to get them right but we wont get them all right. It was beneficial to all parties and was a great experience for me starting out as way of understanding officials. The best officials work with the players, the worst work against them.

My point here is that it would benefit all, if like rugby for example, we understood why a decision has been made. We might not agree with it but if we knew the reasoning then fans would accept it more. Education during the game.........(I know what people would say, you can't mike up the refs, too much bad language etc but I think the benefit would outweight this and the language would soon change)

Education during the game?? If you need educating during a game then i suggest you learn the rules and watch more football to understand how the game works.

NOT you personally👍

D

Deleted member 16999

Education during the game?? If you need educating during a game then i suggest you learn the rules and watch more football to understand how the game works.

NOT you personally👍
Either you’re missing the point or I’m/we are not explaining ourselves properly, ie. Jags sent off in the 1st game of the season against Wolves, obviously the Ref believed he was correct, then we get the Ref explained at half time it was red because it was last man denying clear goal scoring opportunity, after the game it was because it was a dangerous tackle and not last man, same Ref has made different decisions since in same scenario, yes we understand the rules, but only if we get consistencey, why couldn’t the Ref give his explanation, what harm would it do?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

NOT you personally👍
Scary how many ex pro's working as pundits don't know the rules :eek:. You hear them often on the radio or tv getting something wrong with the occasional correction later on when the producer obviously whispers in their ear.

I am thinking more about explaining interpretations, many rules are not black and white as we know, it is how a ref interprets it at that moment. I saw Dermot Gallacher talking through some similar studs up tackles recently. He explained why some were red, some were yellow, which the refs got right etc. They were definitely interpretations.

I think it works brilliantly in rugby, even when you don't agree with the end decision at least you know exactly why the decision has been made. I like that.

Appreciate the last sentence :LOL:(y)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Refs have a tough job to do as it
is. i dont expect refs to get every call right but what i do expect is fairness and consistency. They have to make a decision in a split 2nd.

Positioning is key, example i was in the Kemlyn wednesday and thought Maguire was a sending off, Liverbirdie was on the kop and thought it was a yellow, we both seen the same challenge yet both had different opinions on it. We need to accept it and move on.

I think we need to clear out the poorer refs, the media and Sky/BT/BBC need to stop questioning and over analysing every decision refs make. Its killing the game.

I dont think theres a bias from refs towards a club like there was in the 90/00's.

You playing the "I go the match card". :ROFLMAO:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
We were on the halfway line and I thought it was a red.
We could see the whole situation and the CBS were not catching him.
But my take on professional ( unprofessional) fouls hasn’t changed if you hack someone down nowhere near the ball it should be red.
Nothing to do where the ball goes ,covering etc.
Maguire had a great game mom and knew what he was doing.

I just don’t get a shirt pull in the box nothing 5 seconds later a shirt pull outside the box is a foul when the ref has seen both.
Did you see Maguire turn his back on the Mane goal like a big girls blouse.
Professional footballers who do this are bloody wimps.

My son got a volley full in his face last week,rubbed his cheek and carried on.

For that I would take the MoM off him

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you guys think Premier League refs are bad, you should come and have a game in my Sunday League. Christ on a bike. They literally take anyone who's willing to do it I think. One time we had a player score the rebound of his own penalty after it was saved and the ref disallowed it because he thought rebounds weren't allowed. :ROFLMAO:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you see Maguire turn his back on the Mane goal like a big girls blouse.
Professional footballers who do this are bloody wimps.

My son got a volley full in his face last week,rubbed his cheek and carried on.

For that I would take the MoM off him

Yes agree with you but I also seen Koshelny for Arsenal last week take one in the Crown Jewels .
Made my eyes water with the memories ha.
I have had this over the years and can understand the reflex reaction.
Don’t get me wrong if it was one of my team I would not be happy.
But taking mom of him for protecting his future dynasty seems harsh.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would agree it’s very unsportsmanlike.

Seem to remember couple of weeks ago someone never cut the grass on the pitch because they were playing Liverpool so it would stop the ball rolling and curtail our passing game. (Can’t remember who)

The reason given was it’s perfectly ok for any team to set the pitch as they see fit.

Don’t think it worked Wednesday as it made it easier for the defence as well as they could predict the roll of the ball just as much as the attackers.
As proved as they defended very well!
The worst thing for a defender is the ball sticking in the water/snow.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you guys think Premier League refs are bad, you should come and have a game in my Sunday League. Christ on a bike. They literally take anyone who's willing to do it I think. One time we had a player score the rebound of his own penalty after it was saved and the ref disallowed it because he thought rebounds weren't allowed. :ROFLMAO:
The abuse they get I am surprised you can get one.
I have done it in the past but not now I would end up decking one of the little p....!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have any problem with Liverpool clearing the snow at one end. It's their home game, that's all part of home advantage. Same as our ball-boy who held on to the ball for a few seconds and Isaac Success earned a booking for slapping it out of his hands. It's just a bit of gamesmanship, nothing wrong with it.

I did think at the time though, the way Alisson was farting around with the ball in the first half, they'd have been well advised to clear his box as well!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't have any problem with Liverpool clearing the snow at one end. It's their home game, that's all part of home advantage. Same as our ball-boy who held on to the ball for a few seconds and Isaac Success earned a booking for slapping it out of his hands. It's just a bit of gamesmanship, nothing wrong with it.

I did think at the time though, the way Alisson was farting around with the ball in the first half, they'd have been well advised to clear his box as well!
Yes I remember Jimmy Hill on motd blaming the ball boy for giving the ball back to Liverpool in the last min and we scored.
The poor lad got some stick in school the next day.