And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 18121

Interesting chat on the ref performance, I can see it from all sides and some good points made.

The part that frustrates me the most is the free kicks that are given in the middle of the park, where if it was in the penalty box then nothing would be given. The ref blows his whistle for the slightest misdemeanor and you can see him mouth to the players "it was easy".

If it was that easy you'd also be giving penalties for this stuff.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You wanted all players judged equally across levels, which is admirable. But there are clear distinctions as you go up the ranks. Players will be more we’ll known. You sound like fergie complaining about grey shirts and not knowing who to pass too. Players will look for the right person to pass to, and refs should know if a player will win a foot race and take that into account.

The point re VAR is that different levels have different rules.

I repeat my point had nothing to do with var so I see no point in discussing it.

Your point about a ref should know if a certain player should win a foot race can only happen if the ref knows the players in question.

What about World Cups and internationals there must be the same set of rules across the board and not a separate set for the P/L all stars 👍

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I repeat my point had nothing to do with var so I see no point in discussing it.

Your point about a ref should know if a certain player should win a foot race can only happen if the ref knows the players in question.

What about World Cups and internationals there must be the same set of rules across the board and not a separate set for the P/L all stars 👍

I would expect any referee to have an understanding of the players they are refereeing at the top level. The lower levels will be different I’m sure. But we aren’t and I doubt very few are debating the mistakes made by a ref at Dover V Maidstone here.

Think if it this way, if the player though on goal was lovren, would maguire have made the same tackle? I doubt it, a referee has to take all the variables into account imo. It was a tactical foul, the player made a choice based on who he was facing. The ref should make the same. Whether it’s pace, or lively hood to finish a chance. The ref should account for it. The same as I’m sure happens with penalties, of a payer has a reputation a ref will think twice, or depending on if a midfielder hacks an opponent down and intent needs to be decided upon.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Batshuayi going to Palace on loan, after Chelsea tried 15 clubs they finally found one lol
I'd of had him at Saints.
I think that is a decent loan signing. They don't have a striker at the moment who can hit a barn door so anyone else is worth a go. He is athletic, has pace and needs a run of games. His record at Dortmund was okay for example. If he doesn't score then they are no worse off than with Benteke up front and they hand him back in May. If he comes off then they stay in the PL with room to spare.

I'd have had him at Everton on loan until the end of the season as well.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting chat on the ref performance, I can see it from all sides and some good points made.

The part that frustrates me the most is the free kicks that are given in the middle of the park, where if it was in the penalty box then nothing would be given. The ref blows his whistle for the slightest misdemeanor and you can see him mouth to the players "it was easy".

If it was that easy you'd also be giving penalties for this stuff.
Yes agree look at shirt pulling , outside the box it’s quite rare and always given.
But in the box you can take his shirt off his back and nothing.

Nothing worse than your man booked for a foul but moments later identical foul but in the box and nothing.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes agree look at shirt pulling , outside the box it’s quite rare and always given.
But in the box you can take his shirt off his back and nothing.

Nothing worse than your man booked for a foul but moments later identical foul but in the box and nothing.
Is that because “we” look for fouls on our players and ignore them on the opposition?
How many times have you seen a player get fouled in the box and the replay shows 3 or 4 fouls happening at the same time?
Sometimes much easier to watch a game were you have no vested interest to see how much pushing and shoving goes on and how dificult it is for a Referee to get everything right.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that is a decent loan signing. They don't have a striker at the moment who can hit a barn door so anyone else is worth a go. He is athletic, has pace and needs a run of games. His record at Dortmund was okay for example. If he doesn't score then they are no worse off than with Benteke up front and they hand him back in May. If he comes off then they stay in the PL with room to spare.

I'd have had him at Everton on loan until the end of the season as well.

Pretty much my thinking as well. Scoring in the PL is difficult but with Zaha, Townsend to support him I'd hope that he could get say 8 goals for us which is more than Benteke ever will

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that because “we” look for fouls on our players and ignore them on the opposition?
How many times have you seen a player get fouled in the box and the replay shows 3 or 4 fouls happening at the same time?
Sometimes much easier to watch a game were you have no vested interest to see how much pushing and shoving goes on and how dificult it is for a Referee to get everything right.
Wasn’t just talking about my club but all football.
You are right as a neutral you do see more, that just shows how much refs miss. Or ignore!
The correct answer is to punish the first offence he sees,but that never happens and a free for all in the box is the norm now we just expect it.

I have been watching a few Championship games recently and the refs are stricter there.
The players do get away with a lot in the prem imo.

D

Deleted member 16999

Wasn’t just talking about my club but all football.
You are right as a neutral you do see more, that just shows how much refs miss. Or ignore!
The correct answer is to punish the first offence he sees,but that never happens and a free for all in the box is the norm now we just expect it.

I have been watching a few Championship games recently and the refs are stricter there.
The players do get away with a lot in the prem imo.
Not talking about any specific team, that’s why I said “we” I’m certainly wearing blue specs 90-99% of the time when watching Everton and I’d imagine every fan is the same.
One observation on the point about punishing the first offence, that offence could be trivial and then the ref’s are blamed for stopping the game from flowing or being too hard.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not talking about any specific team, that’s why I said “we” I’m certainly wearing blue specs 90-99% of the time when watching Everton and I’d imagine every fan is the same.
One observation on the point about punishing the first offence, that offence could be trivial and then the ref’s are blamed for stopping the game from flowing or being too hard.
Wouldn’t expect anything else. I know lots of blues, half the family.

My point is we see fouls in the box not given ,defender clears the ball and an identical foul outside is given five seconds after the first was ignored.
This is what the fans ( well me anyway ) can’t understand!
It makes it look like they don’t know what they are doing. It’s very strange that two identical fouls result in only one free kick.

D

Deleted member 16999

Wouldn’t expect anything else. I know lots of blues, half the family.

My point is we see fouls in the box not given ,defender clears the ball and an identical foul outside is given five seconds after the first was ignored.
This is what the fans ( well me anyway ) can’t understand!
It makes it look like they don’t know what they are doing. It’s very strange that two identical fouls result in only one free kick.
But different angles, Ref’s position, he’s expected to have eyes in the back of his head.
We’ve certainly got some better than others and a few you dread being put in charge of our teams, but they’re human and will make mistakes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But different angles, Ref’s position, he’s expected to have eyes in the back of his head.
We’ve certainly got some better than others and a few you dread being put in charge of our teams, but they’re human and will make mistakes.
Are they mistakes though that’s my point !
They choose which ones not to give that’s not a mistake.
Two identical fouls ,sees both but only gives one that’s a choice.
But to be fair the players don’t make it any easier with all the playacting.

D

Deleted member 16999

In your (our) opinion it’s a mistake, not in theirs!
Personally believe the media should be allowed to interview them and ask questions, make Refs more accountable.

D

Deleted member 1740

Refs have a tough job to do as it
is. i dont expect refs to get every call right but what i do expect is fairness and consistency. They have to make a decision in a split 2nd.

Positioning is key, example i was in the Kemlyn wednesday and thought Maguire was a sending off, Liverbirdie was on the kop and thought it was a yellow, we both seen the same challenge yet both had different opinions on it. We need to accept it and move on.

I think we need to clear out the poorer refs, the media and Sky/BT/BBC need to stop questioning and over analysing every decision refs make. Its killing the game.

I dont think theres a bias from refs towards a club like there was in the 90/00's.

D

Deleted member 1740

In your (our) opinion it’s a mistake, not in theirs!
Personally believe the media should be allowed to interview them and ask questions, make Refs more accountable.

Why?

If the media was totally impartial i'd agree

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would expect any referee to have an understanding of the players they are refereeing at the top level. The lower levels will be different I’m sure. But we aren’t and I doubt very few are debating the mistakes made by a ref at Dover V Maidstone here.

Think if it this way, if the player though on goal was lovren, would maguire have made the same tackle? I doubt it, a referee has to take all the variables into account imo. It was a tactical foul, the player made a choice based on who he was facing. The ref should make the same. Whether it’s pace, or lively hood to finish a chance. The ref should account for it. The same as I’m sure happens with penalties, of a payer has a reputation a ref will think twice, or depending on if a midfielder hacks an opponent down and intent needs to be decided upon.

But you can't have one set of rules for the top level and another for the lower leagues.

Anyway we will have to agree to disagree.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why?

If the media was totally impartial i'd agree
Maybe to do no more than explain a decision, at least try and help the fans understand and maybe stop some of the controversey.
I don’t mean the media get to grill them or argue, just ask.

D

Deleted member 1740

Maybe to do no more than explain a decision, at least try and help the fans understand and maybe stop some of the controversey.
I don’t mean the media get to grill them or argue, just ask.

Nah thatll just cause more controversey when the fans dont get the decision for them.

Who regulates it? how many questions do they get? What type of questions? Can the answer be challenged? Theres too many variables to cause even more chaos.

If a fan needs decisions explaining then he or she needs to learn the rules.

For me Sky need to remember they dont own football.