And, we’re off.......2018/2019

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't have any problem with Liverpool clearing the snow at one end. It's their home game, that's all part of home advantage. Same as our ball-boy who held on to the ball for a few seconds and Isaac Success earned a booking for slapping it out of his hands. It's just a bit of gamesmanship, nothing wrong with it.

I did think at the time though, the way Alisson was farting around with the ball in the first half, they'd have been well advised to clear his box as well!

If I was Isaac Success the little @@@@ would have been in row z and certainly not winking again.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I remember Jimmy Hill on motd blaming the ball boy for giving the ball back to Liverpool in the last min and we scored.
The poor lad got some stick in school the next day.
I remember that. That was naughty of him because it put pressure on the poor lad who had done nothing wrong, he was just doing what he was supposed to. Hill highlighted it as a sign of good sportsmanship but I remember watching it at home thinking the poor lad will get slaughtered by his mates, the school bullies and any other idiots near to him. Can you imagine the social media vitriol nowadays if that happened?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I was Isaac Success the little @@@@ would have been in row z and certainly not winking again.
Aaand you would have been red carded.

Not to open a can of worms but I actually don't believe Success should have got a yellow for that. Ball boy is playing silly beggars and wasting time - fair enough. Slapping the ball out of his hand is a justified response. Punching him or something would be going too far obviously, but slapping the ball is fair game. I remember when Hazard got carded (was it a red?) a few years ago for 'kicking' a ball boy at Swansea, but the lad was actually lying on top of the ball, which is absolutely ridiculous behaviour, and Hazard was trying to kick it out from under him, which again I thought was fair enough. If the ball boy is dicking around he's got to expect something like that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

Either you’re missing the point or I’m/we are not explaining ourselves properly, ie. Jags sent off in the 1st game of the season against Wolves, obviously the Ref believed he was correct, then we get the Ref explained at half time it was red because it was last man denying clear goal scoring opportunity, after the game it was because it was a dangerous tackle and not last man, same Ref has made different decisions since in same scenario, yes we understand the rules, but only if we get consistencey, why couldn’t the Ref give his explanation, what harm would it do?

Does the exact reason, like that you've just exampled, really matter?? it was the right decision.

What harm would it do? it would cause further questioning and debating amongst other things. Like i said if the media were completely impartial i'd think differently.

D

Deleted member 1740

Scary how many ex pro's working as pundits don't know the rules :eek:. You hear them often on the radio or tv getting something wrong with the occasional correction later on when the producer obviously whispers in their ear.

I am thinking more about explaining interpretations, many rules are not black and white as we know, it is how a ref interprets it at that moment. I saw Dermot Gallacher talking through some similar studs up tackles recently. He explained why some were red, some were yellow, which the refs got right etc. They were definitely interpretations.

I think it works brilliantly in rugby, even when you don't agree with the end decision at least you know exactly why the decision has been made. I like that.

Appreciate the last sentence :LOL:(y)

Did you see the newcastlev City game the other night?? Co-commentator ex pro moaning why the Aguero goal was disallowed and KDB booked 🤔

Explaing and interperating rules could be done as a seprate weekly show by an ex pro ref, not a current ref imo.

D

Deleted member 16999

Does the exact reason, like that you've just exampled, really matter?? it was the right decision.

What harm would it do? it would cause further questioning and debating amongst other things. Like i said if the media were completely impartial i'd think differently.
It’s only the right decision if it’s consistent, people have more issue with inconsistencey than anything else.
Changing the reasons for a sending off just comes across as them getting it wrong and then making it up to try and avoid looking silly.
If the ref from the other night simply come out and said from his angle Mane wasn’t clear through on goal or whatever, as least the decision can be respected, regardless if we agree or not.

D

Deleted member 1740

It’s only the right decision if it’s consistent, people have more issue with inconsistencey than anything else.
Changing the reasons for a sending off just comes across as them getting it wrong and then making it up to try and avoid looking silly.
If the ref from the other night simply come out and said from his angle Mane wasn’t clear through on goal or whatever, as least the decision can be respected, regardless if we agree or not.

If theres 2 reasons to send a player off does it really really matter which one he uses?

The decision is being respected. i dont agree with it but its been given and thats the end of it. Just because i dont agree with it doesnt mean im being disrespectful.

D

Deleted member 16999

If theres 2 reasons to send a player off does it really really matter which one he uses?

The decision is being respected. i dont agree with it but its been given and thats the end of it. Just because i dont agree with it doesnt mean im being disrespectful.
No one is saying you or anyone else on here is being disrespectful, but like you say we need to sort the media out and if people knew why a decision was made or could ask why, it would go a long way in stopping all the media and fan frenzy we get after some of these decisions. Then we might get the Refs becoming a bit more consistent.

D

Deleted member 1740

No one is saying you or anyone else on here is being disrespectful, but like you say we need to sort the media out and if people knew why a decision was made or could ask why, it would go a long way in stopping all the media and fan frenzy we get after some of these decisions. Then we might get the Refs becoming a bit more consistent.

i was responding to the " at least the decision can be respected ".

Imagine the media, klopp said" x y z" or atkinson says "a b c" Peps not happy with John moss blah blah blah, it'd cause major issues.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Aaand you would have been red carded.

Not to open a can of worms but I actually don't believe Success should have got a yellow for that. Ball boy is playing silly beggars and wasting time - fair enough. Slapping the ball out of his hand is a justified response. Punching him or something would be going too far obviously, but slapping the ball is fair game. I remember when Hazard got carded (was it a red?) a few years ago for 'kicking' a ball boy at Swansea, but the lad was actually lying on top of the ball, which is absolutely ridiculous behaviour, and Hazard was trying to kick it out from under him, which again I thought was fair enough. If the ball boy is dicking around he's got to expect something like that.
That 'boy' was far from a boy age wise, and had said earlier that he would do this. As much as I dislike Chelsea, they should have been allowed to kick the proverbial out of him. Twice.

D

Deleted member 16999

Imagine the media, klopp said" x y z" or atkinson says "a b c" Peps not happy with John moss blah blah blah, it'd cause major issues.
No worries mate, not saying it would be easy or even possible, just think there’s a veil of secrecy around referees that should be looked at.(y)

D

Deleted member 1740

No worries mate, not saying it would be easy or even possible, just think there’s a veil of secrecy around referees that should be looked at.(y)

IMO football in general needs to stop using/blaming/attacking refs, including managers, players, fans,media and explayers.

That said the standard needs to improve

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I agree with "he who can no longer quote me":p:p:p:p:p, I think that the refs should have to answer for their actions and may make them not bottle it as much.

Yes, we do know the rules in the main, but its not for them to explain the rules but more to explain some of their decisions and how they come up with them. I agree it could result in a media circus, but at present for the fantastic amounts the refs are paid, for them to be above explanation is wrong IMO.