And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 1740

I agree with "he who can no longer quote me":p:p:p:p:p, I think that the refs should have to answer for their actions and may make them not bottle it as much.

Yes, we do know the rules in the main, but its not for them to explain the rules but more to explain some of their decisions and how they come up with them. I agree it could result in a media circus, but at present for the fantastic amounts the refs are paid, for them to be above explanation is wrong IMO.

No other sport in the world has refs that explain their decisions, why football? how will that improve the game? Refs speak to the managers after games, that should be the end.

Eg; Atkinson comes out and says " i never gave a pen to Kieta because i thought he'd over ran the ball then fell after slight contact with Ndidi", what does that it matter after the game? its gone, get over it.

I'd like to get back to the days of not knowing the refs name!!
The quality of refs needs to better though.

That ignore list must be nearly full now😀

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No other sport in the world has refs that explain their decisions, why football? how will that improve the game? Refs speak to the managers after games, that should be the end.

Eg; Atkinson comes out and says " i never gave a pen to Kieta because i thought he'd over ran the ball then fell after slight contact with Ndidi", what does that it matter after the game? its gone, get over it.

American Football ref explains what the penalty is for to the stadium from centre of pitch.

D

Deleted member 1740

American Football ref explains what the penalty is for to the stadium from centre of pitch.

Thats not a proper sport though is it, fellas in tight lycra kecks squatting infont of one another is more like that weird kinky sex game Liverbirdie plays 😏😉

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I just want my pound of flesh. ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

Rugby are mic’d up, you hear them discuss and justify decisions during the game.

Whether it’s the media or fans or the FA’s fault, but it certainly seems the standard of top class referees is in decline.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rugby are mic’d up, you hear them discuss and justify decisions during the game.

Whether it’s the media or fans or the FA’s fault, but it certainly seems the standard of top class referees is in decline.
Is it in decline or are they just analysed more? Has there been a golden age of refereeing? Can't help but thinking the speed of the game now and the 20 different cameras at each game is making it harder than ever and exposing errors that no one would have picked up on before.

Incidentally I'm not claiming they are the best group ever but I don't think they are the worst either. I think Michael Oliver is right up there alongside other past top refs and the others are comparable with past groups.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Is it in decline or are they just analysed more? Has there been a golden age of refereeing? Can't help but thinking the speed of the game now and the 20 different cameras at each game is making it harder than ever and exposing errors that no one would have picked up on before.
Then you could argue the FA/FIFA/UEFA have failed to protect them then or introduce measures to help them, look at the useless extra officials behind the goal line in Europe or the farce over VAR and when it should or should not be used or in which matches.
Only my opinion, but it seems it’s the same Referees are involved in controversey most of the time.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes but when yo go the game, believe me your sense of injustice from a bad ref decision is magnified a lot more, than just sat in front of the telly, and I include me in this for when I watch the away games on the telly these days.

30 minutes later , your onto "whats for tea, missus", whereby when your at the match the whole journey home (whether 30 minutes or 5 hours gives you time to stew on it, and it affects your weekend a lot more. Especially when trophies, relegation, champions league places are up for grabs. Yes, Liverpool fans are a bit more desperate at the moment - wouldnt you be if you were in a genuine title race after 30 years of being used to it very season.

Not a dig on non-matchgoing fans, but believe me, you have it a lot easier.

Only just catching up on the thread, had to reply to this.

If we lose to West Ham on Monday and City have closed the gap to 2 points. Will it be easier on you cos you didn’t go the game?

Will you be asking your mrs ‘what’s for supper’? And getting on with life, or will be be gutted like the match goers till the next game?

D

Deleted member 16999

Only just catching up on the thread, had to reply to this.

If we lose to West Ham on Monday and City have closed the gap to 2 points. Will it be easier on you cos you didn’t go the game?

Will you be asking your mrs ‘what’s for supper’? And getting on with life, or will be be gutted like the match goers till the next game?
And if that happens, City play next wednesday and you could be 1 point behind them or if they loose today and you beat West Ham and they loose midweek you could be 8 points ahead or if you both draw etc etc......... effects everyone the same regardless if you’re a match goer or not, what if you’re a season ticket holder and you can’t go the next game because your ill or on holiday, will supper fix it for you as well. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now a serious question for you Dave, forget Everton and Liverpool, upto to moving to Scotland then Spain, Hobbit was a season ticket holder at the Boro for years and years, are you saying he now cares less or gets affected differently because he doesn’t go the games?

Edit: I 100% agree there is nothing better than being at a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
And if that happens, City play next wednesday and you could be 1 point behind them or if they loose today and you beat West Ham and they loose midweek you could be 8 points ahead or if you both draw etc etc......... effects everyone the same regardless if you’re a match goer or not, what if you’re a season ticket holder and you can’t go the next game because your ill or on holiday, will supper fix it for you as well. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now a serious question for you Dave, forget Everton and Liverpool, upto to moving to Scotland then Spain, Hobbit was a season ticket holder at the Boro for years and years, are you saying he now cares less or gets affected differently because he doesn’t go the games?

Edit: I 100% agree there is nothing better than being at a game.

I was a season ticket holder at saints from aged 6-24. For the next 5 years I'd go to approx 10 games a season. Now it's only 2/3 a season. I can categorically say that I get less stressed about football.

It used to ruin my whole weekend. Now it's maybe the afternoon. That could be a change of priorities tbf. I remember when we got promoted and went ahead 2 weeks in a row against city and Utd only to lose to late winners. Both times I was at work and was gutted, but as soon as I got home my daughter came and cuddled me and I kinda forgot about it.

If I was still a season ticket holder, I'd have been at the pub and falling deeper into the pit imo. Wouldnt have seen her until the morning. I think that we can all care as much or little whether we are macth goers or not BUT if you are at the game then it will generally take you a little longer to get over it.

D

Deleted member 16999

I was a season ticket holder at saints from aged 6-24. For the next 5 years I'd go to approx 10 games a season. Now it's only 2/3 a season. I can categorically say that I get less stressed about football.

It used to ruin my whole weekend. Now it's maybe the afternoon. That could be a change of priorities tbf. I remember when we got promoted and went ahead 2 weeks in a row against city and Utd only to lose to late winners. Both times I was at work and was gutted, but as soon as I got home my daughter came and cuddled me and I kinda forgot about it.

If I was still a season ticket holder, I'd have been at the pub and falling deeper into the pit imo. Wouldnt have seen her until the morning. I think that we can all care as much or little whether we are macth goers or not BUT if you are at the game then it will generally take you a little longer to get over it.
You’ve missed the point, I’ve agreed on numerous occassions the match goer has more invested in the match, whether that be financial or emotional, but, imo, it doesn’t mean their opinion is any more valid than an armchair supporter.
Does a Saints fan with their first season ticket have the right to an opinion more than you?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You’ve missed the point, I’ve agreed on numerous occassions the match goer has more invested in the match, whether that be financial or emotional, but, imo, it doesn’t mean their opinion is any more valid than an armchair supporter.
Does a Saints fan with their first season ticket have the right to an opinion more than you?

The comment that I responded to, you made no mention of opinions. You said, and I quote ”Hobbit was a season ticket holder at the Boro for years and years, are you saying he now cares less or gets affected differently because he doesn’t go the games?”

So in answer to the question in regards opinions, I believe a match goer or tv viewer is entitled to their opinion and either should be respected. But I would expect a slightly more passionate and sometimes less reasonable one from someone sat in the pub after the game than someone who goes to a match once in a blue moon, or never at all.

I can’t speak for hobbit, but as I said about me, as I moved away from match going. The impact of the game on my life certianly lessened.

D

Deleted member 16999

The comment that I responded to, you made no mention of opinions. You said, and I quote ”Hobbit was a season ticket holder at the Boro for years and years, are you saying he now cares less or gets affected differently because he doesn’t go the games?”

So in answer to the question in regards opinions, I believe a match goer or tv viewer is entitled to their opinion and either should be respected. But I would expect a slightly more passionate and sometimes less reasonable one from someone sat in the pub after the game than someone who goes to a match once in a blue moon, or never at all.

I can’t speak for hobbit, but as I said about me, as I moved away from match going. The impact of the game on my life certianly lessened.
I’m not getting in to this again, Dave’s post was in response to the discussion I had with LB and is confusing if took in isolation, to say one fans opinion is more valid than an other is wrong imo and it’s just as wrong to say the effect a match can have on somebody can be sorted by one being asked what’s for supper.

Given a choice between someone like yourself and your opinion on football from your armchair and a match goer that constantly films themselves on ipad and iphones, I know which one I’d rather listen to.