And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 15344

It is time for the chant to stop - even if it’s not meant in a derogatory way it’s causing issues and I think the FA will act soon enough and then Spurs won’t have the choice but to stop and if they don’t then it will be sanctions.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Some real idiots in this thread. Spurs fans sing Yid Army in solidarity with the huge Jewish following we have. Basically taking ownership of the word, to disarm those who would use it in a derogatory way. I thought most people knew this but apparently not.

I know you think you know what your talking about but please read the article I posted from an actual Jewish season ticket holder and then ask the question who the idiots are.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having seen "Yid Army" used more as a rallying cry by hooligans than a supportive chant from fans back in the day, there is clearly a lot of history attached to it. In my opinion though it is a term that has had its day in football BUT, until Spurs take the first steps by calling it out as no longer acceptable and dealing with those that chant it, the PL and FA will sit on their hands and do nothing. Therein lies the issue as I don't see the club, and this relates to ALL clubs that still have racist/offensive chants, having the guts to do anything and will use the Jewish history as a catch all excuse.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know you think you know what your talking about but please read the article I posted from an actual Jewish season ticket holder and then ask the question who the idiots are.
You mean the David Baddiel one? If you think the words of David Baddiel are going to change my opinion, you are sorely mistaken. :LOL:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You mean the David Baddiel one? If you think the words of David Baddiel are going to change my opinion, you are sorely mistaken. :LOL:

Ok then, so that you dont have an easy cop-out, do you think that Spurs have a Jewish match-going fan base of more than 50%?

If not, and you think that 50% or more are Christian - do you think thats its okay for a majority Christian club to "reclaim" a jewish derogatory term?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok then, so that you dont have an easy cop-out, do you think that Spurs have a Jewish match-going fan base of more than 50%?

If not, and you think that 50% or more are Christian - do you think thats its okay for a majority Christian club to "reclaim" a jewish derogatory term?
Yes, as I said in my first post on the subject, it shows solidarity with our Jewish fanbase.

I don't want to talk about this forever though, obviously I wouldn't shed a tear if we stopped singing it of our own accord. I just don't think fans of other clubs bombarding it and calling it racist chanting is going to help that's all.

D

Deleted member 1418

Seems to me that there's only one way to find out - the tannoy announcer at the next Spurs home game asks all the Spurs fans to stand up who are Jewish; and all those who aren't to remain seated!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are endless examples of people taking ownership of words. What about 'queer'? It used to mean strange and unusual, then people started using it as a derogatory word against homosexuals, now many homosexuals describe themselves as queer. Consequently I rarely hear people use that as an insult now, because they don't find it insulting anymore so what's the point?

If I heard someone say "there were a load of yids on the train down here", I would assume they meant Spurs fans, before thinking they were insulting a group of Jewish people. That's how far it's gone the other way. For you to ban the word, all you're doing is bringing it back to the offensive meaning.

I would assume they'd meant Jews ................................. and not in a good way, otherwise they would have referred to them as Jews!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It should be remembered Spurs fans adopted the yid songs years ago as a response to other clubs fans trying to use this term as racist abuse.

It was turned on it’s head and Spurs fans used the terminology to unite our fans and has never been sung to insult anyone.

I fail to see it as racist when it’s sung as a term of endearment by a club with a history of a large Jewish following.

D

Deleted member 1740

Totally.
Do you not think their season is over?

Yeah 😂😂

Seriously i still think with a bit of luck re the draw any english team could win the CL.

Theres still 2 places up for grabs for the CL spots so although domestically theres no chance of silverware, a top4 finish and a 1/4 or semi final CL run would be pretty successful imo.

Unfortunately owners/shareholders would rather a good CL campaign than winning a fa cup financially.

Fans want silverware but owners want money.