And, we’re off.......2018/2019

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So when clubs like Arsenal and Yernited who miss out on CL football, how come they still attract top players?

I agree players dont wanna just win FA Cups.

Because they can afford to pay the wages and normally have a chance to challenge for top 4 the following season.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So when clubs like Arsenal and Yernited who miss out on CL football, how come they still attract top players?

Do you think in those circumstances the clubs end up paying higher wages, bigger commisions to agents etc in order to convince them to come or would those numbers be the same? I tend to think they have to pay a little more to attract players but as we know if you offer enough players will go anywhere.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't think Arsenal do, do they?? For Man Utd they just have that reputation of being one of the world's biggest, and they still offer astronomical wages to match.

D

Deleted member 1740

I don't think Arsenal do, do they?? For Man Utd they just have that reputation of being one of the world's biggest, and they still offer astronomical wages to match.

Aubameyang?? Lacazette??

D

Deleted member 15344

D0751CC1-AF28-4A42-9C9B-1FBFA479A828.jpeg

Clubs like Arsenal and Utd are expected to be back in the CL and if they don’t then players will leave as quickly as they arrive - Lacazette and Aubemeyang took a step up to the Prem , if Arsenal don’t get CL then they may well look to move on.

Yes the Prem exposure is world wide but the CL is a step up now in terms of finance and worldwide appeal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aubameyang?? Lacazette??
They got a bit lucky with Auba in a sense, I recall he was desperate to leave Dortmund last January after a falling out, and they threw a load of cash his way. Lacazette I don't really consider a top player. He languished at Lyon for years before anyone took a punt, and he is behind Giroud in the pecking order for France. Besides which, the calibre of players they attracted back when they were regularly in the top four and competing for the league was greater I think.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the CL thing is a red herring now. Theres probably only 6/8 teams that are capable of winning CL.

Players dont need CL for exposure. PL football is widely marketed around the world now as arguably the best league in europe.

When clubs are making €90m for reaching the CL final theres no wonder The FA Cup has regressed in imporrance to win by owners and managers.

In some ways, but look at the last 10 winners of the FA and league cup - mainly top 6 clubs.

What I dont get is current 7-12th placed mid table teams not going for the FA cup, especially if they've already come through 2 rounds. 4 more games and you win it.

When was Palace, Everton, Watford and West Ham's last trophy, and indeed our last trophy?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I totally agree, love the old stadiums. I'm just bitter I got nowhere near getting a ticket.

You may get a bigger allocation with it being the FA cup - with the size of Bournemouth's stadium, that may be an extra bench. ;)

You also find that lots of season ticket home fans dont necessarily buy cup games, as can afford a SST when in the prem, but cant find dosh for one off games, so may always be the home end.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You may get a bigger allocation with it being the FA cup - with the size of Bournemouth's stadium, that may be an extra bench. ;)

You also find that lots of season ticket home fans dont necessarily buy cup games, as can afford a SST when in the prem, but cant find dosh for one off games, so may always be the home end.

It's a league match mate. We've got Bristol City if we beat Shrewsbury on the replay.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Big game tonight at Craven Cottage. Should be winnable against a Brighton side that don't always travel well and lose it and we're toast. I am not convinced Ranieri has been the answer and our defence looks as accident prone as ever so fear we're give Brighton a degree of assistance. I'd actually love us to play dour (think Mourinho's United in his last few weeks) and simply win an ugly game 1-0. Can't see us doing that and can't see a clean sheet

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Big game tonight at Craven Cottage. Should be winnable against a Brighton side that don't always travel well and lose it and we're toast. I am not convinced Ranieri has been the answer and our defence looks as accident prone as ever so fear we're give Brighton a degree of assistance. I'd actually love us to play dour (think Mourinho's United in his last few weeks) and simply win an ugly game 1-0. Can't see us doing that and can't see a clean sheet
Was a weird appointment in the first place. Ranieri is not know for coming in and sorting out a defence. You desperately needed defensive reinforcements, but with two days left you have none. You'd have thought a centre back or two would have been lined up before January since it was so obviously the issue.

D

Deleted member 1740

They got a bit lucky with Auba in a sense, I recall he was desperate to leave Dortmund last January after a falling out, and they threw a load of cash his way. Lacazette I don't really consider a top player. He languished at Lyon for years before anyone took a punt, and he is behind Giroud in the pecking order for France. Besides which, the calibre of players they attracted back when they were regularly in the top four and competing for the league was greater I think.

Go on, name him 😂

They never got lucky with Aubameyang, they just met the asking price of Dortmund. Arsenal were in the europa and still attracted a top player.

If Lacazette had a spurs shirt on you'd rate him 😉

D

Deleted member 1740

In some ways, but look at the last 10 winners of the FA and league cup - mainly top 6 clubs.

What I dont get is current 7-12th placed mid table teams not going for the FA cup, especially if they've already come through 2 rounds. 4 more games and you win it.

When was Palace, Everton, Watford and West Ham's last trophy, and indeed our last trophy?

Too many games for the size and quality of the squads is my guess is why the other teams dont take the league cup seriously except Everton, they're just shite 😉

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go on, name him 😂

They never got lucky with Aubameyang, they just met the asking price of Dortmund. Arsenal were in the europa and still attracted a top player.

If Lacazette had a spurs shirt on you'd rate him 😉
I'd rate him better than Llorente to sit on our bench, yeah.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Was a weird appointment in the first place. Ranieri is not know for coming in and sorting out a defence. You desperately needed defensive reinforcements, but with two days left you have none. You'd have thought a centre back or two would have been lined up before January since it was so obviously the issue.
It's glaring. We are a defensive shambles although I thought Mawson would have been better than he is. Odoi has played all over the back four but really isn't a centre back and we have no backbone. I hope there deals going on in the background but with no disrespect Babel is not who we need. Have a bad feeling about tonight