An epiphany or perhaps I've gone quite mad.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a revelation, an epiphany, call it the Second Coming (think Roses not Jesus)... I can putt after all.

My well documented love affair with putters this year has been at times tumultuous, exciting, frustrating and not the least bit cheap. A bit like juggling China I should imagine. (Not the country, that would actually be impossible, but the stuff they have on Antiques Roadshow with Fiona Bruce. Belting.)

The putter in the bag currently, only been there a few weeks so shouldn’t get too giddy, has worked very well since it’s arrival but I’m inclined to think that it may also be something to do with me and that dirty filthy word, PRACTICE. Yep, been practicing my putting on a lunchtime a couple of times a week at the club, only for 30 mins or so at a time but I have noticed a MAHOOSIVE change.

Adopting the gate drill (I copy Tiger because I think he’s the bestest ever), ladder drill and just generally putting straight ones from 4ft has really paid off. As has a slight change in technique that at first I didn’t realise I was even doing, the forward press. This particular part of my routine has definitely improved results and has led to a steady non-jittery-non-electrocuted-no-more-having-a-fit style putting stroke.

Balls in the hat this Sunday just gone and I started the round with 5 pars (gross of course, for posterity), largely due to 7 putts through five holes. And not tiddlers either, think gargantuan Anaconda like putts. (No idea where the snake thing has come from, but go with it).

Is my putter quest finally over? (Doubtful, I have some kind of magpie like mental illness when it comes to eBay, putters and Red Stripe.) Will I fulfil the prophecy of being a faithful one putter guy?

One can only hope that this fine puttery (it’s a word, I invented it) continues through to 2014 and leads me on the path out of the Rabbits and in to the Tigers. Out of the warren and in to the jungle. From carrots to zookeepers. From the hutch to the place where Tigers sleep(?).

(*I’ve read this post back and I would like to assure you that I have not taken any class A drugs. This afternoon).

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Them 4 footers are so important to a good score and the P word you mention is key to their success. I've been practicing at home recently just working on hitting straight putts from around 4 feet as I have had a tendency to pull putts left of late. I noticed that I had starting getting my arms too involved rather than rocking my shoulders as I used to and the result on Saturday was 100% success from between 2 & 4 ft (ish) from 6 attempts :thup:

Keep practicing, even 10 minutes a few times a week and hopefully you'll keep a putter longer than a month :D

Last edited:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with you about Fiona. I also agree about the forward press (putting, not Fiona). I played with a tour pro this year who advised me to use the forward press and to take away lower. He advised the forward press because he says the Scotty I use has 4 degrees of loft. I find it also helps me just make a better stroke, but the ball does come off the face a lot hotter and you have to get used to the higher speed. However, I have recently tried my TM Ghost mallet again and the forward press does not work so well with a mallet, I find. As you say, in the end it is practice that will pay off.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree with you about Fiona. I also agree about the forward press (putting, not Fiona). I played with a tour pro this year who advised me to use the forward press and to take away lower. He advised the forward press because he says the Scotty I use has 4 degrees of loft. I find it also helps me just make a better stroke, but the ball does come off the face a lot hotter and you have to get used to the higher speed. However, I have recently tried my TM Ghost mallet again and the forward press does not work so well with a mallet, I find. As you say, in the end it is practice that will pay off.

My pro has a very different opinion on this.

His words

If you have 4° of loft on your putter at address, you should have 4° of loft at impact

If you have a forward press you're, effectively, de-loftiong the putter face. If you then strike the ball with possibly negative loft you'll cause the ball to bounce and make controlling both line and distance tricky.

I agree about keeping the putter head low through the take away and stroke, but the forward press, for me, brings in more variables and has more pitfalls than benefits.

When I look at the better putters on Tour (Donald, Woods et al) They don't use a forward press and if they do, it's not substantial enough to notice.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you have a forward press you're, effectively, de-loftiong the putter face. If you then strike the ball with possibly negative loft you'll cause the ball to bounce and make controlling both line and distance tricky.

I agree about keeping the putter head low through the take away and stroke, but the forward press, for me, brings in more variables and has more pitfalls than benefits.

I've noticed a real difference into putting of late, and I believe it is in part due to my change in setup. The forward press isn't exaggerated, just seeme to happen naturally and I'm noticing a much improved steady stroke as a result. Not actually sure of the loft on my putter but it's a standard off the rack model so guessing about 3 or 4?

If it works, then it works! Different strokes (quite literally) for different folks of course.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've noticed a real difference into putting of late, and I believe it is in part due to my change in setup. The forward press isn't exaggerated, just seeme to happen naturally and I'm noticing a much improved steady stroke as a result. Not actually sure of the loft on my putter but it's a standard off the rack model so guessing about 3 or 4?

If it works, then it works! Different strokes (quite literally) for different folks of course.

Totally agree :thup:

There are plenty of players on tour who use a forward press, and lets face it, if they're on tour they wont be a bad putter.

Mickleson is one who really stands out with regards to a forward press. I read somewhere his putter had something stupid like 7° or 8° of loft to accound for how far forward he leans the shaft.

This is what makes me think doing it with an off the rack putter with 3° of loft (Your Odyssey :D) is going to be de-lofted to such an extent it will have negative loft.

That said. If it works......