Amateur diagnosis reqd, arm trouble

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So the pain is when you lift your arm out
About 7-10 days ago I started to get pain in my upper arm. It is the outer area, top of the arm, the top most muscle area. I thought I'd just slept oddly on it but it is not going away.

I can move my arm up and down without issue but outwards ie to put your arm in a shirt or coat sleeve, is painful. The pain feels as though someone has punched me in that area, possibly even with a knuckle sticking out to make it a sharp pain.

I know I could ring to see a doctor but frankly I'm sure they are rammed and I reckon on here people must have had every arm and shoulder injury known to man.

What is it likely to be? Once I know that I can Google the appropriate exercises to do.

The surgery is open..............

Sounds like deltoid. The deltoid does most of the work of raising the arm out to the side. If that movement is affected, likely deltoid. If lifting the arm in front of you (rather than to the side), more likely biceps.

Any local tenderness - sore to touch or press gently? Any swelling? Has it been much the same since it started, or got any better or worse?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So the pain is when you lift your arm out

Sounds like deltoid. The deltoid does most of the work of raising the arm out to the side. If that movement is affected, likely deltoid. If lifting the arm in front of you (rather than to the side), more likely biceps.

Any local tenderness - sore to touch or press gently? Any swelling? Has it been much the same since it started, or got any better or worse?
Yes, only when I lift to the side. I could swing up and down and there is no issue. Out to the side, say put a bag on the passenger seat when I am in the drivers seat, and there is real pain. I played golf today and it really didn't hurt at all. Go to put my arm in my coat sleeve to walk the dog, ouch.

There doesn't seem to be any tenderness when I touch, no swelling either.

It has got marginally worse since it started, came out of nowhere.