Golfers elbow or tendonitis as it's commonly known

bradleywedge

Visit site
Anybody suffer from this? It was not gained by playing golf, but by repetitive strain at work. Can be very painful, on the inside of my elbow joint. Seen the doctor not much help, just suggested ibroprufren to ease the pain. I appreciate only rest will cure it, but that's impossible as I can't afford the time off work.

I have read on the internet about a brace that can be worn over the affected area, does anyone have any first hand experience of these or recommend any good ones?

It's not stopping me playing golf, but it is just very uncomfortable and it isn't going to go away quickly.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, I've had a similar issue, but mine is Tennis Elbow. The pain is on the outside of the elbow.
I bought a sports brace from Boots that fastens with velcro and has made a big difference. I also saw a physio who gave me some exercises to do with a resistance band.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It very much depends on what is actually causing the pain.

I went to a physio who diagnosed that my muscles were not working in the correct order.

I was given a number of exercises to do and in short time no pain.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes. Had it. Usually get it in the winter when I use the range more from repetitive bashing on the range mats. Not much I do other than anti-inflammatories and rest. It does go and if I am playing the course doesn't really hurt overly (especially if I take some painkillers before I go out)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had it last year and it was a nightmare. Laying bricks all day wasn’t helping!
A few physio sessions and resting as much as possible (no golf) helped massively.
I still get twinges but can manage it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The forearm brace is good while you are working as it isolates the muscle .
But it’s not a long term cure.
Finding what’s causing it is necessary, mine was hammering in work.
Don’t ignore it is my advice, see a physio .

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've had it on and off for a couple of years, mostly in the right arm during the winter, but after a take away change recently, it has affected the left arm in a big way but on the outside (lateral). Worse when on the range because of the speed of repetition, but even worse at night now. Causes me to wake in pain whenever I move as the elbow is seizing up. I use this brace when playing, it helps a lot. I also found this exercise which is really good.

On top of that I use voltarol gel on the elbow and ibuprofen. When it gets too bad, I use naproxen, which is nasty stuff, but works a treat, when that runs out am back to the doc, possibly off to physio.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, I get it in the Winter as a result of weight work when I was younger. The tension bands work really well. Rest and some of the excercises shown also help. Something else to bear in mind, if you are a daily PC user and have your mouse on the same side as the issue, swap it to the other hand. Can make a big difference.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
had tennis elbow in one arm then started to get golfers in the other last year. got some exercises from a physio that really worked and eased th TE so i don't get it that much the GE is a diff story, exercises for GE just havn't work.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On top of that I use voltarol gel on the elbow and ibuprofen. When it gets too bad, I use naproxen, which is nasty stuff, but works a treat, when that runs out am back to the doc, possibly off to physio.[/QUOTE]

Are you aware that doctors state that Diclofenac (Voltarol) and Ibuprofen should not be used at the same time.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
On top of that I use voltarol gel on the elbow and ibuprofen. When it gets too bad, I use naproxen, which is nasty stuff, but works a treat, when that runs out am back to the doc, possibly off to physio.

Are you aware that doctors state that Diclofenac (Voltarol) and Ibuprofen should not be used at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Yes I am, I didn't mean to sound like I use it all at once. Even when I do use, I use sparingly, and due to past issues (stomach ulcer), have to mediate the ibuprofen and naproxen with Lanzoprazole. Generally, the gel goes on once a day in the morning, or just before I leave for a round, the ibuprofen once a day in the evening. If I resort to naproxen, usually take half the required dose and don't use either of the others - a two week prescription usually lasts me up to a year. Which ever option I'm using, I only use on days that it is hurting, if it starts affecting my stomach, I stop taking for a few weeks. If I can do without, I will. not a fan of taking any of it, but sometimes needs must. I put it in the original post because they are different options available to use for this issue, and have worked for me over time, obviously, medicines should not be abused or taken without discussing with a doctor first.