Random rambling about irons

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Played with Moogie yesterday, and those KZ's are the dog's danglies.

Murph, if you're at Woodhall on the 26th/27th you can try my 712 cb's on the Saturday. Nippon stiffs, lie up 1* lofts standard.

...at least they are all consistently UP now!! ;-)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know this is of no use but.....

Having got back into golf, I thought I'd buy some new irons yesterday.

w.t.f. is going on?

PWs with less loft than my 9i? 9i with the loft of my "old, old" set 7i.

What a load of rubbish. I think you are right to fight the trend. :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think your worrying about loft numbers a little bit too much IMHO - with regards to the component heads you mention. The location of the Centre of Gravity on the head is a key factor in determining trajectory, probably more so than loft. This placement is altered in the likes of the 501's when Miura designed them to suit how he wanted them to play overall - i.e. in lower irons, he placed the CoG slightly lower than that in his blades to make them more playable.

I was going to suggest the Wishon 575mmc or the Miura 501's. There is also a Hakusa supplier in the UK I can put you in touch with if you want (Newcastle way) as you mentioned that they were only available in France.

Also speak to Moogie about his KZG's - great heads.

I guess you weren't on here when some idiot living in france bought a pair of matching sets of Hakusa, and accused most of us of being peasants? If not, in joke, sorry!

I get that if you position the cog lower, you might need to lower the lofts to stop the ball from ballooning. Fine. Why bother. You tweak one thing, and then mess with another to counter act it. It all goes round in circles. All I want is a simple, forged, lump of metal on a stick, with modern traditional lofts. No tricks, no gimmicks, no magic, just keep it simple.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
I guess you weren't on here when some idiot living in france bought a pair of matching sets of Hakusa, and accused most of us of being peasants? If not, in joke, sorry!

I get that if you position the cog lower, you might need to lower the lofts to stop the ball from ballooning. Fine. Why bother. You tweak one thing, and then mess with another to counter act it. It all goes round in circles. All I want is a simple, forged, lump of metal on a stick, with modern traditional lofts. No tricks, no gimmicks, no magic, just keep it simple.

I know there are/have been issues with supply of Hakusa but year before last I made a couple of sets - one of the blades and one of the CB's and thought they were excellent heads; played with the demo 7 iron CB head myself and loved it.

I know what you mean re: not playing jacked up lofts etc and I think the component route is def the best option for this - I just don't think you are going to get the exact loft #4, #5, etc.....all the way to #P that you mention/want BUT I wouldn't worry about it too much if you did go down this route.

D

Deleted member 15344

What about the TMTP range ?

The Callaway Apex Pros are very nice irons

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Because making the club launch the ball higher makes them easier to hit and so you need to turn the lofts down. Probably a bit more technical than that, but that is the basics of the idea. My JPX go no further than my MP33 did, even though they have stronger lofts.

It sounds like you want a set of irons that you love the look of and looks cool in the bag. Maybe putting style over playability.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Because making the club launch the ball higher makes them easier to hit and so you need to turn the lofts down. Probably a bit more technical than that, but that is the basics of the idea. My JPX go no further than my MP33 did, even though they have stronger lofts.

It sounds like you want a set of irons that you love the look of and looks cool in the bag. Maybe putting style over playability.

Style is everything?

I only use the hozel, bottom edge, and toe anyway, so it doesn't really matter what I play with. I'm not fussed what anyone else thinks when they look in my bag, it's what I look at that matters. I know what I like to see in an iron, and it's neat, tidy, minimal offset, and a thin top line. I can't see it any other way. I wish I could, it would be so much easier!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Style is everything?

I only use the hozel, bottom edge, and toe anyway, so it doesn't really matter what I play with. I'm not fussed what anyone else thinks when they look in my bag, it's what I look at that matters. I know what I like to see in an iron, and it's neat, tidy, minimal offset, and a thin top line. I can't see it any other way. I wish I could, it would be so much easier!

I found it difficult when I got the JPX, but the launch monitor did not lie and the seeing the figures and the ball actually fly down the range I had to ever come my vanity and get them :eek: