Amateur diagnosis reqd, arm trouble

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
About 7-10 days ago I started to get pain in my upper arm. It is the outer area, top of the arm, the top most muscle area. I thought I'd just slept oddly on it but it is not going away.

I can move my arm up and down without issue but outwards ie to put your arm in a shirt or coat sleeve, is painful. The pain feels as though someone has punched me in that area, possibly even with a knuckle sticking out to make it a sharp pain.

I know I could ring to see a doctor but frankly I'm sure they are rammed and I reckon on here people must have had every arm and shoulder injury known to man.

What is it likely to be? Once I know that I can Google the appropriate exercises to do.

The surgery is open..............

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Covid jab?

I was ok after my first but my 2nd AZ jab wrote my arm off for three months.

Felt muscular but any attempt to massage the area resulted in my shreiking like a wounded donkey.

Better now but I could not lift my arm parallel to my shoulder without a little bit of wee coming out ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I had something similar in my cricketing days..
Doc said I'd tweaked a tendon
Mine settled in about a week.
The test she did was to push the bad arm away from you while holding it in place with the good one
The pain was there..that was the diagnosis

Of course it's likely to be something much more serious than that but happy to help:cool:;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Covid jab?

I was ok after my first but my 2nd AZ jab wrote my arm off for three months.

Felt muscular but any attempt to massage the area resulted in my shreiking like a wounded donkey.

Better now but I could not lift my arm parallel to my shoulder without a little bit of wee coming out ?
Months since the jab but yes, I had that same pain. Not since though so I suspect not that. Very similar though ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had something similar in my cricketing days..
Doc said I'd tweaked a tendon
Mine settled in about a week.
The test she did was to push the bad arm away from you while holding it in place with the good one
The pain was there..that was the diagnosis

Of course it's likely to be something much more serious than that but happy to help:cool:;)
Did you have to do any exercises or did it just resolve itself?

I've readied myself for amputation so anything less is a bonus ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Jeez..it was 30 odd years ago....:eek:
No, I think rest was the answer but then I was young(ish) and everything healed quicker..
I think your days are numbered :unsure:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jeez..it was 30 odd years ago....:eek:
No, I think rest was the answer but then I was young(ish) and everything healed quicker..
I think your days are numbered :unsure:
I've done a quick Google and looking at the description and diagrams given your diagnosis looks pretty good Dr Imurg ?. I'll let the Internet take it from here, what could go wrong ?.

It looks like ibuprofen, gentle exercise, heat, gentle massage, ideally rest. Rest is out of the window, I've got some great golf lined up so I'll be banking on everything else ?. Nothing heals quickly now, those days are sadly gone.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Could it be Polymyalgia. Although that's normally in both arms. My wife had it and the symptoms were similar to yours.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you'd spent 10 years pitching like I did in the 1990s, it could be something like Rotator Cuff. But unlikely in your case.
My elbow still protests any time I try and throw anything now.