Am I overreacting (update it was a prank)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got this email tonight from the committee

Good Evening Division 3 Handicappers,

Following on from our recent announcement of dividing our competitions into Divisions.

We will look to pilot the following concept in the very near future, and would like your feedback.

To ensure speed of play in all competitions (midweek and weekends) we would like to restrict the very busy A.M tee times for Division 1 & 2 only, thus freeing up the quieter P.M times for Division 3 players.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

Competitions & Handicap Committee.

For reference the divisions are

Division 1: up to and including a 10 competition handicap

Division 2: 11 to 19 competition handicap

Division 3: 20 to 54 competition handicap

I don't mind the idea of divisions in comps

But only letting people play at certain times?

I've paid my subs like anyone else

And I can't play afternoons

Edit for anyone who sees this, it turned out to be a prank by my playing partners with the general manager involved to make look real

Last edited:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow, this thread could turn into a classic!

?

I thought that when I posted, there will be a few snobs who will think it's fine

But surely you can't limit full paying members entry into the club just because their not as good as someone else

My group for comps is 3 division 2s and me a division 3 but almost a 2

So what I can't play with them at 10:18?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Sounds like a crock of, to me. I regularly play with a 4 index and when he gets his focused head on it can regularly be 4 or 5 practice swings, and wo be tide anyone should interfere because he will have to start again. There is many a time three of us have ambled all the way up to the green and arrived in time to watch him actually hit his approach shot.

Speed of play is generally a state of mind, not a reflection of handicap. If you make the effort to do the little things that make a difference then anyone can get around in good time.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
How often are the comps?

Our club its EVERY Saturday. So that would be completely unacceptable. But if its once a month it's less of an issue, but still not very palatable.

Speed of play is about etiquette as much as capability.

It is a pilot and they've asked for feedback, so let them have it.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The next email will be that they are charging division 3 players more for their subs because they play more shots than the other divisions.

If this comes in I will seriously consider leaving the club because what's the point of being a member of a club where I can't play comps because my index is over the cut off so I can't play at a time that suits the family

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How often are the comps?

Our club its EVERY Saturday. So that would be completely unacceptable. But if its once a month it's less of an issue, but still not very palatable.

Speed of play is about etiquette as much as capability.

It is a pilot and they've asked for feedback, so let them have it.

I have emailed them back and the GM,

Said this idea needs binning before it goes further

Notice the handicap sec index is bang on 2 so he can play when he wants ...funny that

Comps are twice a month

But even still next on I'm on a late turn

So 10am tee for 1:30 ISH finish

Straight to work

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can sort of see where they are coming from and as I say that as a 20 handicapper but at the same time, everyone pays the same and shouldn't be restricted to what times they can play.

It's a no go and morally wrong.

How about banning green fees before 1pm on comp days first?

Been stuck behind a few green fees on a 10am comp day ..

So surely that would be the first thing you go for

D

Deleted member 15344

Interesting concept

I guess the theory is the slower players are by definition the higher handicaps so they play later in the day

Many clubs do it for their club championship where the lower handicaps go out first and then everyone is in handicap order

Guess this is what they are doing

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't put my view into words I would normally use on here or I would be banned.

Suffice to say I think it's the biggest pile of :poop: that I have read.

Some of the slowest players I know and have seen are men with a handicap that would put them in Division 1 and 2. I should know as we get stuck behind them often enough:mad:

gopher99

Visit site
What our club did for comps is everyone plays together, no matter what handicap you are and then there are divisional winners like 0-10, 11- 18 , 19 - 36 with a overall winner. In my own personal opinion normally the lower the handicap the more time they take to get round as they seem to take it more seriously, what your club is doing could be seen as discrimination against higher handicapped golfers.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting concept

I guess the theory is the slower players are by definition the higher handicaps so they play later in the day

Many clubs do it for their club championship where the lower handicaps go out first and then everyone is in handicap order

Guess this is what they are doing

That's club championship though. Not every competition. Slight difference!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good morning

Turns out this was a very successful prank by my playing partners involving the general manager and the handicap sec to send the email to just me

Very easily done now with GDPR that all emails look like just to you for security

Anyways they got me

So apologies to @PhilTheFragger I didn't realise you weren't allowed to take threads down .. I took down as I thought might end up a massive split thread

Also didn't want to spread fake news so thought best to get rid

Least I don't have to consider my membership now I guess lol

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good morning

Turns out this was a very successful prank by my playing partners involving the general manager and the handicap sec to send the email to just me

Very easily done now with GDPR that all emails look like just to you for security

Anyways they got me

So apologies to @PhilTheFragger I didn't realise you weren't allowed to take threads down .. I took down as I thought might end up a massive split thread

Also didn't want to spread fake news so thought best to get rid

Least I don't have to consider my membership now I guess lol

:ROFLMAO: Now it's time for revenge!