AJ v Wlad

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No idea Richy. Maybe that is a problem. Presumably the money is over in America and if that means fighting useless Americans for a spell perhaps he has to do that.

Can you see Fury getting a license again?

I said that to my mates last night. I think he'll go back down a few levels which will turn some people off. He's got his mandatory due next so let's see what happens.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Already said not a big boxing fan and therefore find the tone a little condescending if I'm honest. Linear champion or not, Fury doesn't have a licence (to my knowledge) and is inactive. What happens in the meantime? How long do people have to wait for their chance then if Fury supposedly has first dibs

I didn't intend it to be condescending, I just found you post very dismissive and based more on you opinion of him outside the ring rather than what he's done in it.

I wouldn't say he has first dibs but he's certainly up there with a few selected others.

The Evertonian

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He seems to be. Why?
You started this thread and since the beginning you have been nothing but negative about Joshua.

So basically, I asked the question to see if I could get any kind of positivity from you regarding Joshua. I think I managed it, even if it did come across as begrudging positivity.

Once the fight was over, straight away you made the thread about Tyson Fury.

Fury may well be the lineal champion, but it's nobodies fault but Tyson Furys that he was stripped of his titles. Let's not forget that Klitshco was entitled to a re-match against Fury, but Fury couldn't get his backside down off the ceiling and into a gym to train for that re-match.

Fury has no respect for the sport that brought him his spoils. So why should the sport worry about him?

Mr A

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You started this thread and since the beginning you have been nothing but negative about Joshua.

So basically, I asked the question to see if I could get any kind of positivity from you regarding Joshua. I think I managed it, even if it did come across as begrudging positivity.

Once the fight was over, straight away you made the thread about Tyson Fury.

Fury may well be the lineal champion, but it's nobodies fault but Tyson Furys that he was stripped of his titles. Let's not forget that Klitshco was entitled to a re-match against Fury, but Fury couldn't get his backside down off the ceiling and into a gym to train for that re-match.

Fury has no respect for the sport that brought him his spoils. So why should the sport worry about him?

I think your post sums up the Fury issue quite well to be fair. He's made a right mess of his success, and to be fair it is his own fault. However he has said he's had issues around his mental health his whole career, even when he was a novice he did interviews when he said he really struggled to stay healthy and balanced mentally. So I find it hard to be too critical. He also is awaiting a hearing on his drug issues, both recreational and performance enhancing.

The sport doesn't owe Fury anything, but he is the heavyweight champion though. So he is still top of the division, and until he is beaten he will remain there. Fury is the fighter that is in the company of the Louis/Ali/Frasier/Holmes/Lewis not AJ, albeit he only has one win at that level.

The reason boxing fans get annoyed at AJ is that really he was gifted his IBF title, and he's received so much hype and attention after this fight, yet when Fury won the gutter press were all over him, and he barely had a good word said about him. And even more bizarrely, AJ would be far more deserving of being thrown under the bus by the press that Fury ever was!

Sorry for the long post, bored at work and still pretty excited by the fight and the fallout from it!

U

User62651

I think your post sums up the Fury issue quite well to be fair. He's made a right mess of his success, and to be fair it is his own fault. However he has said he's had issues around his mental health his whole career, even when he was a novice he did interviews when he said he really struggled to stay healthy and balanced mentally. So I find it hard to be too critical. He also is awaiting a hearing on his drug issues, both recreational and performance enhancing.

The sport doesn't owe Fury anything, but he is the heavyweight champion though. So he is still top of the division, and until he is beaten he will remain there. Fury is the fighter that is in the company of the Louis/Ali/Frasier/Holmes/Lewis not AJ, albeit he only has one win at that level.

The reason boxing fans get annoyed at AJ is that really he was gifted his IBF title, and he's received so much hype and attention after this fight, yet when Fury won the gutter press were all over him, and he barely had a good word said about him. And even more bizarrely, AJ would be far more deserving of being thrown under the bus by the press that Fury ever was!

Sorry for the long post, bored at work and still pretty excited by the fight and the fallout from it!

Cant agree with that bold part, Fury is no legend, who knows he might be in time (doubt it myself) if he takes on and beat Joshua/Wilder and a few others but he's had only one world title fight as you say. Fury is an attention seeker with a huge chip on his shoulder and an embarrassment along with Haye, pair of them along with Chisora turning boxing into WWE. Re your list no Vitali Klitschko, Mike Tyson, George Foreman or Wladimir Klitschko or Holyfield all of whom are a million miles ahead of Tyson Fury in the legend stakes....imho

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16999

I'm sorry, I know Richy knows a lot about boxing and follows it closely, I don't, so won't get into the boxing side apart from being gobsmacked that you even mention Fury in the same sentence as Louis/Ali etc.
As for his treatment by the press maybe it's because he comes across as a homophobic drug taking sexist bigot, even his pre-fight video tweet to Joshua the other night was embarassing.

Joshua makes no excuses for his past mistakes and has moved on, Fury hasn't.

Maybe it's his mental health issues and we should be more tolerant, but if they are that destructive he should seek help and not continue to seek the limelight.

Mr A

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cant agree with that bold part, Fury is no legend, who knows he might be in time (doubt it myself) if he takes on and beat Joshua/Wilder and a few others but he's had only one world title fight as you say. Fury is an attention seeker with a huge chip on his shoulder and an embarrassment along with Haye, pair of them along with Chisora turning boxing into WWE. Re your list no Vitali Klitschko, Mike Tyson, George Foreman or Wladimir Klitschko or Holyfield all of whom are a million miles ahead of Tyson Fury in the legend stakes....imho

I maybe didn't make my point very well. He's not on their level, he is however the lineal heavyweight champion, which all the names I listed were too. So he absolutely is in their company, however as you rightly said they are legends of the sport and Fury only has 1 win at that level, and is a bit of an idiot. And let's be honest, he would need to beat absolutely every heavyweight on the scene currently to become as legendary as those fighters.

And you're right, I could've added a lot more names to that list (except Vitali, who was never lineal iirc) but I wanted to keep my post short as I knew it would go on a bit!

Mr A

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm sorry, I know Richy knows a lot about boxing and follows it closely, I don't, so won't get into the boxing side apart from being gobsmacked that you even mention Fury in the same sentence as Louis/Ali etc.
As for his treatment by the press maybe it's because he comes across as a homophobic drug taking sexist bigot, even his pre-fight video tweet to Joshua the other night was embarassing.

Joshua makes no excuses for his past mistakes and has moved on, Fury hasn't.

Maybe it's his mental health issues and we should be more tolerant, but if they are that destructive he should seek help and not continue to seek the limelight.

I covered the boxing aspect in an earlier reply, so I hope that clears that up.

Fury is an idiot, but his views are just that, his views. He is a traveler and I think they tend to have more fundamentalist views on certain aspects of Christianity. But like any idiot talking rubbish, they can be ignored and the problem goes away. He's not actually harmed anyone, again he is just a bit of an idiot that likes attention.

AJ's past was a bit more sinister than has been reported, but he's turned his life around and fair play to him for that. No need to drag it up. Again, it's the double standard that Fury is criticised for a lot of what he does, but AJ can do no wrong it seems.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting looking at the punch stats from Saturday and comparing them to the Klitschko/Fury fight. Even though the majority of people thought this was the most prepared and best version of Wlad he only threw 25 more punches overall.

I know they don't tell the whole story but they do go some way to showing Klitschko's output was very similar in both fights.

D

Deleted member 16999

I covered the boxing aspect in an earlier reply, so I hope that clears that up.

Fury is an idiot, but his views are just that, his views. He is a traveler and I think they tend to have more fundamentalist views on certain aspects of Christianity. But like any idiot talking rubbish, they can be ignored and the problem goes away. He's not actually harmed anyone, again he is just a bit of an idiot that likes attention.

AJ's past was a bit more sinister than has been reported, but he's turned his life around and fair play to him for that. No need to drag it up. Again, it's the double standard that Fury is criticised for a lot of what he does, but AJ can do no wrong it seems.
Understand the boxing angle :thup:

Unfortunately sportsmen and women in the public eye are not ignored and are looked upon as role models to some.

Fury will have his loyal fans and he has to be aware of his responsibilities to the general public.

I've also no doubt Joshua's popularity will wane and if given a chance the media will turn against him too

U

User62651

Interesting looking at the punch stats from Saturday and comparing them to the Klitschko/Fury fight. Even though the majority of people thought this was the most prepared and best version of Wlad he only threw 25 more punches overall.

I know they don't tell the whole story but they do go some way to showing Klitschko's output was very similar in both fights.

Was it not the case that in the Fury fight Klitschko didn't punch with his right, was very defensive and only jabbed and jabbed with left, was wary of being countered if he used right. Number of punches wouldn't equate to effort if that is true as he threw a lot of big rights v Joshua and fought fairly offensivley and looked out on his feet, v Fury he could have gone another 12 rounds.

Fury can probably take anyone 12 rounds by frustrating them with his sheer bulk and reach. Very awkward and not sure Joshua could beat him if Fury is fit. Would be a interesting and probably frustrating watch.

Mr A

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Understand the boxing angle :thup:

Unfortunately sportsmen and women in the public eye are not ignored and are looked upon as role models to some.

Fury will have his loyal fans and he has to be aware of his responsibilities to the general public.

I've also no doubt Joshua's popularity will wane and if given a chance the media will turn against him too

I hope Joshua's popularity doesn't wane, he is excellent for the profile of the sport and no doubt will be in some great fights. But being in the UK, I'm sure our press will go after him at some point I'm afraid. Lets hope Fury can get himself together, we could be looking at a very exciting, rejuvenated heavyweight division lead by British fighters!