AJ v Wlad

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't agree it was a schooling in that Fury v Klitschko fight. I remember it as a very boring fight of same styles, where no-one took any risks and barely threw anything. It was a poor performance by one, Fury, and a worse one from the other, Klitschko.

It wasn't a classic by any means but he got his tactics spot on and got the victory which is all that counts. He was never in trouble which considering how big a puncher Wlad is was impressive.

I'd hardly say Fury and Klitschko have the same styles

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think that Klitchsko boxed at a higher level against Joshua or Fury ?

Imo Klitchsko was poor against Fury , well below par and Fury took advantage of that , against Joshua Klitchsko wanted to make sure that didn't happen again, there is no way Fury imo would have beaten Klitchsko last night.

Fury has had his 5 mins of fame and will be alongside boxers like Douglas and McCall - one hit wonders that created a shock

I think that Fury didn't allow Klitschko to perform that night. Klitschko was poor and a lot of that was down to the awkwardness of Fury.

How do you know that the Klitschko last night would've beaten Fury? What are you basing your it on?

I'm not a Fury fan by any stretch but I'm objective with my views and don't let what he says outside the ring cloud my judgement.

Your last paragraph is just twaddle

D

Deleted member 15344

I think that Fury didn't allow Klitschko to perform that night. Klitschko was poor and a lot of that was down to the awkwardness of Fury.

How do you know that the Klitschko last night would've beaten Fury? What are you basing your it on?

I'm not a Fury fan by any stretch but I'm objective with my views and don't let what he says outside the ring cloud my judgement.

Your last paragraph is just twaddle

I'm basing it on my belief that Fury took advantage of a very poor Klitchsko and it was a one off imo Fury would have lost to both men last night and comfortably.

Why is my last paragraph twaddle ? Right now Fury isn't fit to ride a bike let alone get in a boxing ring - I don't see him doing anything more in regards titles , and will be put alongside those one fight wonders.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm basing it on my belief that Fury took advantage of a very poor Klitchsko and it was a one off imo Fury would have lost to both men last night and comfortably.

Why is my last paragraph twaddle ? Right now Fury isn't fit to ride a bike let alone get in a boxing ring - I don't see him doing anything more in regards titles , and will be put alongside those one fight wonders.

Again, how do you know he would've? What's to say Fury wouldn't of done to AJ what he did to Klitschko?

Fury is back in camp I believe and I think he's mentally in a better place so we might see soon enough.

D

Deleted member 15344

Again, how do you know he would've? What's to say Fury wouldn't of done to AJ what he did to Klitschko?

Fury is back in camp I believe and I think he's mentally in a better place so we might see soon enough.

It's an opinion based on watching both fights and seeing two different Klitchskos out there - and from listening to the guys on five live and on sky it seems it's an opinion shared by a number of people.

I'm guessing Fury is at fat camp looking at the state of him last time

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's an opinion based on watching both fights and seeing two different Klitchskos out there - and from listening to the guys on five live and on sky it seems it's an opinion shared by a number of people.

I'm guessing Fury is at fat camp looking at the state of him last time

So the Sky commentators back the sky fighter? Who'd of thought it?

You can't work off triangle theories in boxing. You have to look at the facts. AJ and Klitschko went life and death with each other and either could've been stopped. Fury comfortably beat Klitschko, whether you think it was a one off is irrelevant.

It's funny how when Fury beat Klitschko he was deemed to be past it. Now when AJ scrapes through a fight with him he was just underprepared.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
The evidence of him being underprepared for the fury fight is clear though. Look at the condition he went into both fights in.

Fury did did a great job to beat him, nobody can take that away from him. Klitschko was in much better shape and much better prepared for the AJ fight though. Fury beat a man who had nothing to prove and was coasting along, fighting with his jab and not needing anything more. I think he thought Fury was a clown with all his pre fight theatrics and didn't need more than he had before to beat him.

For a a man like Klitschko this was a chance to prove to the world he was still the best and prepared in that way. It's amazing what a defeat can do to a man like Klitschkos motivation and focus. I think if Fury didn't keep pulling out of rematches then he would have been in the ring with a much more focussed fighter

Mr A

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Going to have to back Richy up here. I don't think anyone can say Wlad was better prepared for this fight than against AJ. There is an old saying in boxing - styles make fights. Stylistically Fury is all wrong for Wlad, both in and out of the ring. Their fight wasn't a classic but Fury won comfortably, which without question was one of the greatest wins by a British fighter ever.

The reason we have heard so much about Wlad's preparations this time is it helps sell the PPV. People didn't forget his non performance v Fury, and what better way to iron over that than talking about how much more serious you are this time. As far as I'm aware, he prepared the same for this fight as he did any other.

Regardless of current circumstances Fury is THE heavyweight champion, a clear and deserved #1 until someone beats him in the ring. That said, I think AJ has tons of potential, and could beat Fury. But this talk of AJ being a future great is incredibly premature, he's just beat his first live/competitive opponent!

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going to have to back Richy up here. I don't think anyone can say Wlad was better prepared for this fight than against AJ. There is an old saying in boxing - styles make fights. Stylistically Fury is all wrong for Wlad, both in and out of the ring. Their fight wasn't a classic but Fury won comfortably, which without question was one of the greatest wins by a British fighter ever.

The reason we have heard so much about Wlad's preparations this time is it helps sell the PPV. People didn't forget his non performance v Fury, and what better way to iron over that than talking about how much more serious you are this time. As far as I'm aware, he prepared the same for this fight as he did any other.

Regardless of current circumstances Fury is THE heavyweight champion, a clear and deserved #1 until someone beats him in the ring. That said, I think AJ has tons of potential, and could beat Fury. But this talk of AJ being a future great is incredibly premature, he's just beat his first live/competitive opponent!

Bang on

D

Deleted member 15344

Just checked on the current list of the holders of the championship belts and I can't see Tyson Furys name there ?

Joshua has two , Wilder and Parker one each

Right now there are three Heavyweight Champions of the World - no one is undisputed.

Fury right now doesn't even have a license to box let alone any championship belts

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just checked on the current list of the holders of the championship belts and I can't see Tyson Furys name there ?

Right now there are three Heavyweight Champions of the World - no one is undisputed.

Fury right now doesn't even have a license to box let alone any championship belts

He's still the lineal champion

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You can only fight the bloke in front of you and whether that fighter is perfectly prepared or not isn't your problem once the bell goes. Thought it was a good fight and at least we know Joshua doesn't have the glass chin of some previous British heavyweights. I think Joshua did well and will have taken a lot from the fight. I'd like to see Wlad call it a day now rather than carrying on too long. Personally and I'm probably in a minority but I really don't want to see Fury fight him. I think he's overblown (both weight and hype) and and I'd like to see Joshua start to unify the weight

Mr A

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The belts (for the most part) dont mean what they used to. Now there are 4 sanctioning bodies, pretty much anyone in the top 15/20 can end up winning one. But it's fair to say if a fighter has more than one they are a top fighter in their weigh class. That's why you hear the term 'lineal' as this means the 'true' champion, the real #1 in the division. So using this example Wlad was WBA/IBF/WBO/Lineal champ, he lost to Fury who was then stripped of the belts by the sanctioning bodies, but regardless of this he remains lineal champion as he hasn't been beaten in the ring, and is still the true champion.

When boxing gets it right like it did last night, it is simply phenomenal. But it's such a corrupt mess, it's no wonder people can't follow it and get confused with the belts and rankings!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thoroughly enjoyed last nights bout, more so than any heavyweight fight I have watched in an age! Both fighters went for it, and it made for great entertainment.
With regards fury, I though he was stripped of his title because of his drug suspension making him no longer champ? Of course I could be wrong though. Looking a fury, and watching his fights, he did a good job against wla, correct tactics, used his height and weight and ground wlad down, it is possible if wlad had been as stripped out for that fight, his lowest weight in 7/8 years, he could have used the extra energy to take out fury, but it's also possible the same result could have occurred.
Fury v AJ would be an interesting proposition for me, not sure josh wants it, looking past the hype, josh got banged last night and could have been taken out, couple those from fury could be dangerous, I know he got up to win, but I'm not sure wlad had much left to take him out so josh was able to regroup. If fury was to keep leaning on him as he did to wlad he would be even more drained and perhaps unable to regroup. Could make for a good match.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't particularly follow boxing but as an outsider Fury is a joke figure. Something would be badly wrong if he got a license to box again. Would anyone outside of hard core UK boxing fans be interested in Fury v AJ? Surely he has bigger fish to fry now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't particularly follow boxing but as an outsider Fury is a joke figure. Something would be badly wrong if he got a license to box again. Would anyone outside of hard core UK boxing fans be interested in Fury v AJ? Surely he has bigger fish to fry now.

My thought as well. Fury is surely seemed by many in the sport as a pantomine villain and I can't see what he has to offer boxing now given his issues outside the ring. I'm sure many US fans wouldn't want it and surely Joshua wants to be known as one of the best and that means facing the best there is and in my mind that doesn't include Fury

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My thought as well. Fury is surely seemed by many in the sport as a pantomine villain and I can't see what he has to offer boxing now given his issues outside the ring. I'm sure many US fans wouldn't want it and surely Joshua wants to be known as one of the best and that means facing the best there is and in my mind that doesn't include Fury

If you think it doesn't include the current lineal champion then you really don't follow boxing very closely and don't understand the thoughts of those in the game

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No idea Richy. Maybe that is a problem. Presumably the money is over in America and if that means fighting useless Americans for a spell perhaps he has to do that.

Can you see Fury getting a license again?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Already said not a big boxing fan and therefore find the tone a little condescending if I'm honest. Linear champion or not, Fury doesn't have a licence (to my knowledge) and is inactive. What happens in the meantime? How long do people have to wait for their chance then if Fury supposedly has first dibs