Afghanistan

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
We would need to be there for 200* years to change the religious ideology of a country such as Afghanistan.

*Made up number as all I know is it would take generations.
Why would we want to change the religious ideology of any country? We haven’t in other middle eastern states.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would we want to change the religious ideology of any country? We haven’t in other middle eastern states.
Looking a little deeper the ideology is fundamentally sound, where religion is weak is in it’s interpretation. So no need to change the ideology but to educate people to interpret the message.
The question is have the Taliban, read and interpreted the teachings differently to their previous interpretations ? If they have then women will have choices freedoms and respect.. time will tell though.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sadly I don’t think the Taliban have changed their interpretation. I think it’s all a PR exercise to appease the rest of the world.
When things start to settle down, people will disappear and women will be treated like third class citizens. Why else, if true, have they gone door to door identifying those that helped the West. If all was forgiven, then why the need to identify them.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sadly I don’t think the Taliban have changed their interpretation. I think it’s all a PR exercise to appease the rest of the world.
When things start to settle down, people will disappear and women will be treated like third class citizens. Why else, if true, have they gone door to door identifying those that helped the West. If all was forgiven, then why the need to identify them.
I think your right, but let’s wait till they get over confident and see how good the drones are.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The Taliban isn't a single homogenous political force, it's a group of disparate tribal groups who will have different ideologies on the way Sharia law should be applied to people's lives.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doesn't surpeise me we have more incompetance being uncovered. However, our Governments failings aside, how can we expect a country that is basically 5 clans work together for the collective good when we all saw how divided and polarised we were with a referendum that had only 2 sides?.
We should never have gone there in the first place.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The stirring of the press and the shear band wagon jumpers are about. If any thinks that such a delicate matter would be discussed over an unsecured telephone line is either thick or just stirring for a reaction. Well you have one. The only question was "Why was he on holiday" .

D

Deleted member 1147

The Taliban isn't a single homogenous political force, it's a group of disparate tribal groups who will have different ideologies on the way Sharia law should be applied to people's lives.
Tribal sects seems to be the biggest issue with the whole of the Middle East.
You call somewhere a country, but that country is then split into tribes, each of which has a historic hatred of another.
and of course some tribes cross national boundaries.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tribal sects seems to be the biggest issue with the whole of the Middle East.
You call somewhere a country, but that country is then split into tribes, each of which has a historic hatred of another.
and of course some tribes cross national boundaries.

Sounds a bit like the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland...

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting link.
I was wondering if we would treat Afghanistan differently if had a precious resource, as we do another country that is ruled by Sharia law, carries out public beheadings and floggings, has strict dress codes, bans alcohol, treats women as second class citizens, was linked to 9/11 and hunts down and murders it’s critics. But we seem to think that the way that country and its rulers operate as acceptable.

People would. But it’s not on the news or in the papers.
Injustices and atrocities across the globe but people only care about what’s on trend.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
People would. But it’s not on the news or in the papers.
Injustices and atrocities across the globe but people only care about what’s on trend.
What people in general care about across the globe is living their lives by the path of least resistance, what else do you suggest.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sat outside Ely cathedral. It is very busy above my head with massive transport aircraft. Anything to do with afghanistan and Mildehall or not. Or is it the norm.