Afghanistan

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Total attention seeker. Stuff happens. He knew the drill

Phil you know this. You know the type

I don’t think that was the message they were trying to convey

More about lots of people and money was invested in helping the country defend itself

Billions spent on equipment and 20 years of manpower to train them and give them an army to protect the country and to protect the democracy that they appeared to be moving towards

It’s a shame that it appears all that money and time has been wasted when the first time they needed to be stood up they appeared to have failed , thousands of them have just dropped arms and ran including the government

So I guess these guys feel that all that effort and lives lost appears a bit of a waste

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do wonder where they got all their ordnance from given the Afghan army were not fed and did not have ammunition… I know us leaving was a major issue but why were they not supplied? Or is that an indelicate question to ask? Have we just perpetuated a corrupt administration.. ?
Can we draw parallels to Vietnam?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Having started the job, the US and the UK should have seen it through to the finish. Withdrawing sends out a number of messages to the West’s enemies – 1) the West does not have the power of its convictions; 2) the West is weak, militarily and intellectually; 3) having burnt its fingers, the West is unlikely to intervene again.

The Russians and Chinese will take heart. Particularly the latter with Taiwan in its sights.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having started the job, the US and the UK should have seen it through to the finish. Withdrawing sends out a number of messages to the West’s enemies – 1) the West does not have the power of its convictions; 2) the West is weak, militarily and intellectually; 3) having burnt its fingers, the West is unlikely to intervene again.

The Russians and Chinese will take heart. Particularly the latter with Taiwan in its sights.
Would there ever be a right time to withdraw our troops? Seems to me the country would always return to an extreme muslin culture when the opportunity arises so now is as good as any time. I know this sounds harsh and uncaring but I believe it's often the way when a country is governed by a (religious or any form of) monoculture.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Would there ever be a right time to withdraw our troops? Seems to me the country would always return to an extreme muslin culture when the opportunity arises so now is as good as any time. I know this sounds harsh and uncaring but I believe it's often the way when a country is governed by a (religious or any form of) monoculture.

Yes I do agree, When the allies smashed the ideology of Nazism, they smashed Germany and stood on the Rhine for forty yeas to make sure it didnt return. Nowadays there is no politician or general that says as General Curtis LeMay said in WW2, “If you kill enough of them they’ll stop fighting”.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes I do agree, When the allies smashed the ideology of Nazism, they smashed Germany and stood on the Rhine for forty yeas to make sure it didnt return. Nowadays there is no politician or general that says as General Curtis LeMay said in WW2, “If you kill enough of them they’ll stop fighting”.
There's a major difference between Germany and Afghanistan and that's it's religion. It's possible to make changes to political junta's but I can't see there ever being a way to remove Muslim fundamentalism from the region, it's been entrenched and tribal driven for Milena.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
We were stood on the Wesser for something that could have been far greater than Nazism

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
https://www.boredpanda.com/afghanis...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Afghanistan in the 60’s was far different country

The Taliban are claiming they want the country to go back to those days , they want women to have equal right , people to be educate and have fair democratic government

I suspect sanctions will be applied soon and then a humanitarian disaster to follow

Interesting link.
I was wondering if we would treat Afghanistan differently if had a precious resource, as we do another country that is ruled by Sharia law, carries out public beheadings and floggings, has strict dress codes, bans alcohol, treats women as second class citizens, was linked to 9/11 and hunts down and murders it’s critics. But we seem to think that the way that country and its rulers operate as acceptable.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Interesting link.
I was wondering if we would treat Afghanistan differently if had a precious resource, as we do another country that is ruled by Sharia law, carries out public beheadings and floggings, has strict dress codes, bans alcohol, treats women as second class citizens, was linked to 9/11 and hunts down and murders it’s critics. But we seem to think that the way that country and its rulers operate as acceptable.
Because we keep them under relative control by also supporting a nuclear power in that region who would love to wipe that particular Arab state off the face of the earth. Politics eh.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because we keep them under relative control by also supporting a nuclear power in that region who would love to wipe that particular Arab state off the face of the earth. Politics eh.
Plus the reality is we don’t give a monkeys what they do to their own or other foreign nationals… we show our true colours

On that note shall we move on and discuss house prices in the UK ??

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

We would need to be there for 200* years to change the religious ideology of a country such as Afghanistan.

*Made up number as all I know is it would take generations.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We would need to be there for 200* years to change the religious ideology of a country such as Afghanistan.

*Made up number as all I know is it would take generations.
Stupid as it may sound, the women are their future. Without women there will be a lot of men and that won’t create a new generation.. also not sure if shariah law actually is of any use to women either as my limited knowledge of it is it treats them like property