Advice you wish you had when you first started?

Fabia999

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am a new golfer (joined my first club in October) and I have a couple of questions..

What advice do you wish you had received when you first starting playing golf?

I am in the process on handing in three scorecards to get my handicap. I have noticed a theme where I score high on longer holes. As i have a medical condition I have a slow swing speed and that combined with being a beginner, i also have a problem with picking up the ball (I'm sure this will go with practice) which causes a issue with distance. What club would you recommend for a second shot on longer holes? I am looking at hybrids and 5/7 woods (preferably with higher loft, and lighter shaft).

Thanks

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get lessons, keep having them even if it is only twice a year. I lost a chunk of time trying to improve by 'working things out' on my own. I just ended up with fault upon fault. Lessons keep you straight.

Regarding longer shots, do exactly what you suggest. Go with a hybrid or 5 wood, 7 wood etc that suits you. So much easier than long irons. Take your time buying that club and make sure it suits you, it could end up being the most important club in your bag.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Play your own game.
Just because your swings slow dosnt mean your clubhead speed is .
So try a couple of demo 5 woods / hybrids to see what suits best.
Just enjoy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have a lesson. Speak to the pro about your limitations and find a way to work within these to get the most from it. Other than that, enjoy it. You'll never beat it and there will be more bad days than good and it'll frustrate you to bits. However you'll meet some great people along the way and hopefully play some nice courses and hopefully you'll get the bug totally and there will be no stopping you

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Lessons are a must.
As for your slower swing speed, what shaft are in your clubs? I'm guessing regular.
If so, I would suggest you try out a few softer shafts.
Look for 'A flex', 'senior flex' soft regular or ladies as they are more suited to slower swing speeds

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lessons are a must, but you don't need very many of them. Have 2 or 3 at the beginning to learn fundamentals, then, if you get to a decent standard, you may want a couple to fix any slight flaws that have crept in.

Don't be that person that has several hundred lessons but doesn't actually improve at all because you never really understand what you're being taught.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Re: lessons. They're not essential BUT in answer to the OP's question:

What advice do you wish you had received when you first starting playing golf?

I wish I had been advised to take lessons when I first started (to at keast gain sound fundamentals). I would add that this might be even more beneficial to the OP given the physical limitations stated.

Apart from that I would say - practice putting. A lot. Very few people really practice putting properly but it's a major part of the game.

HTH