Advice you wish you had when you first started?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting Mark Crossfield video on YouTube. He was saying he wished he had tried raising his left heel on his back swing, and straightening his right knee when he first started playing. Similar to Jack Nicklaus and Bubba Watson. Reckons he would have been a club longer.

Coaches didn’t recognise this way of playing, so never taught it. Think I will give it a go as not going to turn down extra distance.(y)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting Mark Crossfield video on YouTube. He was saying he wished he had tried raising his left heel on his back swing, and straightening his right knee when he first started playing. Similar to Jack Nicklaus and Bubba Watson. Reckons he would have been a club longer.

Coaches didn’t recognise this way of playing, so never taught it. Think I will give it a go as not going to turn down extra distance.(y)

Noooooooooooo don't do it.
Play off the red tees instead :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Coaches didn’t recognise this way of playing, so never taught it. Think I will give it a go as not going to turn down extra

distance.(y)

My coach definitely recommends the move, maybe not lifting the heel but certainly the leg movements. It seems the Hogan swing is in vogue at the moment and the leg movement allows more hip turn and less back injury with more distance - what's not to like?

Wolf

Visit site
And when you are first starting out how do you know your natural swing style & find that pro?
Absolutely 100% agree with this comment. Nothing in the golf swing is a natural movement everything is counter intuitive so if you've never swung a club before there won't be a natural style. Best to get the basics right from a decent pro to give you best chance to make better more repeatable moves every time.

The advice I wish I'd had would have been understand golf is a game of patience and ultimately to be enjoyed. Spent to much time as a junior being frustrated and annoyed when I wasn't playing to best of my ability.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Contrary to what some people believe, there is no PGA swing that all pros are taught to teach.
Pros teaching is based on the 5 laws of golf at impact
Speed
Swingpath
Angle of attack
Clubface direction
Hitting the sweet spot.
These have a direct influence on the ball.
So if a golfer has a slice/hook, that will be down to the swingpath and clubface direction.
Where the variation comes would be how to fix these faults

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say that I played the game once, realised what was needed and never went on a course again until I had taken a couple of lessons. My brother and I started the game almost together and both played about the same amount, he is the type that cannot be taught anything and will always persevere to learn for himself, 40 years on his game has never improved and in fact his putting has got a lot worse.

I continued to have lessons for over 30 years (often just a little tweak here and there, with a lesson needing no more than a 10 or so balls) and only stopped when my body will no longer take range pounding.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Absolutely 100% agree with this comment. Nothing in the golf swing is a natural movement everything is counter intuitive so if you've never swung a club before there won't be a natural style. .

Really....so why do some swing the club around their body, where as others swing the club steeper and more upright.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t let them go out and find a pro, I would recommend a pro to them, as finding a good pro is not that easy and I had one that actually destroyed my game.
Then I would tell them to never, ever play around with their grip and pay great attention to it every time they play.
And then I would show them the feet together drill and advise they get good at it. And keep doing it throughout their golfing life.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started recently and got some great advice that I super valued, maybe even from this forum. Someone suggested that I make sure to play a variety of courses, definitely helped me 1- work out what i liked and where to join, and 2- what areas of my games were naturally strong and weak.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Accept from the outset that there is no direct correlation between hard work/effort/practice/training and results where golf is concerned. It's the part of this game I still find the hardest to stomach sometimes. The rewards can be very few and far between but when they come they are amazing. Be patient...I'm not! Practice makes permanent!

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My coach definitely recommends the move, maybe not lifting the heel but certainly the leg movements. It seems the Hogan swing is in vogue at the moment and the leg movement allows more hip turn and less back injury with more distance - what's not to like?
Tried it today on the back nine. 12 points going out, 21 on the back nine.:eek: Off the tee it worked really well, but not so sure off the deck. Definitely added 20yards to my drives, but now to see what my back feels like in the morning. Biggest improvement seemed to be it gave me much more room to hit the ball. Not so steep into the ball, which really helped with long shots. Can get away with steeper strikes with shorter irons.

Definitely give it another try.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Tried it today on the back nine. 12 points going out, 21 on the back nine.:eek: Off the tee it worked really well, but not so sure off the deck. Definitely added 20yards to my drives, but now to see what my back feels like in the morning. Biggest improvement seemed to be it gave me much more room to hit the ball. Not so steep into the ball, which really helped with long shots. Can get away with steeper strikes with shorter irons.

Definitely give it another try.

It takes a while to find how much movement suits you, but definitely improves distance

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Lifting the left heel on the backswing can lead to a sway.
Not a problem if the ball is on a tee but can cause problems if the ball is on the ground
Realised I was leaving too much weight on the left side with the driver, so found lifting left heel helped get weight onto the right side. Definitely seemed to work better on a tee, which is where I have the most problems.

I tried it on a second shot into our last hole, off an upslope, and it did feel like I had swayed off the ball. Usually a shot I am confident with, so think you are spot on Bob.(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Really....so why do some swing the club around their body, where as others swing the club steeper and more upright.
Look at Plane Truth by Jim Hardy which explains the difference between one plane (more around the body) and two plane (more upright). Both are effective and both can be taught effectively by a good professional depending on how a pupil swings the club