Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood off the tee?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I currently use an Adams Speedline 3 Hybrid FW off the tee on our longer par 3s and also as a fallback when the driver starts acting up.

I bought it second hand from AG when i first took the game up 2 years ago, but found i couldn't hit it then so it sat in the garage until a few months ago when I decided to try again with it. I have been getting reasonable results, so it has stayed in the bag.

I only ever hit it off the tee - my Cobra F6 4 hybrid is my go-to for long 2nd shots - and to be honest, I only realised the Speedline is meant to be a cross between a hybrid and a FW when I googled it a few days ago!

Google also tells me the club dates back to 2009, so I was thinking maybe it's time to upgrade to a better 3 wood. My first thought was an F6, but these are still a bit pricey at £129 for a range which has been superceded by the F7.

I had a look about, and have found the Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood, new for £36 in Fat Mike's bargain basement!! Seemed like a no brainer until I read an online review saying it was better off the ground than off the tee.

Does anyone on here use one of these off the tee, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried a second hand Tight Lies from AG at the range. It didn't work off the lowest tee height there, but the lowest tee height wasn't particularly low. It's just that the face is very low profile, but I'm sure you could just tee it up pretty low like you would for mid/long iron and it would be fine? Just experiment with tee heights until you find one that works - even if it's only 3mm off the deck!

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm currently on the scout out for a 3-wood with a deeper face, got an old 'XCG3' with a nice deep face which I hit really well, also got an 'XR' which I hit well on occasions, the only thing is the 'XCG3' is getting a bit long in the tooth now and is beginning to look a bit battered around the edges hence the hunt for a new toy... :thup:

ps, also got a 'Wilson deep red II fatshaft' 3-wood which goes like an absolute rocket but being real 'old skool' is a bit of a running joke between me and my mates...

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm currently on the scout out for a 3-wood with a deeper face, got an old 'XCG3' with a nice deep face which I hit really well, also got an 'XR' which I hit well on occasions, the only thing is the 'XCG3' is getting a bit long in the tooth now and is beginning to look a bit battered around the edges hence the hunt for a new toy... :thup:

ps, also got a 'Wilson deep red II fatshaft' 3-wood which goes like an absolute rocket but being real 'old skool' is a bit of a running joke between me and my mates...

Forget the tattiness! It's the performance that matters! And if you get on with the TEE XCG3, it's one to stick with!

As for the OP's question... Tight Lies is very low profile, so tee it low! If it works that way, then it's a keeper! Otherwise there are plenty of other Adams alternatives!

D

Deleted member 21258

I have the original tight lies (well 5,7 and 9 woods) which are very similar and low profile. When I hit them off the tee I just use one of those small orange castle tees and feel like it is a fairway shot, so hit down on it and have no problems with it.

Sometimes if looking for a high cut flight, I will tee it up on a taller red castle tee and play it like a driver swing.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I normally use the blue castle tees when hitting my current 3 wood or a hybrid off the tee - are they too high for this club then?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I normally use the blue castle tees when hitting my current 3 wood or a hybrid off the tee - are they too high for this club then?

Shallow faces benefit from a lower tee, about half a ball above the top is fine, even for shallow 3 woods.

Impact tape can help see if you tend to hit too high on the face.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Shallow faces benefit from a lower tee, about half a ball above the top is fine, even for shallow 3 woods.

Impact tape can help see if you tend to hit too high on the face.

Sky marks are another dead giveaway that yer ball's teed-up to high, believe me, I know, the evidence was all along the top edge of my X2hot, hence my preference for a deeper face... :thup:

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
I've got a 3 wood. Face is very small. Works lovely off the deck but I tend to mis-hit horribly with it even slightly raised up on a tee. I always put it down to my poor technique though...

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Probably one the easiest to hit woods I've used. I just changed my 3 wood as I went for a fitting and switched to the epic but I've still got the 5 wood in the bag