Accents

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't stand the Liverpool or Birmingham accents. Really don't much like the Belfast accent either. That last one's a bit more problematic for me as I'm from north Belfast area myself. My accent has softened and anglicised over the years, but still clearly Northern Irish.

A few years ago I was working in London. One of my team mates was from south Belfast. When we spoke to the English team mates, they could understand us without any problems. When we spoke to each other, our accents automatically hardened up and we became unintelligible to the others. And then instantly softened again when we spoke to the others.

Last edited:

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Travel to Germany occasionally where we meet up with guys from different UK regions who have German wives. Its quite amusing to hear German women speaking English but with different accents. My favorite is one who speaks it with a South Wales accent.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Travel to Germany occasionally where we meet up with guys from different UK regions who have German wives. Its quite amusing to hear German women speaking English but with different accents. My favorite is one who speaks it with a South Wales accent.
I have a sister-in-law who speaks English with a mix of accents - South American Spanish, Australian and Leicester. Absolutely fantastic to listen to - and boy can she rabbit. One of my nieces is tri-lingual - Spanish (Chilean), English and Korean on-the-way as she is there at university.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I couldn't understand a word that Gerald the farm hand said in Clarkston's farm :D
I'm not sure that anyone understands Gerald o_O.

I have lived in Newcastle and Northumberland for over 30 years. A rural Northumbrian accent is very tough to decipher, even now. The R's get rolled at the back of the throat for that one incidentally.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find certain accents very grating, such as Birmingham and Liverpool. Northern Irish sounds quite intimidating (think Paddy Maguire in Shamless!). I think my favourite accent is North East, such as Geordie - particularly in comedy, it seems to add something for some reason.

Given that I'm from Middlesex I don't really feel like I have an accent. I mean it's London, but not Cockney or East End or anything.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I find certain accents very grating, such as Birmingham and Liverpool. Northern Irish sounds quite intimidating (think Paddy Maguire in Shamless!). I think my favourite accent is North East, such as Geordie - particularly in comedy, it seems to add something for some reason.

Given that I'm from Middlesex I don't really feel like I have an accent. I mean it's London, but not Cockney or East End or anything.
You have an accent.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am Northern Irish too, not really hard Belfast accent and vernacular, though, a bit more rural. I think the accent has softened a bit after 25 years in Englandshire, but people still often remark 'Oh, you haven't lost your accent", to which I usually respond 'Is that a compliment or an insult?'.

I like softish Welsh and Scots accents. Have to admit I am not keen on the Brummy and West Country accents or very globally stoppy Estuary English. Don't mind most of the rest. Don't mind Canadian and Aussie accents and some US accents. Not deep hillbilly or valley girls, though.

Most accents get less pleasant when very heavy.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
It doesn't, it really doesn't.

Micky Flanagan is funnier than Sarah Millican though. ?

I like most accents except pikey, put on mockney and white kids trying to sound black.

Worked with all sorts and only struggled to understand one stuttering Ulster-man, apart from that I think I have a good ear for accents.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Micky Flanagan is funnier than Sarah Millican though. ?

I like most accents except pikey, put on mockney and white kids trying to sound black.

Worked with all sorts and only struggled to understand one stuttering Ulster-man, apart from that I think I have a good ear for accents.
Ha ha. I like both to be fair. Saying that I saw Sarah Millican live in Newcastle and she wasn't funny. Fell into the classic live comedians trap of just swearing and thinking that would be enough, Lee Mack did the same sadly. Much funnier on TV