Putting

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just reading Mark Ts post about retaking a missed putt. Some were missable but others were missed tap ins.
But would you say a lower handicappers mentality towards putting is better than a higher handicappers. Reason I say is our course can be brutal on the greens in the summer, the turn and pace is punishing. Yet when I play with the lads in fuddles and knockabouts the 12” gimmes, putter grip gimmes end up getting longer and longer so it gets to the point where your measuring the putter length. Ave mentioned to the lads that were not helping ourselves and am convinced better players would not have the same mentality as we sometimes have.
Ave sometimes had that “ look”, is that a gimme. Sometimes Ave heard “ do I pick up”, At putts that are missable. Sometimes Ave give them and sometimes not. When they miss “ gimmes” I feel justification but also feel there’s a touch of “ I should of been given that.
Thoughts on lower and higher handicappers putting mentality please.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I doubt that any regular golfers don't say the same as you. I think making someone putt out in the period from late autumn to about Easter time is likely to be a waste but my group and I, by agreement, are not giving putts now unless they really are tap ins. If the greens are really poor in the winter I think that it could easily turn a player yippy and, I for one, dont take winter putting in friendly games seriously as the miss could be more the condition of the green than the quality of your stroke

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
As I know all about high handicap golf I'll try anything to get that irritating little ball into the hole.
Looking at the hole and not the ball means that the putter face stays on line longer.
Changing my putting grip works for a while.
Failing that, the Trevillion method.

D

Deleted member 3432

Just reading Mark Ts post about retaking a missed putt. Some were missable but others were missed tap ins.
But would you say a lower handicappers mentality towards putting is better than a higher handicappers. Reason I say is our course can be brutal on the greens in the summer, the turn and pace is punishing. Yet when I play with the lads in fuddles and knockabouts the 12” gimmes, putter grip gimmes end up getting longer and longer so it gets to the point where your measuring the putter length. Ave mentioned to the lads that were not helping ourselves and am convinced better players would not have the same mentality as we sometimes have.
Ave sometimes had that “ look”, is that a gimme. Sometimes Ave heard “ do I pick up”, At putts that are missable. Sometimes Ave give them and sometimes not. When they miss “ gimmes” I feel justification but also feel there’s a touch of “ I should of been given that.

Simple thing is to spend a little time on the putting green. Find the nastiest putt on the green and knock them in from a couple of feet for 20 mins or half an hour. Make it a length of putt you won't miss and you will find your confidence increasing.

Get to the club a little earlier and invest a little time on the practice green, it's as simple as that.

You get out of golf what you put in in my experience.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site

100 per cent, I play in a four who give everything, more for the casual sake of it rather than letting one another off but I know I’ll be in tatters if I ever play in a comp. I’d happily do away with any gimmes

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm rubbish at putting, well the 30cm putts. I have a tendency to, at the very last split second before contact with the ball, open the club face a tiny fraction and then miss the putt to the right of the hole. BUT, I've just started to line the putt up by squaring the face with the hole then gripping the putter and putting my index finger down the shaft, like I've seen loads of club player doing. This has helped a great deal. I'm sinking 9 out of 10 of these nasty putts now.

Obviously this will only help for a while, then the system will fail and I'll have to find another thing to help.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
100 per cent, I play in a four who give everything, more for the casual sake of it rather than letting one another off but I know I’ll be in tatters if I ever play in a comp. I’d happily do away with any gimmes

I have said this before but it's worth saying again, my wife always said since she started playing the game, "isn't the object of the game to put the ball in the hole?".
We don't play gimmies, NOT EVER! And I never do, even when offered them.

evemccc

Visit site
I’m not a good putter. For this reason I always putt out a gimme - unless a PP or myself are in a hurry for whatever reason, or if there are people behind who are grumpy.

I don’t really play golf competitively with PP but any gimmes in any comp or match-play, I acknowledge with a ‘thanks accepted’ but then putt anyway for practice

RichA

Visit site
My lot don't do gimmes. I've never understood the point. Can I assume my drive will be a good one and just throw a ball down in the middle of the fairway?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Putting is the one part of golf where a complete beginner, with the right application, can be as good as a pro within a few months.

When they practice you will find the last place beginners find is the practice green.
You will find generally find them on the range hitting a basket full of balls [badly] with a driver.;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know what you mean. With the greens at our new course being rollercoaster-like, it took us a while to realise we needed to stop giving generous gimmes on our non-comp rounds as it was the two and three footers we needed the practise on! If you never have to knock one in when practising it only makes it more nerve-wracking when you need one in the comp.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Putting is the one part of golf where a complete beginner, with the right application, can be as good as a pro within a few months.

When they practice you will find the last place beginners find is the practice green.
You will find generally find them on the range hitting a basket full of balls [badly] with a driver.;)

I found when I started to play golf, if I couldn't get to the green in less than a shed load of shots that putting well didnt help much!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone who is offended at not being given a putt is missing the point. A gimme is a putt that can't be missed (with the caveat that in matchplay early round gimmes might be used as a psychological tactic). If you're asked to putt out what you believe is a gimme, then in your opinion it can't be missed so what's the problem?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
My view, if you want to get better, hole out. If you want to massage your ego, pick everything up.

From 4 feet pga tour only hole 8 out of 10... they even miss 5 percent from 3 feet and they are waaaay better than us...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our +5 hcap elite girl member takes the opposite approach to gimmes when she’s out for a friendly or practice knock. If she puts a shot to within 18” she’ll put the ball out to 5’ on the same line, as she has to hole these 5 footers ‘every‘ time when in a serious competitive environment.

I don‘t do that but when I have to hole a tiddler I take as much time over it, going through the same process, as if it were 3ft or 20ft.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone missing more 2-3’ putts than they think they should be…. try taking the putter back far shorter than you think you need to. Preferably on the practice green rather than a comp.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyone missing more 2-3’ putts than they think they should be…. try taking the putter back far shorter than you think you need to. Preferably on the practice green rather than a comp.

I know the name, just can't place the face.
Welcome back stranger