A question of procedure or not....

Deadlydan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Earlier this year, committee decided that a certain number of players had to enter a comp for it to be a sponsored comp, any less than this and it would revert to an ordinary comp. One particularly crappy day three of us went out late and we could see that it would not be a sponsored comp unless more came along, no names on timesheet and weather worsening. We went out and gave up after ten holes,only to find later that due to backlog of events caused by the bad weather that the result of this comp was going to be sponsored and worse, a golfer of year points comp!discretion was used to make this judgement call, no hint of impropriety but what I'm wondering is if discretion can be used like this....?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
sponsored comp, ordunary comp and golfer of the year points are not phrases that appear in either the Rules of Golf or the CONGU manual.....

so you are back to the club rules, the club competition rules etc - which will be fully documented and include details of any discretion available, to whom and when.

well they should be...

Deadlydan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Duncan
I will have to check that out.
Can the ladies make different club rules from ours or is it the same for all in a particular club?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, just a joke aimed at the ladies' well-known ability to do many things their own way.

The serious answer is that I suppose in a members' club, what the members agree is what happens. So if it is agreed, I expect that the ladies, or the juniors, or the seniors or any group within the club can have different competitions and different Conditions of Competition.