A game plan or just play each shot?

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
I always try to have a plan for my tee shots, either through experience on my home course or through a bit of investigation online if playing a new course as most golf clubs have their course guides and even pro tips on how to play holes available nowadays.

That is about as far as my planning goes, second shots etc are worked out dependant on the tee shot results and how I am hitting the ball that day.

I try not to set scoring targets pre round after I played in a region EGU comp which would have ended up at Woodhall Spa if in top 10. Got there on a nice sunny no wind day thinking that I'd need below par - 40 points (based on that + being about the norm for a win at my course) to qualify, pushed way to hard to try and claw a couple of 1 pointers back and ended up with 30 points, 32 qualified and 36 won it on the day. Now I just try to play and don't add up my total until the end of the round (not even at the 9 hole stage).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My plan is to remember i have a handicap. Therefore I'm not expected to be GIR every hole. So l plan to get a decent drive away, then be realistic with the second shot. Sometimes GIR is reasonably achievable but knowing when not to try is a skill (which is only half learned at present :) )

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me, if I wanted to score well, play the safe shot, why try to bomb a driver down the fairway, when you know a good 3 metal a slightly longer wedge/short iron would get the same result. Don't take on the risk/reward shots, lay up and guarantee yourself a shot onto the green.

It may be seen as boring golf, but there are no TV camera's out filming you, there's no one going to mock you for playing safe, go out and play a nice safe tidy round. While you fellow competitors are hacking it out the rough, you'll be safe on the fairway.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My plan is to remember i have a handicap. Therefore I'm not expected to be GIR every hole. So l plan to get a decent drive away, then be realistic with the second shot. Sometimes GIR is reasonably achievable but knowing when not to try is a skill (which is only half learned at present :) )

I had that plan only once that I meticulously and religiously stuck to for all 18 and that was at the Forest of Arden and it brought rewards. Never done it for a full round and been that set in my plan. On reflection you could argue that had I taken the shackles off and been more aggressive in places I could have nicked a win. Probably rightly so but hindsight is a great thing. These days like you I tend to look at the course online (if it's a new one) and form a plan and I'm trying to accept I have the shots (not that I want them in my overall goal) and that GIR isn't always achievable on a regular basis at my current level

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use elements of my 3 goals.

One method I have used in the past is hole length. Anything under 360 and I take a 3 wood off the tee, over I take a driver. It's probably more 330 now as I don't play that often and the drive goes quite well.

One thing about a game plan, if you make on then commit to it and don't go changing halfway through because you are playing better, it means it's working! Once you throw in doubt by changing plans then your game is sure to go too.

Also a game plan for a 28 handicapper will be something like my 3GM and a +2 might look to attack certain holes but play for par on others or select clubs to play under the wind...

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice words of wisdom. I went in to the two games with a strategy of knowing which holes I could score on, the risk holes etc and a target for points/position. But I played each hole with a game plan but took it shot by shot. 1st game finished 16th out of 32 so top 20 and points scored. 2nd game joint 7th out of 29. More points scored. So I am pretty sure now in the top 10 in the Order of Merit. Played okay but blobbed more holes than I wanted and on 2nd day didn't take advantage of my two key stroke index holes. But overall play was okay. A few careless mistakes probably cost me 7-10 points over the two days but found I was getting myself into more par and birdie opps which was good. My recovery and attitude to bad shots was also good. Was even putting for an eagle and chipped in from 30 yards off the green. So whilst I didn't get first goal - 2 top ten finishes, I got second goal 1 top ten and 1 top twenty. 3 more games to go - Nizels, Hever and Dale Hill. Thanks again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice words of wisdom. I went in to the two games with a strategy of knowing which holes I could score on, the risk holes etc and a target for points/position. But I played each hole with a game plan but took it shot by shot. 1st game finished 16th out of 32 so top 20 and points scored. 2nd game joint 7th out of 29. More points scored. So I am pretty sure now in the top 10 in the Order of Merit. Played okay but blobbed more holes than I wanted and on 2nd day didn't take advantage of my two key stroke index holes. But overall play was okay. A few careless mistakes probably cost me 7-10 points over the two days but found I was getting myself into more par and birdie opps which was good. My recovery and attitude to bad shots was also good. Was even putting for an eagle and chipped in from 30 yards off the green. So whilst I didn't get first goal - 2 top ten finishes, I got second goal 1 top ten and 1 top twenty. 3 more games to go - Nizels, Hever and Dale Hill. Thanks again.

Decent enough performances. Go out in the other three and take you plans with you and go lower. You know it's in there now. Cut out the silly mistakes (or limit the damage) and away you go

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just enjoy your two rounds of golf. Forget about any plan and just play golf.

Sums it up nicely.

Save the game plan for another time maybe.

Reflect on the golf when it's all done and sit back knowing you had fun out there