A full shot Vs a 50-60 yard pitch

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
theres very little difference between 100 and 120 yards for most. The difference between 10 and 50 yards is utterly massive to a lot of golfers.

If youre offering me 10 v 100 ill have the 10 every time (and get it up and down most times). If its 50 v 100 then personally ill take the 100 please, especially if theres trouble short or long (my strike and distance control way better from 100 than 50, mainly as i get too handsy to compensate for no rotation on the shorter shots)

I'm with you Steve...
I'll normally try to get as close as I can but only if that's up to about 30-35 yards
If I can't get closer than that I'll take about 90-100

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Would you rather hit to a distance where you can hit a full shot or hit as far as you can if that gives you a pitch where there is more judgement on distance control- be it a half shot, 3/4 etc?

I think the answer will be dependant on skill level.... Had a lesson previously and said basically strokes are gained the closer you are to the hole which makes sense but right now my distance control isn't great on judgement shots tho I do have a dilemma as I'm not sure where I actually do gain more shots but just feel more comfortable on the full shots.
I like playing half, and 3/4 shots with my wedges, sometimes good sometimes bad, like the challenge,

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I have recently changed my 50, 54 and 58 wedge set up and replaced them with 52 and 58 to try and simplify things and I have been working really hard hitting a lower pitch that checks and stops with my 9i, PW and 52 at arm 90 deg and club at 90 deg, might be ambitious for a 19 hcp but so far so good 52 90 deg arm is 55 yards. I have abandoned the full swing pitch because I found it too hit and miss, the only thing thats not working at the moment is the 58 club but thats more a mental thing not trusting myself to commit to the shot with this club

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
theres very little difference between 100 and 120 yards for most. The difference between 10 and 50 yards is utterly massive to a lot of golfers.

If youre offering me 10 v 100 ill have the 10 every time (and get it up and down most times). If its 50 v 100 then personally ill take the 100 please, especially if theres trouble short or long (my strike and distance control way better from 100 than 50, mainly as i get too handsy to compensate for no rotation on the shorter shots)

I know it's easier said than done, and the last thing I want to do is sound like I'm preaching, but have you tried trying to take your hands and arms out of it like Jason Day does?

I've been doing this for about a year now and it's so repeatable it's silly. A couple of different length swings and 3 wedges and I've got everything from 40-90 covered.

I know feel isn't real, but I just 'feel' like my arms do nothing and I'm hitting the ball with body rotation only.

[video=youtube_share;emgsSLvxvss]http://youtu.be/emgsSLvxvss[/video]

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know it's easier said than done, and the last thing I want to do is sound like I'm preaching, but have you tried trying to take your hands and arms out of it like Jason Day does?

I've been doing this for about a year now and it's so repeatable it's silly. A couple of different length swings and 3 wedges and I've got everything from 40-90 covered.

I know feel isn't real, but I just 'feel' like my arms do nothing and I'm hitting the ball with body rotation only.

[video=youtube_share;emgsSLvxvss]http://youtu.be/emgsSLvxvss[/video]

Waiting to see what rotation Ive got to play with when I get back playing again, but if not improved then I cant see how that becomes an option. Be nice if I have :)