A dilemma - Finding Fairway V Distance V Enjoying the game V Improving

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played for 60 years & like everyone else started with a high handicap. I never played this way & have never met anyone else who did. If the green is within reach, try to hit it. Getting a birdie, especially if you're a high handicapper is a delight. Playing short every time makes this impossible.

The OP could shave 7 shots off his handicap playing sensibly. 18 net pars is 43 points ? Proper golf, I'm sure he'll be gutted when he's trousering your cash:eek:
Any golfer has to ask themselves what they need to improve. For me it's making more putts imo. For the OP keeping it in play I would guess. That may be 4 iron, 7 iron, wedge...clean up and listen to your 'bandit' grumbles in the bar ;)

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
You said 18 net pars i.e. that would be 2 over gross on the two shotters!
whoops gross 18 bogies:eek: it's a while since I had more than 1 shot a hole. .....he's still taking your money.

Never played with any one with good course management.? Your course must be pitch & putt? How do you play a 450 yard par 4 ?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
whoops gross 18 bogies:eek: it's a while since I had more than 1 shot a hole. .....he's still taking your money.

Never played with any one with good course management.? Your course must be pitch & putt? How do you play a 450 yard par 4 ?

We've got a couple of these on my pitch & putt course. To answer the question Driver, 3 wood , then whatever is left. Yes, I could play 3 5 irons but I sometimes make par. Wouldn't do that playing conservatively.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
On rare occasions, but I do par them every now & than by getting as close as I can, hitting drive & 3 wood, then hitting a short one in.
Not proper golf according to your definition. I could hit them in 2, why not you ;)

I'm being a knob:) but my point is your definition of proper golf is personal but not applicable to anyone else. The OP rather than hitting driver or 3 wood should hit the longest club he can control IMO. He can win & get cut off 25 hitting. 200 yard 4 iron. He could probably win and get cut off 12 hitting a 200 yard 4 iron.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Several things here for my tuppence worth

Learn to hit the driver and/or three wood with lessons and practice. That way you'll get distance and hopefully play from the short grass more often and will certainly give you more options

In the meantime, stick to what you are doing as 11/14 is a good number and as you say playing off the fairway is easier than from the rough.

Learn where your mistakes are and improve game management. If you thought of every hole as a par 5 thats a gross 90. You'll shoot less on many par 3's and shorter par 4's and will give some back on the par 5's and longer par 4's. As long as you're level 5's as you go then you won't go far wrong

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Not proper golf according to your definition. I could hit them in 2, why not you ;)

I'm being a knob:) but my point is your definition of proper golf is personal but not applicable to anyone else. The OP rather than hitting driver or 3 wood should hit the longest club he can control IMO. He can win & get cut off 25 hitting. 200 yard 4 iron. He could probably win and get cut off 12 hitting a 200 yard 4 iron.

Don't be daft!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't be daft!

I don't agree with anyone not attempting to play the game properly. All right, your scores may suffer a bit in the short term but it will benefit you in the end. Practice with the driver & use it when the fairway is fairly wide. The most fun you can have in the game is whacking a driver long & straight - nothing more satisfying.

Practice what you preach ;) that 450 yard par 4 is only driver, 7 iron if you practice your driving ??

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last season I struggled with my driving and so played safe of the tee, as a result my handicap went up as I was struggling to hit many greens in regulation. This winter I have been working on my driver and feel I have got back to where I was a couple of years ago now I am now hitting more GIRs and even though my putting has been poor I a scoring better than I was last season.

The moral is work on your driving it is worth it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The idea of the game is to get the ball in th hole in as few shots as possible. The golfer has to decide the best way to do that - for his game.

Having said that, if anyone has aspirations to become quite good they should practice/lessons/whatever to be able to use at least a fairway wood off the tee, and preferably driver.

I have a mate who would be delighted to hit his driver as far as the OP's 4 iron, and he got down to single figures last year.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone. My ping crossover is a great club. Im very confident with it - tee or short grass. My longest 3 wood this season was 269 but I am no way as consistent as I should be, so there is nervousness on the tee with the wood in my hands. I appreciate all the comments. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet on my roll ups and just take the wood where I can, Not on every hole, play the course etc. Playing lessons sounds like the next plan. One way I can bring my score down is par 3s. Very weak. My putting average so far this season is 2.1 per hole so I can try and get that down. Whilst in the range yesterday I did try something with my arms at impact - a feeling and thought and I hit 5 in a row pretty good so I'll work on that as well. Yes I am a 25 handicapper but that is more about my game rather than my ability and swing. I want to bring it down this year. So will keep working hard to do this! Thanks. Nick

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting topic and once again, it surprises me that some people think there is only 'one best way for all' or 'one purpose/motivation for all'.

I play purely for the enjoyment of the game and never for scoring. I don't have once competitive bone in my body and winning means nothing to me. There are many ways to get enjoyment, for some it is winning. The dilemma you have is what YOU want to achieve and what is the best approach to reach that achievement. The best approach to even the same achievement is different for all.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Your stats are fairly good for the club you're using, but I'd deffo be spending some time down the range with the driver, 100%, as you've already worked out yourself, 200 yard shots into the green aren't going to help you score

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone. My ping crossover is a great club. Im very confident with it - tee or short grass. My longest 3 wood this season was 269 but I am no way as consistent as I should be, so there is nervousness on the tee with the wood in my hands. I appreciate all the comments. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet on my roll ups and just take the wood where I can, Not on every hole, play the course etc. Playing lessons sounds like the next plan. One way I can bring my score down is par 3s. Very weak. My putting average so far this season is 2.1 per hole so I can try and get that down. Whilst in the range yesterday I did try something with my arms at impact - a feeling and thought and I hit 5 in a row pretty good so I'll work on that as well. Yes I am a 25 handicapper but that is more about my game rather than my ability and swing. I want to bring it down this year. So will keep working hard to do this! Thanks. Nick

You say your longest 3 wood is 269, is that maybe your issue with the longer clubs, that your trying to hit them your sunday best instead of in a contoled manner? I mean 270 is close to tour pro numbers but if you dialed it back to a controled 3 wood then you might be in the fairway and closer to the hole, thus an easier approach.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You say your longest 3 wood is 269, is that maybe your issue with the longer clubs, that your trying to hit them your sunday best instead of in a contoled manner? I mean 270 is close to tour pro numbers but if you dialed it back to a controled 3 wood then you might be in the fairway and closer to the hole, thus an easier approach.

This is very true. I saw a rick shiels video on dialling back and that's what I'm trying to do. So not trying to lash the skin of the ball, but nice and controlled.