A dilemma - Finding Fairway V Distance V Enjoying the game V Improving

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I get playing it safe, I do when it is really needed however I would not give up 80-90 yards of distance over a period of time. In my opinion you would be better taking the driver out and accepting that you ain't goina drive it straight everyday, some days you will and I'd say you'd probably average out better with the driver if you solely want a lower handicap. I'm of the school of thought if I'm goina put it in the rough I'd rather be hitting out with a wedge rather than a 5 iron. I will though if playing a tight hole in competition sacrifice distance for placement, I would never hit 4 iron 4 iron to a hole if I could hit a drive and a pitch just does mot make sense to me, otherwise what's the point in having a driver?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Noting my last point, if the hole is tight I would maybe sacrifice going in with a 9 or 8 iron instead of a pitch, but your just not doing yourself justice hitting two long irons

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You say your longest 3 wood is 269, is that maybe your issue with the longer clubs, that your trying to hit them your sunday best instead of in a contoled manner? I mean 270 is close to tour pro numbers but if you dialed it back to a controled 3 wood then you might be in the fairway and closer to the hole, thus an easier approach.

Why is your par 3's so weak? you sound like you have enough distance to ping an iron at most of them.

Here is a good book which can help you think your way around the course better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-Scoring-Masters-Guide-Playing/dp/0684864029

Quite simply can't judge distance correctly or if get distancecright direction is off. Normally this means tough chip shots or bunkers. Just another learning curve but def an area to work. I'll check out the book thanks

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
You sound the same as me! I dropped the driver half way through last season. It was costing me far more shots than it was gaining me. Dropped to my ping hybrid which in the summer was getting me 220 yards, so not really that far behind the driver. A bad shot though wasn't as bad. Ended up qualifying for the season finale and coming second by a shot. Over the winter I've gone back to the driver and tried to get it firing again. Sometimes it is sometimes not, I've learnt though that it's fine to leave it in the bag quicker in the off days instead of persisting with it. We are the same hcp and birdies are amazing but really should be aiming for pars. Keep going with driver at the range and in bounce games. Then slowly introduce it when you feel confident.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like the idea that the OP is still working on his driver and I feel if he can get it working to a reasonable level, without trying to swing flat out and knock it miles, he'll gradually see results and it'll help hit more GIR's and so in theory give him a better chance of some cuts. Giving up so much distance does make it hard. However as I've said trying to play to level 5's is a good way of playing and will help course management