A bunker question

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm sure this has been asked before and I was only asked it today as the guys concerned earlier in the week hadn't got an answer as to whether they acted correctly

Playing foursomes (not that the format matters) the player teed off on a par 3 (18th) and hit into a greenside bunker that had a high front and , as it was the Captains charity bunker, a small sign was at the top of the bunker but inside it. The ball which normally would have dropped back down the face of the bunker was held at the top by the sign. There was no way that the could drop the ball for it to stay at the top face without the sign holding it and so they decided to pick up the ball , remove the sign and play the ball where it came to rest after a drop and it rolled down the face.

Did they act correctly?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did it match this description?

• A lip, wall or face at the edge of a prepared area and consisting of soil, grass, stacked turf or artificial materials,

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Did it match this description?

• A lip, wall or face at the edge of a prepared area and consisting of soil, grass, stacked turf or artificial materials,

A face but wholly consisting of compacted sand, and below the level of the grass top lip

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What was wrong was dropping the ball. There then would be a penalty for playing from a wrong place.

They should have marked the position of the ball, removed the sign and replaced the ball if it moved*

*If the ball again does not stay on that spot, the player must replace the ball by placing it on the nearest spot where the ball will stay at rest, but with these limits depending on where the original spot is located:

• The spot must not be nearer the hole.
  • Original Spot in General Area. The nearest spot must be in the general area.
  • Original Spot in Bunker or Penalty Area. The nearest spot must be either in the same bunker or in the same penalty area.
bullet points two and three are why clarification is need as to whether or it was still in the bunker.

There is no limit on how many times it is tried to find a a spot where the ball will stay at rest and it may well be at the bottom of the bunker.

Edited 20.12

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
images.jpeg.jpg

The ball was apparently held by the sign. This is just a photo I found and downloaded, the sign might have not been in exactly that position and the ball was wholly on the sandy area.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks guys - your answers were exactly what I told the player when he ran it by me today, but he didnt think my explanation was right so I said I'd check

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to clarify a point in post #6. It is would be good practice in this situation to mark your ball before removing the obstruction but it is not a requirement.