90% of my missed putts go right

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
That surely can't be normal?

I recently had a putter fitting with Sam Putting Lab and my statistics were quite good. My average putting per round is 34.7 which I consider quite good for my level of golf.

But almost all the putts I miss are going right of the hole.

danbaylis

Club Champion
Visit site
How long is your putting swing? I personally found my putting got a lot better after a putting lesson with my old pro. All he said was swing 2/3 back and swing 1/3 forward. I try to focus on keeping the putter head within my stance, I found it stopped me getting the putter head offline.

Cheers
Dan

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
How long is your putting swing? I personally found my putting got a lot better after a putting lesson with my old pro. All he said was swing 2/3 back and swing 1/3 forward. I try to focus on keeping the putter head within my stance, I found it stopped me getting the putter head offline.

Cheers
Dan

According to the pro my follow thru was too short so now I'm focusing on not cutting it short but I would imagine it's more than half the back swing.

It was worse before and it was due to looking at the hole before completing the swing.

danbaylis

Club Champion
Visit site
I know what you mean, I use to "quit" on my putting, I just focus on following thru (excuse the pun). It has helped me massively. The other thing I do on putting is on short putts, I make my swing shorter, again to make sure I don't go offline. I use to over-swing massively which meant I was never on a flat/square swing plane.

Also have you checked the lenght of your putter too? I had my one cut down from 35" to 33.75", it really helped me get over the ball and kept the putter on the floor and not toe up. The other tip I was told about putting was focusing on keeping the triangle.

Golf is a nightmare, people tell you not to overthink but then they say make sure you do x,y,z. Putting is about feel in my opinion and practice makes perfect.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's fitted, yes? Therefore you can forget changing it, unless they were totally incompetent and sold you the wrong type of putter.

When I had my fitting, we (the pro really :eek:) discovered that left to my own devices, I'd hit every putt left. Lined up straight to me *looks like* I'm going to hit it right.

It still feels the same 2 years down the line. Sadly. :( :(

It's no surprise to me, even with all this knowledge, the ones I miss (and they can be under 5') are because I think I'm aiming right and close the face to steer the ball.

Maybe you have the same problem in reverse?

Only a thought..... :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe you have the same problem in reverse?

You mean he hits it backwards? :D

Sounds like you need a V-Easy

What a great idea :)

I would imagine it's more than half the back swing.

Do you mean your followthrough is shorter than your backswing?

As far as missing it right....it may be you need to change the way you grip it or your arms are swinging away from your body through the swing
Hard to tell without seeing you putt

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Experiment by standing open to your putts, I started doing this and my putting is a hell of a lot better at the moment. When I stand square (like text book) I push and pull putts more.

Worth a try.

if everything else is ok then sounds simply like ball position, the ball should be slightly left of centre at address, your putter will be at centre- try that and report back