Vanity set of go!f clubs / bag

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Have been thinking for a while about putting together a 2nd Hand set of clubs for a spare bag filled with clubs that I wouldn't usually dream of p!aying with

Blared irons / low degree stiff shaft driver with the intention being taking them.out for an occasional nine ho!es just to see how good or bad i'd be with a ' proper' set compared to my cavity backs / rescue clubs and mallet putter!I

There's also a little bit of vanity having them as my 2nd set and would probably make my main set feel easier to hit as wel!!

Anyone else done similar?

GBC

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm half with you..

Currently on the market for a Nike blade putter, more for collection purposes really but fancy having one.

I then may move to a set of Nike irons Forged something or other - just for the odd use and that's about it :ROFLMAO:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have been thinking for a while about putting together a 2nd Hand set of clubs for a spare bag filled with clubs that I wouldn't usually dream of p!aying with

Blared irons / low degree stiff shaft driver with the intention being taking them.out for an occasional nine ho!es just to see how good or bad i'd be with a ' proper' set compared to my cavity backs / rescue clubs and mallet putter!I

There's also a little bit of vanity having them as my 2nd set and would probably make my main set feel easier to hit as wel!!

Anyone else done similar?

GBC

do it. You'll soon learn blades are not as hard to hit as people make out. Might make you a better ball striker, and you can reconnect with playing the game rather than potentially focussing on score.

RichA

Visit site
I've owned Ping G425 irons, but not any more.
I still own a set of 20-year old Mizuno forged CBs and a half set of 40-year old very bladey Mizuno Pro irons.
The Pings went further but gave me no pleasure. The Mizunos are all nicer to use and don't perform especially differently to my P790s. Maybe if I thin a P790 it hurts a bit less when it's cold and goes a little bit further.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
What a great idea!

I've have several.

Bought for £10.50
Confidence woods 1,3,4 and Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blade irons 3-SW

And these that were £10, but they came in a Mizuno bag that I put back on Ebay and got £17 after fees and postage.

Not bad overall spend of £3.50 for two lurrvely sets of clubs. And no new grips were required.

You really need to find the sweet spot with your shots and that makes them excellent "training clubs" and extremely pleasurable and enjoyable to play with.

(OK, I admit I'm bragging about my best ever bargains here, but Vintage Golf is really a very cheap hobby.)

I realise you are thinking about getting very modern clubs that a very low handicapper might use.
But the two sets above were pretty much just that when they were new and quite definitely a lot more expensive than average clubs in their day.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
As @Voyager EMH says, no need to spend loads to acquire some blades if you buy older clubs from back when all clubs were blades.

Back then everyone played blades, from the best golfer to the worst. They're not as difficult to use as the golf industry has delighted in telling us for the last 30 years or more, or perhaps a better way of describing would be to say that GI clubs don't give the huge advantage that the golf industry has invested millions in telling us they do.

Like Voyager, I've picked up numerous sets of gorgeous clubs for prices so low I'm embarrassed to pay them, but nobody else was interested so my bid won.

HPIMG

Visit site
Haven’t went a full set but have a old 6 iron mizuno blade that I have in the bag feels lovely to hit and always hit it a few times with my mizuno pro 225 6 iron and I honestly don’t think it’s any harder to hit. Might try and have a look at adding the others to see how a full set would perform.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Was in EXACTLY the same boat last year.

I bought a set of early 90s Wilson Staff blades last year for the same reasons you've described. I absolutely love them and they were in the bag quite a bit throughout the season.

Also bought a titliest 905D 8 degree driver, matching 3wood and a ping anser putter, along with a canvas pencil bag to put them all in.

Tbf the driver and 3wood rarely get out but the irons and putter get played quite regularly!

I'm an 11 handicapper and ballstriking has never been my strong point but I found the blades surprisingly easy to hit and I liked the fact that they were so small it was almost like i HAD to hit them well. They felt amazing!

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Was in EXACTLY the same boat last year.

I bought a set of early 90s Wilson Staff blades last year for the same reasons you've described. I absolutely love them and they were in the bag quite a bit throughout the season.

Also bought a titliest 905D 8 degree driver, matching 3wood and a ping anser putter, along with a canvas pencil bag to put them all in.

Tbf the driver and 3wood rarely get out but the irons and putter get played quite regularly!

I'm an 11 handicapper and ballstriking has never been my strong point but I found the blades surprisingly easy to hit and I liked the fact that they were so small it was almost like i HAD to hit them well. They felt amazing!
exactly what I'm looking to do ! 👍

evemccc

Visit site
It's like a 2nd car for sunny days (that I don't own) hence it all being 2nd hand - but yes total folly
Not at all folly (if that’s what you choose to spend your money on) I see some value in it

We often buy things based on other factors than just ‘performance or functionality’ - in fact most people’s choice of clothes and cars are based on relatively trivial things > simple functionality

There is an aesthetic value to a nice looking golf bag and nice clubs

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Not at all folly (if that’s what you choose to spend your money on) I see some value in it

We often buy things based on other factors than just ‘performance or functionality’ - in fact most people’s choice of clothes and cars are based on relatively trivial things > simple functionality

There is an aesthetic value to a nice looking golf bag and nice clubs
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

PGA01.JPG
backs.jpg
orvis1.JPG