80GB PS3...?

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was in HMV the other day & I noticed the PS3 can playb blue ray disks & it has an 80GB hard drive.. So if it plays Blue ray DVD's will the Hard drive record my sky programs, so I don't need to buy a seperate DVD recorder or Hard disk recorder... Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
But wait just 5 more minutes and PS4 will be developed just for all those people who bought a seperate DVD :D :p

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It like the PS2 will play DVD's, well the PS3 will play Blue ray discs too. But thought with the 80GB of storage, that perhaps it could be used for recording. seeing as PS3's can be used for surfing the net too & other things apart from actually playing games.

The system is one step closser to a piece of kit that does everything electronic in the home in one box... Hi-fi, DVD player, web device, games console... etc...

If it could also record, I'd be tempted to part with the high cost nearly 300 quid the machines are.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got one for the young lad this Christmas, I'm going to fire it up tomorrow when he's at school. (just to make sure it's in working order you understand)
Looking forward to see what Call Of Duty looks like.

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I updated my ps3 myself and took out the original HDD and replaced it with a 250gb sata HDD. This now means that I can record TV programs using Play Tv, now I can save all the Heroes episodes :)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It like the PS2 will play DVD's, well the PS3 will play Blue ray discs too.

True. But what you have got to realise is that the PS2 was a games machine that happened to play DVD's.....badly.
The PS3 is a Blu-ray player than happens to play games....brilliantly!
DVD's come alive on the PS3, I have owned quite a few DVD players over the years including HDMI equipped "upscaling" models but none of them came close to the results you get from a PS3. It's superb.
I'm lucky enough to also have an X-box 360 and if I fancy playing a game I will use this. If ever I buy a new game I will also buy the 360 version. I cannot see any difference whatsoever in the graphics quality between the two consoles to be honest. The online experience on the 360 is way ahead of Sonys by the way.
But if I want to watch a film the PS3 is fired up.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
cheers Smiffy. Now I def' want a PS3, even though I've in the meantime gone out & gotten myself a DVD/HDD recorder. My only critisism of the Samsung I Bought is that the discplayer/recorder is a lot noisyer than my now very long in the tooth LG, that must have served well in the last decade. Infact playing discs on the old LG you would barely know it was running. Just hope the Samsung quietens down in use.

But looks as if a PS3 is going tobeon the shopping list in the months to come,if we ever start to get some more overtime at work.