7iron club speed

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Statistics are like mini-skirts.

How often are pros OOB? How often are they an inch off the fairway and therefore "missed""?
Those are different questions. That fairways hit doesnt var6 vary much according to skill or distance is still true, which was the discussion.

Sure, the hackers miss of a drive topped 50 yards into the rough doesnt have the same impact as a 300 yd drive faded a yard of the fairway. But overall it does guide that going shorter, with the bet on more accuracy, and thus better scores, doesnt hold true. About 55 hits is the mean. If it were otherwise, pros would tail back their distance from 320 to 240 and increase their % fairways. But they dont, because they would lose more than they would gain from it.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Those are different questions. That fairways hit doesnt var6 vary much according to skill or distance is still true, which was the discussion.

Sure, the hackers miss of a drive topped 50 yards into the rough doesnt have the same impact as a 300 yd drive faded a yard of the fairway. But overall it does guide that going shorter, with the bet on more accuracy, and thus better scores, doesnt hold true. About 55 hits is the mean. If it were otherwise, pros would tail back their distance from 320 to 240 and increase their % fairways. But they dont, because they would lose more than they would gain from it.
It's not a different question, there's no stat for *how far* you miss fairways.

But your point was different, you're saying long and wild is better than straight, in relation to a 7 iron that the OP is trying to make longer. No it isn't, middle of the green is putting, off in the rough or a bunker is not putting. I believe there's also a stat for that, GIR isn't it?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It's not a different question, there's no stat for *how far* you miss fairways.

But your point was different, you're saying long and wild is better than straight, in relation to a 7 iron that the OP is trying to make longer. No it isn't, middle of the green is putting, off in the rough or a bunker is not putting. I believe there's also a stat for that, GIR isn't it?
I was following on from Bobmac's specific point about driving distance.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Accuracy v distance in my opinion depends on how bad the accuracy is and how much longer you are.

I have always maintained that a wedge for from the long grass is an easier shot than a 7 iron from the fairway but a 7 iron from the fairway is the better option than a pitch out sideways from the trees.

If you can drive the ball 300 yards it is very easy to club down if you can only drive 250 yards it is impossible to club up (as I am learning in my older years).

JGolfer

Visit site
That’s really fast, is that your average or your Sunday best? What carry does that give you?

That is my average on course and during my lessons (trackman). Any faster and I lose my strike, but that’s due to a tendency to rush my transition. Results in around 165 carry. Slightly in to out, 4-5 down.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing golf is like being married and having two or three mistresses as well:

Don’t neglect your short game, don’t neglect your putting, constantly work on your swing fundamentals and centreness of strike, and chase distance on top of all that if you want!

It’s a nightmare trying to keep track of where to focus your efforts and energy ??
I think of it more like spinning plates. While you focus on keeping the driver plate spinning, and then the putting plate spinning, the bloody short game plate falls off and smashes. And vice versa.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
7 iron average swing speed 91 mph (across 15 shots) on my last trackman report from 6 months ago.

It's probably no coincidence that as I've gotten older (now in my 40's) and swing speed is getting slower, my handicap has come down. It's an infuriating game.

Jason.H

Visit site
That is my average on course and during my lessons (trackman). Any faster and I lose my strike, but that’s due to a tendency to rush my transition. Results in around 165 carry. Slightly in to out, 4-5 down.

So today I managed to gain club speed and that will be down to wearing my golf shoes on the range this time. Around 75/77. Like you say any faster I lose strike too. I’ve noticed my ball flight has change with a bit more speed it just hangs up there a touch longer with the extra spin.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
On the range last night hitting balls with a 7 iron. Looking to ingrain more speed over the winter. I managed to hit 80 mph club speed but that feels ridiculously fast and not controllable. PGA tour is at 90mph average.
75 for me seems about the limit and gave average of 155 carry.

https://blogtrackmangolf.mwpsites-a.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/pgatourstats.png
What if you tried one inch longer shaft? Would that not increase clubhead speed and add distance to the shot?

Jason.H

Visit site
What if you tried one inch longer shaft? Would that not increase clubhead speed and add distance to the shot?

Good thought though I’m going to try over winter to gain without equipment changes. Maybe shaft extensions next time I change grips? Anyone used those for like half inch extra?

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I have several sets of irons. Looking at the 7 iron in each set, the ones with longer shafts and stronger lofts do tend to produce more distance to the shots.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Speed rating for steel shafts

70 - known as active or senior flex
80 - regular
90 - Stiff
95plus - extra stiff

To gain speed the advice used to be swing the softest flex with which you still retain control of direction

In the UK and using cold range balls in cold weather 155 carry is a very good distance.

I’ve a question if you don’t mind. I use a regular shaft but if I find a stiff shaft that suits my swing are you saying I’d be faster?

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I think it is supposed to work the other way round. The faster your swing is, the stiffer your shaft needs to be.
I've never been too sure about that though.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's not how fast you swing it ....It's how you swing it fast..
You can have 2 identical swing speeds but one requires regular and the other requires stiff purely by the way they swing it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve a question if you don’t mind. I use a regular shaft but if I find a stiff shaft that suits my swing are you saying I’d be faster?

What I am is that in saying is know your swing speed and use a shaft to suit (not always that simple because it also depends on how you load the shaft. In my last full fit for irons the pro was still saying I need a heavier shaft and possibly S Flex despite a lower than 80mph swing speed).