7iron club speed

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let’s say your 7 iron speed is 85mph
You increase it to 87 mph
What yardage have you gained,I would argue 5yards?
What in the grand scheme of it have you actually gained.
Would that then equate to driver where 2mph would be a bit more.

Jason.H

Visit site
Well 1st time on the range with this in mind I was around 70mph average and managed one at 80. Today I averaged 79mph with the 7 iron so that’s already a fair gain in just over a week.

Jason.H

Visit site
So you're going to spend all that time to try and gain a bit of distance and neglect your short game?
I've never met anyone who thinks their short game doesn't need improving.
Do what you want, have fun but don't neglect your short game.

I won’t neglect my short game. In my 1st year back playing golf I’ve had a -2 68 gross and joined our scratch team. At the age of 51 I want to see how good I can get.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
For those who are using Top Tracer or a similar system at a range that only gives ball speed & not swing speed.
Apparently if you divide the ball speed by 1.5 that equates to your swing speed?
So I'm informed?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
For those who are using Top Tracer or a similar system at a range that only gives ball speed & not swing speed.
Apparently if you divide the ball speed by 1.5 that equates to your swing speed?
So I'm informed?

With a driver perhaps.

With a 7iron because of the loft its more of a glancing blow, so smash factor is less if that makes sense?

From Ping:
"So, the higher the Smash Factor, the more ball speed you are getting for a given clubhead speed. Launch monitors give values that typically range from 1.3 to 1.4 with a 7-iron, and 1.44 to 1.52 for drivers, depending on the model, head weight and launch monitor in use."

I used this method (ball speed of about 110mph) and my 7iron swing speed comes out about 82 mph. Which gets me between 145 and 160 carry typically on a TT range with a decent strike.

Last edited:

Jason.H

Visit site
I’ve gained over 10% club head speed so far in 5 weeks. The last 2 range sessions I couldn’t get near my best. I think I’ve got to rest/ recover better. Still baffles me how I can’t reach the swing speed of Colin Montgomery ??
I’m fit as a fiddle and he’s not.
Must be more things in the sequencing to improve upon.

evemccc

Visit site
I’ve gained over 10% club head speed so far in 5 weeks. The last 2 range sessions I couldn’t get near my best. I think I’ve got to rest/ recover better. Still baffles me how I can’t reach the swing speed of Colin Montgomery ??
I’m fit as a fiddle and he’s not.
Must be more things in the sequencing to improve upon.

I heard that the role of ground-force / using the ground is key to swinging fast - but what do I know ?‍♂️

Jason.H

Visit site
I heard that the role of ground-force / using the ground is key to swinging fast - but what do I know ?‍♂️
Yes I’m looking into this ”using the ground”. I feel I’m maxed out with how I’ve been swinging the club. Perfect timing working on this on the range as the course has been shut a fair bit of late.