7i Carry - Fretting

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's just one club - could have been any of my short-mid irons. I just can't hit my 7i the distances I hear and see (on YouTube) others hit it.

No matter how well I think I have struck it I am doing well to get more than say 155yds - when 170-175yds seems the norm.

Now I play clubs which are as near as a spit will take me to blades. I really don;t want the clubs to be the root of my distance issue - I have always eschewed technology for getting distance more distance and consistency - my mantra has been - improve my swing.

But can it be that even when I think I am hitting a 7i well - I might well be mistiming it sufficient to lose 15-20yds?

I have no idea what my swing speed or club head speed are - but they can't be that bad...it's not as if I'm dinking the ball around the golf course.

D

Deleted member 1147

Your 7i distance seems pretty normal to me.
170-175 is v high for amateur golfers.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I only hit mine 150 yards, but at least I know it’s a pretty consistent distance for me.
I’d certainly not worry about it.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
These types of threads become a joke - not you OP just what people start to believe when reading posts on the net.

PEOPLE EXAGGERATE THEIR DISTANCES

I am one of the longer hitters in my group of 12 and a well hit 7 iron is 150. An average of all 7 irons - more like 140'sh. I play with people who hit it 120'ish.

Yes younger/more skilled players (small minority of golfers) can get 170'ish etc but you can bet your life they are a tiny minority of all golfers.

150'ish is plenty long for the courses we play and stop believing what you read :)

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At my fitting for the Ping G700s my 7i carry was 117 yards with my Clevelands and 127 with the Pings. The ones made up for me have stronger lofts and in the current warm conditions can carry 140 yards, but that’s only if I middle it. Therefore, nothing to worry about if you can get 155 yards.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seems normal to me.
My 7i carry is around 135 yds
Obviously weather etc plays a huge part so that could be more or less.
I think realistically about 5% of amateur golfers would carry a 7i 170 yards. The rest who say they do are just deluded.

D

Deleted member 18588

155 carry or total?

In current conditions the only figure that has any relevance is carry.

Run at the moment resulted, last week, in me seeing a 6 iron go 210 yards.

I am now nearing 70 and somehow I don't think that is likely to be the norm.

A 7 iron would be my club of choice for 140 yards these days in "normal" conditions.

Jon_T

Medal Winner
Visit site
Distance is obviously based on speed and strike. The guys you see on YouTube are most likely pros with 7i swing speeds around 92mph where your 7i swing speed is going to be around 82mph with a 155 carry. 155 carry is around average I'd say maybe slightly above.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My personal rule is to not try any water carry over 130 yards. Usually its better to lay up.

Bunker wise I will push that to about 150 but I doubt anything I can carry further can be controlled to the level I need it.

I wouldnt worry about carry and focus more on knowing distances and using those to plot aroud the course.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My personal rule is to not try any water carry over 130 yards
You must hands down be the most conservative 12 handicapper I've ever come across. I reckon I'd have just as much chance of knobbing one into the water with a LW or SW having laid up as I would going for it with say 7i - PW :confused:

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
If my watch says 140 yds I will go for my 7 iron, obviously going a bit further in these conditions but still think 140.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In current conditions the only figure that has any relevance is carry.

Run at the moment resulted, last week, in me seeing a 6 iron go 210 yards.

I am now nearing 70 and somehow I don't think that is likely to be the norm.

A 7 iron would be my club of choice for 140 yards these days in "normal" conditions.

Depends. For me if I'm hitting a green (on some courses) even at the moment the ball is stopping (lots of greens are very heavily watered atm). If I'm hitting the fairway then of course there's huge run and it could run out any distance really

If O/P is carrying 155 I'd say that's better than most. If it's 155 total in these conditions then maybe something's wrong (depending)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You must hands down be the most conservative 12 handicapper I've ever come across. I reckon I'd have just as much chance of knobbing one into the water with a LW or SW having laid up as I would going for it with say 7i - PW :confused:

You are not far wrong my friend.

A typical par 5 for me can be three iron shots and a pitch/chip. I look for short par putts and if I miss I get bogey. Served me well this year as despite barely playing I have won 4/5 matches off 12 giving away shots to regular golfers.

My game plan, the three goals method, describes it well. I have made a recent edition to take long distances like 200-240 and play as two 100 yard shots or two 120 yard shots. Working well so far as people compliment me on how well I stay out of trouble!