7i Carry - Fretting

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How far are you hitting your driver? I have a swingspeed with the driver of just under 100, carry a well hit driver 225-230 and hit a traditionally lofted 7i around 150

My normal driving distance is about 250-260yds level and without wind - and not in drought conditions. I don't know my driving carry. I look to carry a 5i about 170-175 yds.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I was 22 handicap and a sprightly 25 year old I hit my 6 iron (equivalent to 7 iron today ) around 180 carry when I became a single figure player in my early 40s I hit my 7 iron 140. These days it's around 130.

Good scores are not about how but about how many.

Do you follow the teachings of Yoda :D? You have learnt well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There are certainly some club heads out there thst will deliver 10% difference between the sweet spot and an off centre strike.

Why you would play with them is another question.....

My John Letters F-7 irons were the first JL irons that Sports Direct brought to the market (early 2007) after they resurrected the brand. They were limited edition of 200 sets - forged irons - 3-PW - for £299...so I bought them :)

They may not be blades - but they aren't very big to look at :)

F7.jpg

Last edited:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone wondering why this lot believe that 145 yards with a 7 iron is cool should do a youtube search of a Golf Monthly forum day and you will see why they think anyone in golf is a liar if they hit the ball a decent way.

90% on here like to talk crap about golf like they are the authority while drinking beer and eating pork scratchings rather than improve and hit the ball further than a woman :D

If your under 50 and hit the ball 145 yards with a standard loft 7 iron then you need to have a long think why... Your also the folk who said I was finished :rofl:

You would fit in well with WRX forum....give it a look

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn’t worry too much about how far you hit your 7 iron.Play your own game use what works for you as an example,if you hit a 6 iron on a certain par 3 and everyone else uses a 7 iron they boggy it regular but you par it or better it wouldn’t really matter play the game don’t let the game play you .

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wouldn’t worry too much about how far you hit your 7 iron.Play your own game use what works for you as an example,if you hit a 6 iron on a certain par 3 and everyone else uses a 7 iron they boggy it regular but you par it or better it wouldn’t really matter play the game don’t let the game play you .

👍
Or just do what one of my PPs does and say you hit a soft 7i rather than a flat out 6i* 😃

* be sure to cover the clubhead with your hand though when returning it back to your bag ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
👍
Or just do what one of my PPs does and say you hit a soft 7i rather than a flat out 6i* 😃

* be sure to cover the clubhead with your hand though when returning it back to your bag ;)

Sometimes I'll stand on the tee of one of our par3s - it'll be measuring something like 180yds - and I'll just fancy hitting a little high soft fadey 3 hybrid - so I'll tell my PPs that I'm just going to feather in my 3 hybrid.

I don't really know what I 'm talking about but I know what I want my body to do...:)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
7 iron's about 150-155yds for me. A bit of a lash might see it around 160 but it could just as easily go 140. Sometimes I might see it as a 6 iron, and it will go the 150yds. I've never understood why that happens but I just hit what I'm comfortable with on the day.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sometimes I'll stand on the tee of one of our par3s - it'll be measuring something like 180yds - and I'll just fancy hitting a little high soft fadey 3 hybrid - so I'll tell my PPs that I'm just going to feather in my 3 hybrid.

I don't really know what I 'm talking about but I know what I want my body to do...:)

why not do what i do, say you hit a 8 iron when in fact it was a 6:rofl::rofl::rofl:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
155 is not average for an average handicap golfer it is ABOVE average. The distances tracked over the years give a 133.48 for the average male golfer.

s

Ohhh I feel like a monster hitter now with my 7iron carry being 135....thank you for massaging my ego. :)

MarkR_89

Visit site
With the way golf clubs are being made these days 7 i can certainly see the range of distances that people hit them being huge - especially those 5iron lofted ones ;)
Like many of the previous people have said, play your game, I'm sure if you're a little "shorter" than others if you're a lot more accurate that's really all that matters. If you offered me to be half the distance to the hole with every club for 10 yards taken off I'd take it in a heartbeat! Working on strike and how you compress the ball will bring up those distances if that is something you really want to gain. That or buy one of those 5 iron lofted ones with no spin ^^

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know what my average is and whether that's long or short (definitely short in forum terms) I'll base my club selection on how far I have left, how far I have to carry it onto the green (flag at the back etc), where the trouble is and the conditions. If that means I have to club up to a six iron I'll do so. I make sure I have enough club on every shot and try and swing smoothly so everything stays connected

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My John Letters F-7 irons were the first JL irons that Sports Direct brought to the market (early 2007) after they resurrected the brand. They were limited edition of 200 sets - forged irons - 3-PW - for £299...so I bought them :)

They may not be blades - but they aren't very big to look at :)

View attachment 25285

A long way from a blade! Remarkably similar to my R9TPs all round 🤔

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've been playing golf for nigh on 30 years. 150 yards has always been a 7 iron for me, even when I first started. Admittedly for the last few years I have been coming up 10 yards short, but I put that down to playing everything into the wind these days.......:mad:

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds reasonable to me. Mine carry distance is 155 ish. If I got 180 yards into a hole I’m thinking about a 5 iron!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A long way from a blade! Remarkably similar to my R9TPs all round 🤔

OK ... but my point remains. I was only fretting about distance as an indication of the quality of my strike. I think I am hitting the ball well (enough) but was forming the impression that a well struck 7i would find my ball 170yds away. If that were indeed the case then by deduction I couldn't be hitting the ball as well as I was thinking - so work to be done.

But as my distance is consistent with what most others are saying, then I am happy that my strike is good enough and so does not require much working on (it will always benefit from some work)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OK ... but my point remains. I was only fretting about distance as an indication of the quality of my strike. I think I am hitting the ball well (enough) but was forming the impression that a well struck 7i would find my ball 170yds away. If that were indeed the case then by deduction I couldn't be hitting the ball as well as I was thinking - so work to be done.

But as my distance is consistent with what most others are saying, then I am happy that my strike is good enough and so does not require much working on (it will always benefit from some work)

Impossible to say without knowing swing speed!