7i Carry - Fretting

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Loft of 7 iron? The number on the bottom means nought.
My 34 degree club goes 148 for me carry. Which is what is expected of me. My coach also agrees I wouldn’t get more unless I swing out my shoes or go to the gym.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fwiw 144 is my working carry with a 7 iron.

It doesn't matter what the loft is to me (I have 5 sets with completely different charteristics, shafts and lofts and they all carry similar) but that's another, frequently aired, discussion.

One particular ball gives me a few more yards with the irons I'm currently using (havent tried it with the others) due to higher spin rates and ball speed :thup: but being tight I've decided not to spend out and buy them 😎 but that decision may change with a return to normal weather!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Surely the question should be how far do you hit your 6 and 8 irons.?

If your 7 iron is in between the two , then that is how it should be and there is no problem. All is well.
If however you hit your 7 as far as your 6 or 8, then a loft/lie/gapping check may be needed

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Surely the question should be how far do you hit your 6 and 8 irons.?

If your 7 iron is in between the two , then that is how it should be and there is no problem. All is well.
If however you hit your 7 as far as your 6 or 8, then a loft/lie/gapping check may be needed

Read the first paragraph of the OP's post.

D

Deleted member 18121

My 7i is 165-170 carry.... But I don't get hung up on how far things go because of jacked lofts between manufacturers. Also, as long as you know how far you hit a club... Who gives a stuff what number is on the sole.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My personal rule is to not try any water carry over 130 yards. Usually its better to lay up.

Bunker wise I will push that to about 150 but I doubt anything I can carry further can be controlled to the level I need it.

I wouldnt worry about carry and focus more on knowing distances and using those to plot aroud the course.

Fair play my man, whatever works hey 👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
170 might be average distance for a 7 iron NOW with the fairways bone dry and rock hard! But my normal 7 iron distance is around 155 and I was given to understand that was about the average for a handicap golfer.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I usually hit a 7 iron onto are 180 yard par 3 which is all carry, but how far you hit a ball doesn’t make a massive difference to how you score

i am still a 13 handicapper, I just happen to be 6’4 and have clubs an inch longer

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
170 might be average distance for a 7 iron NOW with the fairways bone dry and rock hard! But my normal 7 iron distance is around 155 and I was given to understand that was about the average for a handicap golfer.

155 is not average for an average handicap golfer it is ABOVE average. The distances tracked over the years give a 133.48 for the average male golfer.

Oh my goodness to see people hear be disappointed they are hitting it 150. Good to see a few posters admit to real world distances

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
That's one of the downsides of watching YouTube vids.

I watched on of Harry Flowers course vlogs yesterday and for the first time he had a woman playing with him. And not only did she tee it up off the whites with the guys, she also kept up with their distances. On one of the par 3s which was something like 135 yards over water, I thought to myself "oh hm, yeah, maybe I could get there with my hybrid ..." when she declared "I'll hit my pitching wedge and take a little bit off ..." :eek:

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
155 is not average for an average handicap golfer it is ABOVE average. The distances tracked over the years give a 133.48 for the average male golfer.

Oh my goodness to see people hear be disappointed they are hitting it 150. Good to see a few posters admit to real world distances

That's reassuring. My 7i, with an easy comfortable swing is about 130 carry. I had always thought I was a short hitter, though perhaps not particularly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I was talking total distance though, not carry.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
145 in standard summer conditions for me. Though if I had to carry water, I would definitely not feel comfy with more than 140...

That's with a 33 deg playa's CB club.

When I was testing various irons before buying these I remember hitting a Callaway 7 iron (not a super crazy one either) and it went 175 carry with 2000rpm less spin. So basically a five iron... Imagine the bragging rights tho...

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you're hitting 'almost blades' 155 carry then you'd be hitting todays GI irons 170.
My 2005 GI 7i was carrying ~150, 155 on a really good hit. I was getting 168 average carry with AP1 and G400.
The AP3 dropped that off to ~163.
Distance doesn't mean anything, as this thread proves. It only means it goes even further into the trees!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you're hitting 'almost blades' 155 carry then you'd be hitting todays GI irons 170.
My 2005 GI 7i was carrying ~150, 155 on a really good hit. I was getting 168 average carry with AP1 and G400.
The AP3 dropped that off to ~163.
Distance doesn't mean anything, as this thread proves. It only means it goes even further into the trees!

yeah i have blades and i carry a 7 about 155/160 ish... with current conditions its going another 50 yards of roll, so thanks to this i'm finally able to say i reach forum average at 200 yards:rofl::rofl: