7i Carry - Fretting

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Distance is obviously based on speed and strike. The guys you see on YouTube are most likely pros with 7i swing speeds around 92mph where your 7i swing speed is going to be around 82mph with a 155 carry. 155 carry is around average I'd say maybe slightly above.

You are correct - I'm thinking that most of them are pros testing clubs. But what is the point telling us that they get that sort of distance if they don't caveat it and tell us what we should expect - ah - they are pros - and they are most probably tied to - or an outlet for - a manufacturer

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Distances intrigue me, I always assumed 150/155 was fairly average for men.

Interesting that I find that until recently I've found the 120 and under harder shots as I can't use a full swing, where as presumably that gap is a little bit smaller for the shorter hitters so may help with the 100 yards and in. Well that's my theory why I'm not so good at it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
OK - so nothing to fret about. Note that I was not that worried as such as I am pretty consistent...

It's not actually distance I have been fretting a bit about - it has been whether or not I am striking the ball as well as I think I am.

I think I am hitting it well, and with my clubs I can tell when I 'middle' it.

But if you were to tell me that if I am hitting it well with a good clubhead speed etc I perhaps should be getting 165-170yds then I could work on improving my strike.

The alternative would be investing in a new (perhaps a bit more forgiving) set of clubs because - as said - mine are 10yrs old and essentially blades - and I am seriously thinking about spending a bit of money on the new Ping i210s.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t worry or care how far mine go in relation to others. As long as my distances are consistent with each club that’s all I care about.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I only know I hit my 7 iron 150-155 because that’s the figure I had back via track man in my iron fitting I’m not the longest hitter but neither am I short any 150 yard call to the green and the 7 iron gets me there .One of friends plays GI irons and this would be a 8 iron with them because the loft of his 8 iron is the same as my 7 iron so depends what irons you use too .

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
This is when I think that practice might be an option for me but I really cannot be bothered. I hit it a long way but it's not always straight.

I will quite happily go in from 185 - 200 yards with a 7 Iron. Being tall definitely helps.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
One thing to bear in mind is that most pros deliver about 6 degrees less loft than the club has at impact. So a 7 iron is being delivered with a 5 iron's loft. Couple that with their swing speed and you see why they can hit a 7 iron nearly 200 yds. For us mortals, hitting them consistently the same distance is a bigger deal. If you can hit your 7, 155 yds 9 times out of 10, that's a great asset.

If you do want to find a bit of extra distance, get a a trackman session. You will find out swing speed and delivered loft at impact, path etc. You may be at the max for your swing speed, on the other hand there may be room for improvement (I found it very useful when I did one, recently).

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're carrying it 155 then that's a lot further than most. My carry is 155-160 but I hit it low so I am usually a club or so longer than most (due to delofting which causes me issues when I get up to say 4i).

I'm a bit confused as to what problems you think you have as a 155 carry is plenty (especially with near blades), assuming the gappings are correct through your bag.

Don't get caught up by it, afterall it's not how but how many...

Doesn't really matter if you hit a 6, 7, or 9i 155 so long as it consistently does the job

Tiger Woods

Medal Winner
Visit site
Anyone wondering why this lot believe that 145 yards with a 7 iron is cool should do a youtube search of a Golf Monthly forum day and you will see why they think anyone in golf is a liar if they hit the ball a decent way.

90% on here like to talk crap about golf like they are the authority while drinking beer and eating pork scratchings rather than improve and hit the ball further than a woman :D

If your under 50 and hit the ball 145 yards with a standard loft 7 iron then you need to have a long think why... Your also the folk who said I was finished :rofl:

D

Deleted member 23270

Anyone wondering why this lot believe that 145 yards with a 7 iron is cool should do a youtube search of a Golf Monthly forum day and you will see why they think anyone in golf is a liar if they hit the ball a decent way.

90% on here like to talk crap about golf like they are the authority while drinking beer and eating pork scratchings rather than improve and hit the ball further than a woman :D

If your under 50 and hit the ball 145 yards with a standard loft 7 iron then you need to have a long think why... Your also the folk who said I was finished :rofl:

Welcome back Tigger, good to see your uncle have a good week at Carnoustie. Did you walk round with him or just watch on telly?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you're carrying it 155 then that's a lot further than most. My carry is 155-160 but I hit it low so I am usually a club or so longer than most (due to delofting which causes me issues when I get up to say 4i).

I'm a bit confused as to what problems you think you have as a 155 carry is plenty (especially with near blades), assuming the gappings are correct through your bag.

Don't get caught up by it, afterall it's not how but how many...

Doesn't really matter if you hit a 6, 7, or 9i 155 so long as it consistently does the job

It's not the distance as such. It's the strike.

I think I am hitting the ball well and pretty consistently with my 7i - but as I play 'almost blades' I know that slight miss-hits can make a difference. But is that difference 15-20yds? I want to be striking the ball well - I don't care that much about distance as long as it's OK - and it sounds like I am getting a good distance - so my concerns over my strike not being that good are reduced.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not the distance as such. It's the strike.

I think I am hitting the ball well and pretty consistently with my 7i - but as I play 'almost blades' I know that slight miss-hits can make a difference. But is that difference 15-20yds? I want to be striking the ball well - I don't care that much about distance as long as it's OK - and it sounds like I am getting a good distance - so my concerns over my strike not being that good are reduced.

There are certainly some club heads out there thst will deliver 10% difference between the sweet spot and an off centre strike.

Why you would play with them is another question.....

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How far are you hitting your driver? I have a swingspeed with the driver of just under 100, carry a well hit driver 225-230 and hit a traditionally lofted 7i around 150

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was 22 handicap and a sprightly 25 year old I hit my 6 iron (equivalent to 7 iron today ) around 180 carry when I became a single figure player in my early 40s I hit my 7 iron 140. These days it's around 130.

Good scores are not about how but about how many.