7 Wood v Hybrid

Fabia999

Visit site
I am the same as you with the slow swing speed.

I have a cobra f9 7w which ive recently put back in the bag because i went through a stage of topping it. goes further than my hybrid but i find it harder to hit. all depends how confident i feel when i come to take the shot.

D

Deleted member 21258

I got a 7 & 9 wood. Have tried a couple of hybrids.

Woods go alot higher, nice and fogiving and run less, so in my eyes more controllable, so have kept the woods. Can hit lows shots with them but high is the natural flight of them.

Biggest minus with woods, is the length of shaft I suppose.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been a 7 wood fan for years. When I last changed clubs I tried the 4 hybrid against a 7 wood. I hit the 4 hybrid all over the place while the 7 wood was a clean straight strike every time.

When I change clubs next time I will be definitely be looking to see if I can try a 9 wood in place of my 5 hybrid.

RichA

Visit site
I'm very much a recent hybrid convert.
Originally had a Ping G400 4-hybrid and just couldn't hit it. Couldn't find a position where it looked or felt right. The toe was always down too much or the face was way closed. Guy giving me lessons told me to just imagine it was my 7 iron. Didn't work at all. Watched countless YouTube tutorials with differing advice - hit down on it like an iron, sweep it like a fairway wood. None of it worked so I eBayed it.
On a whim, I thought I'd try again, but ordered the G400 5 hybrid with +1" longer shaft and midsize grip and experimented. Found my perfect set up was positioning forward like a fairway wood with toe slightly up, which I couldn't achieve with the standard length shaft. As said previously, a gentle, steady, slow swing now gets long high flight. If I go after it, the face closes and it's 30 yards left of target.
It's now the most (only) reliable club in my bag.
Just ordered a 2 hybrid for further experimentation with a view to ditching anything theoretically longer as I'm rubbish with a driver.
I find the flat, iron like face of the hybrid more confidence inspiring than woods.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm very much a recent hybrid convert.
Originally had a Ping G400 4-hybrid and just couldn't hit it. Couldn't find a position where it looked or felt right. The toe was always down too much or the face was way closed. Guy giving me lessons told me to just imagine it was my 7 iron. Didn't work at all. Watched countless YouTube tutorials with differing advice - hit down on it like an iron, sweep it like a fairway wood. None of it worked so I eBayed it.
On a whim, I thought I'd try again, but ordered the G400 5 hybrid with +1" longer shaft and midsize grip and experimented. Found my perfect set up was positioning forward like a fairway wood with toe slightly up, which I couldn't achieve with the standard length shaft. As said previously, a gentle, steady, slow swing now gets long high flight. If I go after it, the face closes and it's 30 yards left of target.
It's now the most (only) reliable club in my bag.
Just ordered a 2 hybrid for further experimentation with a view to ditching anything theoretically longer as I'm rubbish with a driver.
I find the flat, iron like face of the hybrid more confidence inspiring than woods.
I find it strange that after failing miserably with a G400, you went for another G400. Other hybrids are available you know. :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It worked though. The club wasn't the problem. The idiot holding it was.
A few years back when I first tried hybrids, I just bought and sold a load of second hand ones until I found one that worked. Eventually it was the Ping G25 that I found I could actually hit, so I've stuck with them ever since, ha.

RichA

Visit site
A few years back when I first tried hybrids, I just bought and sold a load of second hand ones until I found one that worked. Eventually it was the Ping G25 that I found I could actually hit, so I've stuck with them ever since, ha.
The beauty of discount codes, golf clubs and eBay is that you can buy brand new, test it out for a few weeks then sell it at a minimal loss when you realise it's not a cure for lack of talent.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hybrids used to be hook machines that I had more or less given up on, then I found the right clubhead (Mavrik pro) and shaft (80g KBS tour prototype in x-stiff) and now I have two of them...

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a Ping G-Series SFTec 5 wood which I find so easy to hit off the fairway and first cut. I am 70 and so have a slow swing speed, but I get good distance with it. I’m looking for the equivalent 7 wood, as I suspect that I will hit it better than my 22 degree hybrid.

TigerBear

Visit site
I'm in this exact predicament.

I game a 3 wood ping G and a 3 hybrid, ping G.

The 3h is a go to club and the 4i is now out the bag. I sweep it, so play it similar to a fairway wood (going by YouTube pros that is all wrong) and get consistent results and distance which I'm happy with.

So since I swing these clubs the same I'm swithering between a 7w or 4h. Will test out some clubs before I pull the trigger on it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
First time out with my new 7 wood this morning. Just 5 holes before the comp was cancelled, heavy rain. Very, very promising. Nice and easy to use, good height, decent distance although I don't know what that is yet (strange course, 5C, wind and rain so not a good time to judge). Definitely a club to hit with an easy swing, good news.

The real test is round 2, 3 and 4 of course but as a first outing I am very happy with it.