7 wood and 4 hybrid required ?

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
Last season I invested in a 21.5 deg Ping G series 7 wood, which worked fine, at xmas given i only had 12 clubs in the bag i added a G series 4 hybrid 22 deg.

I am aware that the 7 woods shaft is 2 inch longer than the 4 hybrid and in theory will go further and the bigger head etc, and in fairness it does go about 10 yards more than the smaller headed/ shorter shaft 4 hybrid which i hit consistently well, but i am not convinced it is enough to warrant both. I have tried adjusting the 7 wood down but doesn't help.

I do play to a decent standard (4.1) and dont want to tweak to much ( My Ping 3 wood is 16.6 deg) so just thinking of going from 16.6 to the hybrid at 22

Does anybody have a 7 wood and then an almost equal lofted hybrid?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it depends on what you will use this for.

if you have a few par 3s that are a perfect length for one club, then you might be best keeping the one that suits those 2 shots.

If it is more for hitting longer approaches and these will be generally different lengths, I would go with the one you hit most consistently.

At the end of the day an iron / hybrid is about hitting a consistent distance, not necessarily hitting it the furthest.

Personally I would be playing the hybrid all day over a 7 wood. You are surely going to get better results from that playing from fairway or 1st cut - which is where you will be using it from most often (assuming you don't have a load of 200 yard par 3s).

I have a 3 wood which I love hitting from the tee, but then I go 3 hybrid, 5 iron. If I am 170 out, a good 5 iron might get me there. Any more and I'm hitting my hybrid, knowing that a good hit will never go more than 190 and probably my average will be in the 180s. Obviously it takes a great shot to hit a green from that kind of range, regardless of what club you have so I struggle to see how a 4 iron or 4 hybrid is really going to change my game.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also - if you do make that decision, why not trade in the 7 wood. It will likely still be worth a few quid and get a 19 degree hybrid.

As a 4 handicap, you will probably be capable of getting results and filling that gap, even if it is only used every 2nd round.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I think it's about keeping a gap that you're happy with plus having the option of different shots, so if you're still a club shy of your allowance perhaps you could add a driving iron to the mix? This would allow you to hit a knock down shot the hybrid will fight, with (notionally) more control that your 3 wood. I'm in the process of replacing almost all my clubs for stiff stuff from Regular, so I intend to do a bit of a gap test in spring when the weather gets better. My 4 hybrid may seem superflous, but it's a go-to club, really easy to hit and I can draw it with far better repeatability than any other club, so it's going nowhere even if it doesn't really fit a gap perfectly.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Distances are more important than lofts. I have a 5 iron and 5 hybrid with the same loft but the hybrid goes 12-15 yards further.
Swing speed comes into it too. You may find you're spinning the 7 wood too much - CG low and back - so losing distance compared to the hybrid.
A 19/18 hybrid or similar 5 wood might be a better fit than the 7 wood.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have said the 4h is actually a stronger club than the 7w; but it will come down to the make, model and how they work for you rather than the arbitrary designation (and IMO, lofts simply aren't directly comparable!). I have 2 22° h clubs with the same length shafts but one is significantly stronger and longer for me.