Looking for hybrid recommendations for shortlist

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Hello
At my age, late 70s, my 4 and 5 iron are not getting any further than the 6. And much harder to hit.
I have a 7 wood which I find a lot easier to hit. I'm looking to try a couple of hybrids to replace the 4 and 5.
My 6 now goes only 150-155.
Any thoughts,please.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play with the Benross HTX Compressor 4 and 3, absolutely love them. Great value for money, really good components. i play off 12 and wouldn't change for anything

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Hello
At my age, late 70s, my 4 and 5 iron are not getting any further than the 6. And much harder to hit.
I have a 7 wood which I find a lot easier to hit. I'm looking to try a couple of hybrids to replace the 4 and 5.
My 6 now goes only 150-155.
Any thoughts,please.

I'm a septuagenarian who still hasn't transitioned to hybrids. Many of them are quite good now so perhaps I should.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Definitely worth trying some hybrids. I did struggle with them for a while, tried a few different second-hand ones through trial and error, but eventually landed on the Ping G25 (20°) and it clicked. Age isn't a factor for me yet but I realised the same as you, that I can't get maximum distance from the 5 or 6 irons very often, so I bought two more Ping hybrids to replace them as well. Just swing easy, no tension in the arms and watch them fly.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
What shafts do you have in your irons, stiff, medium, soft, senior?

I have regular shafts. On looking back, it seems that long irons have always failed to make the commensurate distances expected, considering what I achieved with the short irons.
I do not readily take big divots( though the irons stop ok on the greens), so I shall try hybrids. Thanks for the inputs, chaps.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Some things to think about. Hybrids can range from being quite close to irons in shape, to quite close to fairway woods in shape. You may need to experiment but if you liked the 7 wood then may prefer a larger hybrid.
Hybrids typically have longer shafts than equivalent numbered irons. To an extent ignore the number, you are after a length & loft combination that works for you to fit the gap.